Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    12apple34 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2007, 02:37 PM
    Avoiding double tax in India and USA
    I am based in India and I am planning to write a book and the publishers are based in USA .
    Can someone tell me how I can avoid double taxation on the royalty of the book, as I think there is a double taxation treaty between USA and India.

The publishers have asked me to fill form W-8BEN, but I am not sure how I would be able to save double taxation on the same. Can I avoid tax being cut in US

Thanks in advance
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 1, 2007, 12:17 PM
    Publishing royalties are normally taxed at 30% for non-resident aliens.

Though I am not an expert in Indian Tax Law, I suspect that you will be able to claim a credit against your India income tax for payment of this 30%. This effectively avoids the double taxation that you are afraid of.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Import electronic item from USA to india [ 5 Answers ]

Hi all, I wanted to have a digital camera couriered from Chicago to Mumbai, India. Can anyone guide me about the excise and duties I would face. Is there anyway I can avoid these? Help please! :o

Avoiding Double Taxation [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I have lived in the US for the past 7 years on a work visa. I will be moving to India this month and plan to continue working with my company here. My company does not have an office in India. Since I will be rendering services from India, I understand my tax liability is to the Indian...

Relationship Usa-India [ 1 Answers ]

Is there any hidden relationship for money or political power anyhow between Usa and India?

For F-1 Students is whole 'Stipend' income tax exempt under India-Usa Treaty ? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I entered USA in the August of 2005 on F-1 Visa. I received a graduate assistantship for one year and later on became a Research Assistant (RA) in my department. Being an RA entitles me to full tuition remission and am paid a stipend of 18K per year. When I filed my taxes previously with...

Double Taxation between USA and India [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am a resident in India and I was a resident alien in USA previously for 6 years and have filed US taxes. Now I am in India, but earning Capital gains and interest income in USA. I am paying taxes in India for my golbal income. Do I have to pay taxes in US for the capital gain and...

View more questions Search