Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ncdreamer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2007, 11:11 PM
    Elderly parents and getting out of an apartment lease
    My mother is elderly and now ill and I need to get her moved out of her apartment into my home so I can care for her 24 hours a day. Is there a way to break her lease without having to pay the remainder of the lease? What if one of them died and couldn't afford the apartment could the lease be broken then? Thanks for your help.

Dawn
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2007, 07:14 AM
    Hello Dawn:

If you sign a legal agreement and die before you can complete it, your estate will be responsible. That means if your parents died, and left an estate, that estate will be responsible for fullfilling the contract.

So, if you can't break a lease when they die, you're sure not going to be able to break a lease with them alive.

You CAN negotiate with the landlord. He's obligated to find a tenant as soon as he can anyway (unless you live in Florida).

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 2, 2007, 07:17 AM
    Talk to the landlord. They probably don't want someone dying in their units. They may let you out or just make you responsible until they can find a new tenant.
    ncdreamer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2007, 04:03 PM
    Thank you both for your helpful answers, that's the answer I seem to be finding. Just not what I want to hear. Maybe I can find someone to sublet it and then they can get out of the lease that way. Thanks again.

DAwn
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 2, 2007, 04:18 PM
    If the lease permits a sublet that's a viable alternative.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Apartment lease [ 1 Answers ]

I have lived at my residence in which I share an apartment, My roommate has been on a lease here for over 25years. I moved in around seven years ago. For reasons not important she wants me to leave... I said I was put on the lease or had a supplemental lease in my name... She said I don't... How...

College graduate helping parents buy a new apartment [ 9 Answers ]

Ok. Here is my situation. I recently graduated from college and have been living in Boston with my parents since. I currently live with my 56 years old mother and my dad who no longer works because of a work related injury that left him disabled. My parenst have about $15,000 in the bank that they...

Apartment lease [ 2 Answers ]

I just made a full months deposit and signed a year lease for an apartment. I have not moved into the apartment yet. I am having second thoughts. Can I get my deposit back and void the lease? I signed the lease, yet it doesn't begin for a few more days! The date of lease says 4-30-07,...

Apartment Lease [ 1 Answers ]

I entered 12 month apartment lease in the Dallas area. After one day, I reconciled with my wife and need to cancel my lease. What are MY legal options. The complex wants approximately $2700 to be free and clear. But before I do that, I would like another opinion. Please help.

Sick elderly parents need help with old credit card debt [ 9 Answers ]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hello there. This is my first question on this website. Hopefully someone is able to guide me. My father is 74 and very ill and my mother is 70 with cancer. They were keeping up on their credit card payments...

View more questions Search