Aug 1, 2007, 02:46 AM
    21st Century Tithing.
    Would you tithe:

1. More
    2. Less
    3. The Same
    4. Be Highly Offended
    5. I don't tithe at all.

IF your place of worship accepted Debit and Credit Cards????

What say YOU? [and I will tell you what the most popular answer was to this? Based on the poll already taken in the local area... later on in the thread.]

Should this even be an accepted form for giving?

Personally, I'm on the fence with this type of offering.:confused: I can see the debit card being "somewhat" acceptable as that comes directly out of funds on hand... BUT... charging your offering, NO WAY!
    What really bothers me, is that it may "guilt" those that TRULY can not afford it at the time into giving, which only causes additional hardship on those families.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 1, 2007, 04:01 AM
    Debit card use is chargeable at the bank so you may be offering more then you want to. I don't think the church would want to put the technology in place for either debit or credit cards.

I don't care cause I don't go to church, just putting in my two cents worth.

I find your disclaimer offensive and immature and not at all amusing.

Do you not have something better to do with your time.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 1, 2007, 06:15 AM
    Most churches and non profit groups do take debit cards and credit cards on their web sites for donations. I know my own grouop does.

We find it an excellent way for members who are traveling or living away to continue to give to their church and group.

It is merely a form of payment and has its place.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2007, 11:05 AM
    Credit cards are a way of obtaining a loan... it is debt.

Unless used for convenience and paid off at the end of the month, credit cards are not acceptable.

One of the blessings of tithing in cash is that it forces an individual to pay attention to his finances, close attention, in order to contribute that 10% a month.

It is very important to learn whether one's church receives funds from the Federal Government because these funds would be for social services so an individual can cut down his tithe proportionally to the amount of $$ the church receives.
    go-ask-mom Posts: 115, Reputation: 18

Aug 1, 2007, 11:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle
    Debit card use is chargeable at the bank so you may be offering more then you want to. I dont think the church would want to put the technology in place for either debit or credit cards.

I dont care cause I dont go to church, just putting in my two cents worth.
    MANY churches already have this option in place/use. I suppose one WOULD have to go, to know. Now, how would you like your $.02 deducted.....credit or debit?! :D

I find your disclaimer offensive and immature and not at all amusing.
    Well I'll be sure to note that and file it appropriately! (as you'd be the FIRST to find it that way!) However, according to "popular demand" (I've received many messages of the exact opposite)....it shall remain! :p

Do you not have something better to do with your time.
    Why yes, yes I do! AND....I'm doing it! I'm making you waste YOUR TIME on a question you admitedly have no experience/effect on!

Now, ........go take on the day! :)

ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 1, 2007, 12:12 PM
    Since you're keeping your disclaimer, you should proof read it a little closer and correct the typos - there are at least 4!
    statictable Posts: 436, Reputation: 34

Aug 1, 2007, 01:52 PM
    Hello Hotersville MOM: Well young lady I took a survey. Of 38 human adults of which 24 were male and 14 female with the majority in or graduated from a University, each was asked to read a copy of your "small print." Each was asked "liked it" or "didn't like it." Results: 27 liked it and the remainder didn't. Of the 27, 10 were female. Well done I would say.

Aug 1, 2007, 06:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by statictable
    Hello Hotersville MOM: Well young lady I went ahead and took a survey. Of 38 human adults of which 24 were male and 14 female with the majority in or graduated from a University, each was asked to read a copy of your "small print." Each was asked "liked it" or "didn't like it." Results: 27 liked it and the remainder didn't. Of the 27, 10 were female. Well done I would say.
    Lmao!! Too... Two... To... FUNNY!! :p

I'm glad they were of the "human" kind! :eek: lol

Aug 1, 2007, 06:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines
    Since you're keeping your disclaimer, you should proof read it a little closer and correct the typos - there are at least 4!

Are you kidding!?! Only 4?? Surely you jest?!:rolleyes:

Typo's serve a purpose, my little spellchecker friend!;) Why what else would "forum spellcheckers" of the "HUMAN" kind have to do with their time?? Contribute? Oh thee horror!!!:eek:

They're everywhere, every forum has one or ten! So nice to be able to draw you out! Keep up the good work....but don't go tellin' all the other ones, let them find them(=typos) all on their own! This gives them that "accomplishment feeling" they seem to NOT be able to get out in the REAL world!! So shhhhhush now! It's the typo game..........MUUU HAA HA HA!! MUUU HAAA HAA HAA! MU HA, what, not funny? lmao!:D

Now......bring on the "smiley counters"!! I'm soooo armed!

Aug 1, 2007, 07:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Most churches and non profit groups do take debit cards and credit cards on thier web sites for donations. I know my own grouop does.

We find it an excellent way for members who are traveling or living away to continue to give to thier church and group.

It is merely a form of payment and has its place.

I can understand any church website accepting donations this way... but I am talking IN the actual church. I don't know how it would be done, but as the offering plate comes around would this be something you wouldn't mind seeing?

Just curious, as there is no right or wrong answer IMO. It's a preference, I suppose. Like I said, I don't know how they would institute it, but its something being asked of church goers.

Have a :) Day!
    Marily Posts: 457, Reputation: 51

Aug 1, 2007, 11:43 PM
    Is there honestly such a church that would accept debit and credit cards? Wow !

Aug 2, 2007, 12:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Marily
    Is there honestly such a church that would accept debit and credit cards? Wow !
    Yes, it seems that several do. And I would almost bet that EVERY church that has its own website is also set up to take "donations" in the form of credit or debit.

I know that Joel Olsteins site accepts donations in this form. I only use him as an example because of his extremely large following! But again, IN the church is where I am not comfortable with it. Would there be ATM/Credit machines in every corner? I guess I'm not ready to move forward w/technology! :)

Aug 2, 2007, 12:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by go-ask-mom
    Would you tithe:

1. More
    2. Less
    3. The Same
    4. Be Highly Offended
    5. I don't tithe at all.

IF your place of worship accepted Debit and Credit Cards????

[and I will tell you what the most popular answer was to this ?? based on the poll already taken in the local area.....later on in the thread.]

As stated, I will tell you the results of the actual poll.

Now this was a poll given by our local churches on the local news channel, which is in a town of about 120,000 itself, but reaches SEVERAL rural areas....so around 250-300,00 give or take! (If any of this even makes a difference?!)

But.....- THEE MOST POPULAR ANSWER TO THE QUESTION WAS........

#5. I DON'T TITHE AT ALL.

I was shocked and a little saddened.
    Marily Posts: 457, Reputation: 51

Aug 2, 2007, 12:30 AM
    Im speechless... I never knew this
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2007, 12:37 AM
    Were all of the people polled churchgoers?

Aug 2, 2007, 10:36 AM
    I highly doubt that all of the people polled- or asked were "pew sitters"......BUT STILL!!!

I'm assuming that the majority were, or why else would they waste their time answering.
    I'm also figuring probably a 70-30 % split ......30% being non church goers/ or "seasonal" ones! lol

Still....its sad that the most popular response was "they don't tithe at all"!!! That shocks me more than the technology itself.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2007, 10:39 AM
    You have to be careful with stats. Most popular could be 24% of the vote, with the other 4 options getting 19% of the vote. Not all that shocking. If they don't put it into context then you have to realise they're probably hiding something and they're just trying to get their message across with sneaky wording of the stats.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 2, 2007, 10:49 AM
    I'm not all that surprised - I would suspect that most church members make a pledge on the amount of their annual contributions at the beginning of the year, but don't actually calculate the pledge as a percent of their income. Even if one makes a pledge of, say, $5K to one's church this year, the amount is not actually a tithe unless the figure was derived as a percentage of income - correct?
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2007, 10:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Choux
    Credit cards are a way of obtaining a loan... it is debt.

Unless used for convenience and paid off at the end of the month, credit cards are not acceptable.
    Excuse me? There many, many people that actually pay off their credit cards every month. But I do agree that if it becomes debt with interest then I believe God would probably frown on giving him what you don't have.

One of the blessings of tithing in cash is that it forces an individual to pay attention to his finances, close attention, in order to contribute that 10% a month.
    And another blessing is in discovering how much better you may actually do with less money, seeing how God is blessing you and providing for you.

It is very important to learn whether one's church receives funds from the Federal Government because these funds would be for social services so an individual can cut down his tithe proportionally to the amount of $$ the church receives.
    That's about the silliest thing I've ever heard on the subject of giving. What someone else gives or where else the church may receive funding has NOTHING to do with what YOU should give.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2007, 11:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by go-ask-mom
    Yes, it seems that several do. And I would almost bet that EVERY church that has its own website is also set up to take "donations" in the form of credit or debit.

I know that Joel Olsteins site accepts donations in this form. I only use him as an example because of his extremly large following! But again, IN the church is where I am not comfortable with it. Would there be ATM/Credit machines in every corner?? I guess I'm not ready to move forward w/technology! :)
    Mom... may I call you mom? I doubt most of these churches have an ATM but it wouldn't surprise me if some did. Actually, I think the way it works is just like everything else. Besides the Osteen types, I know some churches have the option online available only to their members, password protected. Many people just pick up the phone and call it in to the church, or the church could place lines on their giving envelopes for credit/debit card information just like you see on utility or doctor bills.

Many do accept debit cards but do not accept credit cards for obvious stewardship reasons - which is where I stand personally on the issue. Ours - a fairly large church here - accepts neither at this time, but I use my debit card for most everything else so why not my offering?

Steve

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can Tithing Cause Blessings? [ 34 Answers ]

Does The Bible Support Tithing in This Present Kingdom Age of Grace? And does Tithing bring yourself personal gain and blessings? Intrested to hear people's views on this ! Malachi 3:10 Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now...

Home Security for the 21st Century [ 9 Answers ]

I was looking to survey what services and fees (if any) people subscribe to for their home security system. In addition, if you are using a pay/fee-based service - do you feel the cost/fee is reasonable? Secondly, what feature(s) do you like the best about the system? If you ignore...

Buick century [ 4 Answers ]

My buick century has a acceleration problem between 30-50mph I've tried everything but can't figure it out,help

Buick century custom [ 2 Answers ]

What is the differents between buick century and buick century custom?

Sixteenth-century art [ 1 Answers ]

I have been learning about art history, but do not fully understand it. I was hoping that someone could give a little clarification on the difference between artwork that was made for private patrons and for sacred artwork? Thank You Taryn

View more questions Search