Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sueo0219 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2007, 08:33 AM
    Ovulation
    Do you ovulate when having a period? I am 45 and tyring to get pregnant but haven't been having a regular period but this month I had a real one. However my doctor said maybe I am peri-menopausal, hence the irregular periods. So since I had a real period in July, would I be ovulating still or does that stop with age?
    jrb252000 Posts: 410, Reputation: 28
    -

Aug 1, 2007, 08:47 AM
    You can buy a home ovulation kit but ovulation usually occurs 2 weeks prior to your period. You might still be ovulating if you had a regular period. However I'm sure your doctor discussed the risk of becoming pregnant at your age. Good luck to you.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Aug 2, 2007, 08:43 AM
    What he may mean by pre-menopausal is that your body is slowing down and you probably won't ovulate regularly (every month). Its possible you could be, but it would be far less predictable. Eggs are released (ovulation) aprox. 2 weeks before you get your period. Menopause is when you can no longer ovulate, so until that happens, you have some eggs left.

Keep in close contact with your physician; there are several risks involved for you and a fetus to get pregnant at this point in your life.

Good luck with everything.
    rankrank55 Posts: 1,259, Reputation: 177
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2007, 08:48 AM
    Ovulation usually takes place 14 days after the beginning of your menstrual cycle. The time of ovulation within the menstrual cycle is determined by the luteal phase, which is usually 12 to 16 days long. You can calculate the time of ovulation within your cycle by subtracting the length of your luteal phase from the length of your cycle. The exact time of ovulation may vary within your cycle, because ovulation can be delayed by a number of factors such as stress, illness, diet, or increased physical activity. It would be best for you to buy a couple of OPK's and test everday of your cycle. Good luck to yah!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

About ovulation [ 3 Answers ]

How many days before and after your period are you ovulating? Also how do you know if you can have children or not?

Take look.ovulation? [ 1 Answers ]

I have detected my LH surge with a home ovulation kit but I have not seen very much of the egg white discharge. I detected it this morning and the morning before but I did not see the discharge throughout the day. I had intercourse the two nights before I noticed the discharge so could it be semen?...

Ovulation [ 1 Answers ]

If my periods are irregular do I ovulate twice a month

Ovulation [ 1 Answers ]

Is stress a big factor in delaying ovulation. My LMP is just November 11 '05.. when is the best time for intercourse? I'd like to get preggy. Thanks!

View more questions Search