Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thecaptain Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2007, 09:53 PM
    Dirt odor from sink; septic tank
    My house is 7 years old and has a septic tank. The disposal motor quit about one week after warranty expired. I put mesh strainers in drain and did not replace disposal since I am the only resident now. It has been nearly 2 years and I have begun to smell dirt (like digging in a garden) around the sink. Just read all the advice about hot water, bleach, etc. which I intend to try (the disposal side does drain, but slowly, and I'd rather not destroy the innards. On the other hand, maybe I should have a new disposal put in (and new hose?). Dishwasher is used once a week; water is mainly run on sink side to rinse off dishes. House was meant for 3 residents plus guests--now water use is minimal. Is that a problem?

Just read not to use bleach because of septic tank. Vinegar's OK, I think. What about drain cleaners?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 2, 2007, 09:33 AM
    You should replace the disposal or remove it and install a P trap. There is likely a build of food debris in the unit and that will bred all sorts of smells. Better than just bleach try this. I've increased the normal a mounts to get some action going in the disposer. Cup of salt mixed with a cup of baking soda, stir and dump into the disposal. Add a pint of vinegar andf allow to sit over night, flush a buckets of hot water in the morning. DON'T PUT YOUR FACE OVER THE DRAIN WHEN YOU ADD THE VINEGAR.
    thecaptain Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2007, 10:25 AM
    Thank you--will replace disposal since the rest of the house is up-to-date (geo-thermal, etc.). I do not like the disposal brand--expensive and it died just after warranty expired. But I understand it is more difficult to put in a different brand. I will return to the appliance store after my upcoming vacation. In the meantime, I will use salt, soda, and vinegar!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Septic tank odor [ 1 Answers ]

I just completed a masterbathroom addition to my 1952, 2/1 home. I had a new septic tank and drainfield put in. Recently, I've detected a sewage odor coming from the old bathroom. There's no smell outside the house. And the odor seems to occur after a heavy rainstorm. This problem never happened...

Septic tank odor in house [ 1 Answers ]

When I do laundry the smell of our septic tank comes in the house. Any ideas about what can solve this??

Septic odor [ 1 Answers ]

Can a smoke test on the septic be done by the home owner? I have a foul odor coming in my house from somewhere when I use the water.

Dirt in Laundry sink [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have noticed a bunch of dirt inside my laundry sink after doing laundry. The sink is in my basement and my washing machine water drains into that sink. What does this mean?:confused:

Septic Odor [ 1 Answers ]

For the past 3 months or so every time we flush the toilet it smells like sewage. It has only gotten worse and worse. It only seems to happen when we flush the toilet and will eventually go away... until we flush again. It stinks up the entire house now. We have tried to put stuff down the...

View more questions Search