Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    attila Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2007, 05:40 AM
    Water in the middle ear
    A week ago I was swimming in the sea and abruptly I felt water flowing into my left ear. It caused pain that later increased. I tried to get the water come out of the ear (jumping on one foot etc), but nothing helped. Since then I keep feeling this water in my left ear.
    Yesterday I went to an ear doctor (ENT) who just looked into my left ear and told me I had an inflammation there and prescribed antibitotic. I asked her whether there was still water in my ear. No water, she said.

But I still feel that something (water?) is behind my eardrum and I don't understand how the doctor could see what is behind the eardrum. I am afraid if there is water there, the inflammation can't be healed and it will only worsen.

My question is: Is it possible that water flows behind the eardrum into the middle ear and it stays there days long and do not come out (e.g. through the Eustachian-tube)?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 2, 2007, 05:47 AM
    The ENT has something called an Otoscope (I have one as a nursing student). What they are seeing is how inflamed the eardrum is, that will tell whether there is water there or not. Most likely you have Otitis Media, which simply means a middle ear infection.

I know what you mean when you describe the sensation of water. But rest assured that unless the eardrum is punctured the water will not go behind the eardrum with what you had experienced.

The antibiotics should be working in about 24 - 48 hours which will help relieve the inflammation of the eardrum.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ear popped and now I can't hear out of my ear at all [ 7 Answers ]

I was wresteling with my kids and husband and we fell to the ground and I popped my ear pretty good and it started hurting went to the beach and got some salt water in my left ear and it was pretty excruating I had to get out of the ocean I went to sleep and when I woke up I couldn't hear out of my...

Stuck in the middle with you [ 3 Answers ]

Who sings the song stuck in the middle with you ?

Middle of the week already? [ 1 Answers ]

Rolls Royce Moshe was at his golf club and went into the clubhouse to see whether anyone could offer him a lift to Hendon. His own car was off the road being serviced. "Sure," said Morry, "I'll give you a lift. My Rolls Royce is just outside." As they're driving along, Moshe says,...

Middle name [ 6 Answers ]

My sister has her names picked out (girl or boy) But we can't think of a middle name to go with Wyatt _____ Can you help

View more questions Search