Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jj1only Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2005, 11:16 AM
    Dvdwr problems
    Purchased a Benq 1620 dvdwr and an enclosure to make a portable drive
    For my laptop. I plugged it into the laptop and the laptop does not find it.
    The enclosure is usb connected version 2.0 My laptop supports 2.0. I have
    Loaded all drivers from disks that I received with both the drive and the enclosure. Can't get the laptop to even recognize that a removable drive is attached. Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Aug 8, 2005, 06:08 AM
    I'm not really familiar with this kind of thing but is the device getting external power source for drive, or is it supposed to be usb powered?

If the device is USB powered - does it spin up (small vibrations on unit) when you plug it in?

Aug 8, 2005, 07:22 AM
    It has an exyernal power supply

Aug 8, 2005, 07:24 AM
    It has an external power supply. It has power to the unit, but the computer is not recognizing it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 8, 2005, 10:19 AM
    I'm not clear as to whether you connected the drive or not. I'm also not greatly familiar with external drive bays, but I think there has to be something in the bay. The system doesn't detect just the bay.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Aug 8, 2005, 10:59 AM
    As the Benq 1620 driver is for internal fitmant via ATA, the only thing I can think of is that your fitmant into an external driver arrangement is flawed somewhere.

Have you checked ALL your connections and fittings ?
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Aug 8, 2005, 11:44 AM
    Check the documentation with the enclosure, the drive might have to be set as master, slave or cable select to work properly on the usb interface.

Failing this (and other suggestions made) do you have another machine to test this unit on? You may get a different result from another PC.

What OS is on the laptop?

Aug 9, 2005, 09:59 AM
    Thanks for the help everyone. In order for this to work, so we have figured out,you have to set the drive to master position. Also you have to power up the unit before you turn on the computer, or it doesn't know it's there. It's
    Working fine now. Time to break something else. Again , thanks. JJ
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 9, 2005, 10:35 AM
    Well I could have told you it had to be powered up to be detected. Just assumed it was. But making it a master is something that would have to be included in the documentation.

Glad you got it going.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gun problems [ 2 Answers ]

My wife loves playing paintball and so do I my question is my wife's gun has messed up the o-ring busted and I replaced it, but air still leaks out.I checked everything twice to see if their was anything else but I can't find anything.does anyone have any clue what's going on.

93 FGM Problems [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 93 Grand Marquis that I've been trying to troubleshoot for a while now. I can't really figure out which it could be, no one in town has the diagnostic for the car for some strange reason not even ford. Well, there are places but they want to charge an arm and leg to test it. What's going...

Dvd problems [ 2 Answers ]

Sometimes I absolutely can not get my DVD player to play a DVD. I can usually get the DVD to play on my computer but I much prefer to watch it on the TV. Any suggestions?

IP Cop problems [ 7 Answers ]

I have an IP Cop firewall that I am using to split my network in half. My setup consists of a Netgear router which goes out to my office netork of 5 or so computers, one of which is my IP Cop box. The IP Cop box then goes to a switch which I plug customer computers into. So essentially I have an...

View more questions Search