Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    consulting2003 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2004, 07:58 PM
    Locking The Workstation
    Hello
    I read that I can lock my workstation on my Windows XP computer by hitting the windows key + L but I have never done it for fear that I won't be able to unlock it. The times I have read about this only tells how to lock the workstation and nothing about how to unlock it. My husband says you probably hit the same keys again to unlock it, but that wouldn't make it very secure. I'm dying to lock it by doing this, but I'm afraid I won't be able to unlock it. Can you tell me how to unlock it? Thanks, Mary
    Hishnika Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2004, 09:25 PM
    Re: Locking The Workstation
    Hi,
    Well in order for locking to work properly from my experience, you have to create a logon password which will appear every time you start windows. When you press the magic keys what happens is the computer goes to the logon screen again. You can try it now if you don't have to type a logon password. It will display the users and programs running on the computer. Click on your username to get back in and if you have set a password, type it in. That's all there is. A good thing about this locking type is that even if a malicious user reboots your computer somehow, they'll still end up at the logon screen with the password prompt after reboot.

One thing to remember is that anyone can still create a guest account and logon to use the computer. I'm not sure how accessible your account's files are from the guest account though... anybody else know?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

20 Amp 110V Locking Plug adapter [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I recently purchased a core drill with a locking plug, 20 Amp/110 V, which I hope to use at any location, not in a single shop. I would like to know if it is possible to find an extension already built to handle this for use at any location (with a non-locking, standard 3 wire male end)....

Locking Down IE [ 4 Answers ]

I have about 10 users that access 10 different pcs in a facility that is open 24hrs. I want to be able to deny them access to the internet. I can not do anything hardware specific and they must be connected to the same intranet as everyone else. I can't put them on a router. I would settle for...

View more questions Search