Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    davensharma Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Aug 3, 2005, 04:27 PM
    Deductibility of interest and property taxes
    What are the rules for deducing interest and taxes on a parcel of land that is brought as an investment with an intent to build and sell multiple housing units on the parcel in the near future?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 4, 2005, 05:41 AM
    Davensharma:

The property taxes are deductible as an itemized deduction unless you are subject to the Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT), in which case they are not deductible.

The interest can be deductible (at least partially) as an itemized deduction if your intent is to use one or more or the housing units as either your primary or secondary home. If not, then you can add the interest to the property basis to reduce the capital gains taxes you would pay on the profit when you sell the housing units. The same thing can be done with the property taxes is the AMT is an issue for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxes on inherited property [ 4 Answers ]

I inherited property from step mother who had life estate of property which belonged to my father. My brother had already past away but had two daughters so I received 1/2 and they 1/4 each. Do I have to figure taxes on my half? Do I have to pay taxes on it or report it on my taxes? Thanks for your...

Student loan interest deductibility [ 1 Answers ]

In 2005, I was on F1 until Sept 30, and then my status was changed to H1B starting from Oct 1. CINTAX has determined that I had to use 1040NR-EZ to file my tax return. It said I was not eligible to claim student loan interest for my tax return since I was not in F1 visa status as of 31 Dec 2005....

Property taxes/lien on property [ 2 Answers ]

We have been taking care of the rental properties across the street from us for many years as the landlord lives in Arkansas. We have never been paid for these services. We repair and maintain these properties, and the last tenants we even collected the rent and deposited into the landlord’s...

Inherited Property Being Sold- Taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

My father died and left property in trust for my mother, my brother and I. (40 years ago.) My mother dies in 1989, and the property transferred to my brother and I. The trust was dissolved in 1994. I have paid taxes on this property continuously. The property value has increased 10x. It...

Question about property taxes in CA [ 1 Answers ]

If I buy a house for $600,000 in California, my mother's Dad said that the property taxes will be $9000. Is this true? Is it the same for townhomes or condos?

View more questions Search