Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BruJan Posts: 38, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2007, 05:40 PM
    Lightning rod performance
    Do lightning rods attract or repel lightning or simply provide a conductor which minimizes damage for the occasional lightning strike of a building? Seems like its difficut to find out if or why they work.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2007, 10:20 PM
    They provide a conductive route to ground that goes around buildings rather than through them.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 2, 2007, 09:50 AM
    The intent is to attract lightning ad shunt it safeky to earth. By putting a grounded rod above the level of the structure you're protecting, the rod is more likely to get hit by lightning than the structure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Lightning strikes [ 5 Answers ]

:confused: can lightning strike twice in the same place?:confused:

Skin lightning [ 2 Answers ]

What is the best products out there and what do the dark celebreties us to lighten their skin

Thunder and lightning physics [ 1 Answers ]

hello everyone Could You tell me how to calculate the movement in time of thunder and lightning. I Would like to know why thunder comes before lightning:::how do you calculate the equation of the time level of thunder to lightning my calculation is represented as 5 seconds to 1 mile away...

Skin lightning [ 1 Answers ]

Why is it OK for white people in england able to use sun beds, that can cause skin cancer, and are able to buy creams that really do work and give them a tan. Yet anything that works to lighten dark skin is banned, in england. And why is OK for a white person to say they want to have an all year...

Lightning products [ 2 Answers ]

I want to know how 2 make my skin lighter.I don't understand because when I look in da mirror I am light,but people tell me I am dark.Anyone haz any skincare products or home remedies, help me.I am so confused

View more questions Search