Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lillie_marie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2007, 05:47 AM
    Breast Milk
    Hi I wonder if anyone can help me?

I'm 30 and have never been pregnant, I stopped taking my pill in March this year.

The first day of my last period was 16 days ago, for the last week I have had incredile soreness and tenderness in my breasts and they have started leaking what seems to be a milky substance. Is this a sign of pregnancy? Is this normal?

My last period was painful but I was lighter to what I normally am.

Thanks
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 2, 2007, 05:54 AM
    While leaking colostrum, the precursor to breast milk, it is very uncommon in early pregnancy.

You need to make a doctor's appointment and have this checked out. It could be as simple as mastitis (inflammation of the mammary glands), or something more serious.

If you are pregnant, this usually does not occur until the third trimester.
    lillie_marie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2007, 05:56 AM
    Thanks for that think I will, what's the third trimester by the way?
    Expert

Aug 2, 2007, 05:58 AM
    The last three months of pregnancy.
    babieface85 Posts: 332, Reputation: 24

Aug 2, 2007, 08:50 AM
    I have had that happen. I am 25 weeks pregnant and it started happening every 4-5 days just a few weeks ago. However, I don't think it should be white at this stage. I think colostrum should be clear.
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2007, 08:57 AM
    Mine started this week, I'm 19 weeks on Friday... I also agree it would be more clearish yellow at an early stage, getting more milky as you are closer to delivering.

I also agree with J - go to your doctor and have it checked out. It can be many things other than pregnancy, and some are not to be messed with.
    ajhudgins Posts: 39, Reputation: 4

Aug 2, 2007, 09:57 AM
    You think that is a problem!! I have had milk like substance coming out of one nipple ever since I have had my son almost 4 years ago!! Here's the catch... After my son was a year old the milk stuff turned green!! Yeah that is nasty it is still green!!

But yeah you should go to the doctor
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2007, 10:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ajhudgins
    You think that is a problem!!! I have had milk like substance coming out of one nipple ever since I have had my son almost 4 years ago!!!! Here's the catch......................After my son was a year old the milk stuff turned green!!! yeah that is nasty it is still green!!!

But yeah you should go to the doctor
    I hope you went to the doctor. Discharge from the breasts can be very serious if you aren't pregnant or breastfeeding... J-9 can tell you all about it.

Aug 2, 2007, 10:13 AM
    J_9 hit me with what you know about Dark green consistancey of breast milk coming out of one boob for 3 years I can handle it
    Expert

Aug 2, 2007, 10:17 AM
    Have you had a mammogram? This sounds terribly like infection or possibly breast cancer.

What have your doctors said?

Aug 2, 2007, 10:24 AM
    YEAH I WENT TO THE DOCTOR AND HE TESTED IT AND IT IS NOT CANCER!! He gave me some medication that drys you up, but I took one pill and never took it again because it made me feel really dizzy but I know I need to finish it but when you think you could be pregnant you don't want to take meds like that!! I am waiting to start my period then I am going to take the pills and if that don't work then I will go see my OB again!! And I made a mistake I have had colstrom (sp) coming out ever since my son was born 3 1/2 yrs ago and the green has only been there for a year or so
    Expert

Aug 2, 2007, 10:26 AM
    It may not be cancer, no need to shout, but this is what happened to me. Just one of my symptoms.

If it were me, I would have been getting a second opinion LONG ago.
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2007, 10:29 AM
    Wow, are you angry, or just typing in all caps for fun?

What did the doctor test exactly? You should not have fluid coming from the breast past the time you stop breast feeding, especially not green. This is not normal. J_9 has an interesting story, from someone who has been there. You would be surprised how little doctors can know. We are not trying to say you definitely have cancer or anything, all we are trying to do is help, that's what we do. You brought it up and it concerned me.

Aug 2, 2007, 10:29 AM
    I wasn't shouting I didn't realize till half way through that the caps was on sorry! I didn't want to retype everything!! What other symptoms did you have??
    Expert

Aug 2, 2007, 10:36 AM
    You can read all about it here.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/introd...ine-27109.html

Aug 2, 2007, 10:47 AM
    My doctor tested the fluid for a number of things and to mainly see if it was cancerous he put it on a film thing and sent it to the lab!! Gave me the dry up med to try and told me if that didn't work to come back in for more test!! Should I just skip the dry up thing and go for another visit?? J_9 I read your story but the only symptoms I got out of that was a lump and some discomfort I don't have pain and I don't have any lumps and I didn't have any lumps when I went to the doctor about it he did a full exam on me that day! I have done some research and you could have green if your boob rubs on your bra all day or your fondled a lot or some other things but I am not sure what else All I know is I HATE going to doctors and I HATE this green stuff and it doesn't come out on it's own I have to squiz it out!

Aug 2, 2007, 10:50 AM
    J-9 did you have green coming out of your boob?

By the way I am sorry you had to go through what you did and I am sure it made you a stronger woman!!

My sister died from brain cancer that may be why I am not in a big hurry to rush to the doctor its kind of one of those I don't really want to know but I do kind of things
    Expert

Aug 2, 2007, 10:52 AM
    Mine was a dark yellow, almost a greenish color, out of the right breast only.

Aug 2, 2007, 10:57 AM
    Well I just started my period!! So should I take that medicine that dries my ducts up like whey you stop breastfeeding I never dried up after breastfeeding
    Expert

Aug 2, 2007, 10:59 AM
    This should have stopped YEARS ago. You really do need a second opinion. You may need antibiotics.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

BREAST leaking fluid like milk [ 14 Answers ]

I am 29 yrs old female .I was wondering why I squeeze my breast some little amount of milk comes out .is that normal?I have no children.please help me

Tanning and breast milk [ 1 Answers ]

Will laying in a tanning bed effect breast milk?

Saving breast milk [ 8 Answers ]

Is it possible to save breast milk after it has been given in a bottle feeding? Sometimes my granddaughter leaves an ounce or two in the bottle and I hate to throw it away. Must I?

Pumping breast milk [ 6 Answers ]

I am 30 weeks pregnant. My breast are so full that they leak. I have recently bought a breast pump, I plan to pump exclusively. I have read about storing breast milk. Can I begin pumping now? If yes, can I store what I pump, or is this not the kind of milk that the baby will need?

Got Breast Milk? [ 2 Answers ]

This is a little embarrassing. My boobies are feeling heavy and swoll up. Im also leaking fluid from them. There is no way that I am pregnant because I have not been sexually active in 3 years. My children are both also 5 and 6 years old. Is this my body trying to tell me something? Maybe Im...

View more questions Search