Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xxvickyxx Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2007, 04:14 AM
    Belly dance blues
    Hi,
    I would like to learn how to belly dance but I'm not sure how to??
    I can do some moves with my belly but how do I learn more??
    There aren't any places round here to learn. I am only 12!! ;)
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2007, 04:26 AM
    There are instructional DVDs. You can look on Amazon.com there are tons! It's a lot of fun and a great cardio workout.
    squeaks77 Posts: 113, Reputation: 19
    -

Mar 3, 2008, 04:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by xxvickyxx
    Hi,
    I would like to learn how to belly dance but im not sure how to????
    I can do some moves with my belly but how do i learn more????
    There arent any places round here to learn. I am only 12!!!!;)
    Hey, there is a ton of instruction for free on Youtube.com And many videos have clips on Youtube so you can see the video before buying it (dance videos are generally expensive! ).
    Izannah Posts: 125, Reputation: 18

Apr 4, 2008, 09:01 PM
    There ARE tons of instructional videos out there, but like everything else not all are created equal! I would suggest getting a peek of whatever video you are looking to buy to make sure it's not just any Yahoo out there with a hip scarf on gyrating offbeat to the music.

You want something that will focus on technique from the beginning so you get the good habits down, like posture and basic movements. If you have digital cable available, I know that some areas have fitness channels that run some beginner bellydance shows like Shimmy.

Have you thought about what kind of bellydance you want to do? There's the bellydance everyone thinks of (skimpy outfit, "Hollywood/Vegas" style... aka Raqs Sharqi or Orientale Bellydance), there's the more folk variety (more along the lines of the real historical dances of the Middle Eastern region), there's Tribal (some say American Tribal Style... but you see any American tribes running around? Check out Fat Chance Bellydance for a good example) and there's tribal fusion (a lot of troupes and artists are using alternative/goth type music). I'm not claiming to be an expert here and I may have missed a few styles, but those are the most common you'll see around.

Whatever style you choose... you will LOVE it. I WISH I would have started at your age! I was in my 30's before I started and fell in love. Not only is it great exercise and absolute tons of fun, you will learn to appreciate your body no matter what size or shape you are. It's not so bad having hips when you know what to do with 'em!

Also, don't just learn the dance moves, learn a bit about the history of the dance, those beautiful fore-mothers who used dance to entertain, heal, celebrate, love. Where it comes from, the different types of music and beats (beledi, saidi, cheftetelli), the instruments. (Solace has a great CD for learning the rhythms... Rhythm of the Dance... also has instructions for playing the rhythms on your zills -finger cymbals).

Oh and then you'll fall in love with all the costumes! There are some very good sites out there that sell all kinds of hip accentuating scarves and costumes or can give you tips on making your own. Just Google and go to town!

I hope you find some great instructional videos. As you research around, you'll become familiar with some of the greatest dancers or see someone and say "I wanna move like that!"... well then find out where they started or if they have a beginner instructional video and start your collection from there.

Good luck and happy dancing!
    marlousmd Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2008, 05:09 AM
    Hi, As well as dvd's (try different versions from library's) you can also borrow or buy bellydance books which show each movement and give details on how to move your body. Also a cd of belly dance music will get you moving! Check with your local council to see if there are any dance schools that suit what you want. Enjoy!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blues [ 4 Answers ]

My wife has used my credit card and has previously been making payments on it, basically its her card and , (at least as far as our household is concerned). Recently she failed to make the appropriate payments and now the card is passed due. I contacted the company and asked if they could lower the...

DDR Dance Dance Revolution question [ 2 Answers ]

I have a question regarding DDR but first let me set the stage for my knowledge and expectations. First, I'm no gamer by ANY stretch of the imagination. I played Zork in College and once in a blue moon I'll play frogger. But if I'm interested in something I usually try not to let cost get in...

What blues song is this. [ 2 Answers ]

I only know some of the lyrics and it is driving me crazy. "She's 24 in the waist, the prettiest girl I've ever seen, she .... oh what a scene" "She's mine, tell the world that girl is mine" I tried to Google but I have had no luck. Also, I really want to buy the album that this is on, so...

View more questions Search