Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2007, 12:24 PM
    Paul Revere's famous ride: The British are coming!
    I've heard more than once that there is more to the story of Paul Revere's famous ride than is taught.

I've heard that he was so drunk that the ride was short. He fell off his horse and was caught. Another finished warning the people and was the true hero that saved the day.

I've googled a variety of terms/phrases and can't find mention of it at all.

Has anyone else heard of a story like this?
    sGt HarDKorE Posts: 656, Reputation: 98

Aug 1, 2007, 12:29 PM
    He wasn't drunk, he was killed. He was riding with another person, so that person finished the ride. The only reason paul is in the song is because his name fit in better.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Aug 1, 2007, 12:30 PM
    I had heard there were 2 riders, but not because he was drunk. It was simply logistics... he couldn't cover all of the areas himself in so short a time.

Paul Revere was well-known at the time as a silversmith, plus "Revere" is fairly easy to rhyme, so made it into the famous poem.

This is from almost 20 years ago, so forgive me if the facts aren't QUITE right
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2007, 12:34 PM
    The reports of events are always a bit more dramatic than the actual event itself, don't you think.

Have you ever been interviewed by a newspaper reporter? I have a couple of times and the story they print is so different from what I remember saying.
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2007, 12:38 PM
    Scott; excellent point. I do read on biography.com that Paul Revere died in 1818. I count them as a reliable source.

Synnen; I do think I recall now that part of the story was that he and another rider were calling out the warning... and that Revere did not get far, and got caught.

I don't know what made me think of this today, but I'd love to find a reliable source for the full story.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 1, 2007, 12:42 PM
    Two riders set out from Boston, Revere and William Dawes, taking different routes. As they rode towards Lexington they issued the warning that the British regulars were coming out. Other riders also started to further spread the message. Revere and Dawes reached Lexington. They then headed out to Concord joined by Samuel Prescott. They ran into a roadblock where Prescott and Dawes managed to escape while Revere was detained. Prescott was the only one who actually reached Concord.

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow immortalized the ride (which, up until then was a mere footnote in history) taking a number of liberties with the facts. For a more accurate description try David Hackett Fischer's book Paul Revere's Ride (1995).
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2007, 01:36 PM
    Thanks, Scott: Great! That gives some excellent keywords/keyterms for further research.
    augustknight Posts: 83, Reputation: 31

Aug 23, 2007, 08:42 PM
    Also I may add, he did not ride and shout at the same time. He rode to specific individuals households and informed them of the impending British action. These individuals in turn rounded up the locals. So it was more of a 'pony express' where he traveled from station to station. He was no less a heroic patriot but just not as dramatic as the story implies.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How can I Become A Famous Singer? [ 9 Answers ]

Hi!! My Name is Genny and I am 11 yrs old. I have an AMAZING voice. People are always saying that I should be famous for singing! But there are a few problems. One, I can't find any agent:confused: . Two, I don't know if my family could afford for me to be in any contests if they cost a lot of...

Famous scientists [ 4 Answers ]

Who are the most famous scientists of all time?

View more questions Search