Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1forhope Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2004, 11:27 AM
    Security
    Recently divorcing and having utilized many different options to get information from husbands cell, computer, etc. via this site... I've come to realize that security is not as secure as one may think. Can anyone tell me a program or system (I'm not computer literate here) that can secure your own home or business computer from others tapping into it or reading your e-mail or any business conducted on it? OR is there some program that can alert you when someone is trying to get information from your computer? Also, what measures can be taken to prohibit someone acquiring cell phone usage and history. I had, through this site, found a business who when I gave them the name and cell phone #, they were able to provide me with a history of all calls made during a specified time on that phone. Is there anything out there to help that from occurring on my phone?
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Feb 24, 2004, 06:33 AM
    Re: Security
    Recently divorcing and having utilized many different options to get information from husbands cell, computer, etc. via this site... I've come to realize that security is not as secure as one may think. Can anyone tell me a program or system (I'm not computer literate here) that can secure your own home or business computer from others tapping into it or reading your e-mail or any business conducted on it?
    What you need is a "firewall." I don't use windows, but I have heard good things about "Zone Alarm," and I used to use Norton's Firewall.
    Even so, the only way to really protect that information is to find the phone/ethernet cable coming out of your computer, and snip it in half with a pair of scissors. However, running a firewall will make it much more difficult for someone to gain access to that information.

If you're concerned about someone gaining physical access to your computer and installing a monitoring program, you should look in your BIOS and set a power-on password, a CMOS password, and set it to only boot from your hard drive. Then never leave your computer on...

Make sure you aren't running any unnecessary services, such as a web server or ftp server on your computer.

Good luck,
    ~psi42
    1forhope Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2004, 05:21 PM
    What is a CMOS password? How do I establish this? Also, how does one acquire a "Firewall"? Where do you get "Zone Alarm", off the net or in the stores?
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Feb 26, 2004, 07:26 PM
    What is a CMOS password? How do I establish this? Also, how does one acquire a "Firewall"? Where do you get "Zone Alarm", off the net or in the stores?
    I am certainly not a security expert, but... well...

LOCAL "SECURITY:"

This doesn't really work... but if you really want to...

A CMOS (complementary metal oxide semiconductor, at least that's what it stands for, but in this context it refers to what is stored there) password, also probably more correctly called a BIOS (basic input/output system) password, is something set to prevent changes to the settings that control the basic hardware operation of your system, such as allowing the computer to be started from a floppy disk or CD-ROM. To minimize local (note local meaning someone actually is physically present at your computer) security risk, look in the manual that hopefully came in your computer for the secret keypress, which you need to enter when you first turn power to your computer and see the manufacturer logo... most common would be one of the F? Keys... try F1 first...
    Once in, look for something called "boot order," and set the hard drive first. Then look for "power-on password," which will require a password to start the computer, and a CMOS password, which will prevent changes to what you have just done. Not all BIOSes support these features.

Now buy a padlock, and lock the case shut.

Note someone determined enough, could, of course, break the lock, tear of the case, reset the CMOS jumper, change the boot order, and boot from an evil floppy... but this is (a little) better than nothing.

Now for the weakest link... set a windows password.

INTERNET:

A firewall is a piece of software and hardware that sits between you and the internet. Simply put, it lets the things you want in and out, and drops everything else. You can get a firewall in a software store, or from the web. Personally, (because I don't use windows), I use iptables, which (I think) is part of the linux kernel itself, and I configure it through GuardDog, because I haven't really learned how to configure it directly. But I digress...
    It would appear Zone Alarm is here:
    http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp

That said, there is a limit to your security, especially if someone really wants your information in particular.

~psi42

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Log on and security [ 1 Answers ]

Read in help that one should not log on computer as an administrator- how do I ADD MYSELF TO A USER GROUP CORRECTLY? Lfollowed help instructions but was ltold I did it incorrectly.  what are your thoughts... Thanks

Security [ 3 Answers ]

I just installed a new version of Norton's Internet Security. Now a box will pop up asking me if I want to allow certain sites. How can I make an informed decision when it just says hcm.exe. I do not know what program this would allow to execute. Can you tell me what hcm.exe is and how I can find...

Security settings [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I can't seem to view pages when I click on pages for shopping or other sites that redirects me to a secure site. Anyone know how to fix the problem? Currently explorer is in 128 encription and all security settings in internet explorer option is selected (SSL, etc) and I can surf the web...

Security Flaws [ 5 Answers ]

For years I have been advised not to use IE because of browser bloat,security issues,and general boring look of its interface.So after trying Netscape,Opera,and a few odd browsers,which I will not mention,I've finally settled on Firefox.Reliable,open source,quick loading,and apparently,now that the...

Server Security [ 1 Answers ]

I have a good ISP. I recently loaded limewire. Limewire now wants permission to pass thro my firewall to load a Server. Is it safe to give permission?

View more questions Search