Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 12:10 PM
    Fashion Problems Survey
    I am in the process of starting my own business and a component of this business is assisting women with style/fashion problems.

I am trying to create problem solving types of methods but am having a hard time coming up with potential problems.

Would anyone like to share with me some of their fashion concerns? Any help is so appreciated :D
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 12:25 PM
    One fashion problem I run into is that I am 40 years old and the clothes I find available in the mall are either for teeny boppers or the nursing home. If I can find anything in my size, which leads to...

Fashion problem #2: Finding fashionable clothes in a size above a 12 is really a challenge. The "plus size" stores usually have things in 20w and above. There isn't a lot of choice for those of us that are 14s and 16s. We're too big for the clothes sold at the Gap, NY, NY and Lerner and too small for Torrid and Lane Bryant.
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 12:28 PM
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Jul 31, 2007, 12:31 PM
    HTH

What's appropriate for job interviews depending on the level of job qualifications?

Proper funeral attire - only certain colors allowed - what about time of year?

Inexpensive ways for any budget to look fashionable/age appropriate

Buying the right size for your shape (shoes & undergarments included)
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 12:36 PM
    LOL that's sort of what the business will be like... thanks Learning!
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 12:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emland
    Fashion problem #2: Finding fashionable clothes in a size above a 12 is really a challenge. The "plus size" stores usually have things in 20w and above. There isn't a lot of choice for those of us that are 14s and 16s. We're too big for the clothes sold at the Gap, NY, NY and Lerner and too small for Torrid and Lane Bryant.
    Exactly! I am a size 16 and cannot find clothes ANYWHERE! I get them from Torrid even though they're too big, because I figure too big is better and more comfortable than too small.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Jul 31, 2007, 12:53 PM
    Don't even get me started on my 49yr old mother's choice of 19 year old's clothing. I'm 28 and I won't wear what she tries to get away with! No, mom, mesh shirts are not okay... even if they're black.

When can I sign her up? ;)
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jul 31, 2007, 12:55 PM
    I HATE that larger sizes (I wear between 14 and 18, depending on style) are sooooo geared to my mother's generation! I can't find fashionable, flattering clothing ANYWHERE.

I would love to be able to go to a store, and have someone SHOW me the types of clothing that look great on me, without spending a fortune, or having to change my style completely.

I'm 33, and everything seems to be either geared towards career women, mommies (I'm not one) or party girls. What happened to casual chic?

I'm so sick of how most styles are designed for a size 6 and then just made wth more fabric for a size 16, instead of taking into account that the SHAPE of a larger size is different. For example... a LOT of shirts are cut to emphasize smaller breasts, make them look larger, that sort of thing. I can't find a nice, tailored looking shirt that buttons up and doesn't gape over my chest.
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 12:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen
    I'm 33, and everything seems to be either geared towards career women, mommies (I'm not one) or party girls. What happened to casual chic?
    What is a mommy style? I'm a mommy myself, and didn't know mommies had their own style.
    Expert

Jul 31, 2007, 01:04 PM
    LOL... I'm sorry, I wasn't disparaging mothers at all. I was thinking MY mother's style--that is to say--baggy, loose, and with LOTS of BIG prints.

My apologies if I offended. It wasn't intentional.
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 01:04 PM
    I think Syn is talking about "mom jeans" the light washed, tapered jeans that go up to right below the boob line, topped with a shapeless knit shirt and ugly shoes.

Am I right?
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 01:05 PM
    I think Syn is talking about "mom jeans" the light washed, tapered jeans that go up to right below the boob line, topped with a shapeless knit shirt and ugly shoes.

Am I right?

Ewwwww yuck I hate that look.
    Expert

Jul 31, 2007, 01:06 PM
    That works too, Em.

It's mostly the No Style Because I'm Too Busy With Kids Look that I was thinking of.

Not all moms are like that, not even MOST are like that... but I see my sister and a couple of friends heading that direction and it scares me.
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 01:06 PM
    I've been caught in public looking like that a few times. It is an easy slope to slide down.
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 01:07 PM
    That reminds me of stuff I see on "what not to wear".. lol
    GoldieMae Posts: 263, Reputation: 89

Jul 31, 2007, 01:07 PM
    JEANS!!

I hate trying them on. I hate the low waist and muffin tops. I hate that there is nothing in between mom jeans and teeny bopper jeans. I'm too young for tapered legs and high waists, and too old for the belly baring sparkly pocket versions, and I now have muffin tops, what is with that? I find denim terribly traumatizing.

What exactly is corporate casual? I can't wear khakis and a LaCoste shirt. Do I have to buy a more kicky version of a suit (with the same price tag as a conservative suit) to meet the dress code?

And, just like all the other ladies, say: Why isn't there an affordable chic for 30-somethings? I can find the clothes, just can't afford them.
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 01:08 PM
    I've been caught in public looking like that a few times. It is an easy slope to slide down.
    I've worn regular jeans and a long T-shirt before, actually I do that quite often. Not the pants up to the boobs thing though. One time I had to go out in the middle of the night for children's tylenol and went in my jammies... lol.
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 01:09 PM
    You guys are rocking my world. Don't worry when my site goes live I'll make a post :)

Learning you will be able to sign your mom up by September :)
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 01:12 PM
    I have another idea. Cute stuff for girls to wear on there head! The hats I've seen lately in PacSun are horribly ugly. Baseball caps work for girls sometimes, but we want the cutesy stuff to!
    GoldieMae Posts: 263, Reputation: 89

Jul 31, 2007, 01:17 PM
    Okay, sign my mom up too.

She's only 18 years older than me, bless her heart, but dresses like she's 18 years younger than me. She wears low waisted jeans that are a little tight on her "pooch", a little too wide at the ankle (bell bottom), sparkly hair accessories, sparkly pockets, tight shirts that have pictures if hello kitty on them, short shorts:eek:, bangs, her hair goes ALL the way down her backside. She still wears acid wash denim, full outfits of it, circa 1988, baby doll dresses that are just a skoche too short, but oddly enough, really sensible shoes (birkenstocks or some brown loafery things). I love her to death, but she really needs some help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fashion jewelry [ 3 Answers ]

Is vintage costume jewelry, like Napier back in style?

Fashion [ 4 Answers ]

I have a black tube top dress for my formal, everyone else has basically the same thing. How do I make mine look different?

Fashion design [ 1 Answers ]

What would the required high school courses be for fashion design?

Old Fashion [ 8 Answers ]

Can you still find men who are into old fashion courtship?

Victorian fashion [ 1 Answers ]

Was victorian fashion over the period 1830 -1870 available to all classes? If not then which classes was it available to? And what did the other classes that it wasn't available to do for fashion and clothes?

View more questions Search