Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PrincessOfAThousandDays Posts: 52, Reputation: 2

Jul 31, 2007, 09:08 AM
    What's the difference?
    What's the difference between the birth control if its prescribed for period pains or one for contraceptive use ?

Also if you list different brands of pill for me to research it would be much appreciated because I can't find any named on the web.
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 09:12 AM
    It's the same pill. The pill regulates your cycle so it can ease things like cramps and heavy flow.
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 09:13 AM
    There really is no difference, except when they are prescribed for period pains or irregular period, it is usually low hormone.

Here is a list of different brands for you, just scroll down a bit : Birth Control Pills - Page 3

Jul 31, 2007, 09:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by GlindaofOz
    Its the same pill. The pill regulates your cycle so it can ease things like cramps and heavy flow.
    My mum said they would give me a different prescription..
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 09:15 AM
    Why are you worried?

Jul 31, 2007, 09:16 AM
    I will ask when I am there but I am just a little worried, so they both do the same thing? They both work as a contraceptive as well as something to help period pains? They just have different reasons on the prescriptions?

I want something that does both, not something that is less affective as a contraceptive.
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 09:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessOfAThousandDays
    I will ask when I am there but I am just a little worried, so they both do the same thing? They both work as a contraceptive aswell as something to help period pains? They just have diffrent reasons on the prescriptions?

I want something that does both, not something that is less affective as a contraceptive.
    They all do the same thing, which is act as a contraceptive. Whatever they give you for your cramps or irregularity, will also protect you from getting pregnant. :)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 31, 2007, 09:19 AM
    The pill does the same thing. You see, some women take it to aid in regulation of periods, others take it for pain, etc, yet some others take the pill for birth control.

There are many reasons for taking the pill, but they all do the same thing.
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 09:21 AM
    Like NauticalStar said they will just give you a low dose hormone pill (which most women go on because it has less side effects like making you feel nuts or gaining weight).

Either way it will protect you from pregnancy but it is not 100% effective you can still get pregnant when your on the pill regardless of whether it is high or low does hormone. You will still have to use another form of birth control. It also will not protect you from STDS or AIDS.

Your mom may have said that it would not prevent pregnancy because she doesn't want you to think you have a free ticket to sex.

Jul 31, 2007, 09:24 AM
    Low dose hormone pill would be just as affective contraception as a I higher dose?
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 09:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessOfAThousandDays
    low dose hormone pill would be just as affective contraception as a I higher dose?
    Yes it just has less, or easier to deal with side effects.
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 09:25 AM
    Yup. But like I said not pill is 100% effective. I've had girlfriends who have gotten pregnant while on the pill.

Jul 31, 2007, 09:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by GlindaofOz
    Yup. But like I said not pill is 100% effective. I've had girlfriends who have gotten pregnant while on the pill.
    I know I just would like to be protected by the pill as well and know how protected.
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 09:33 AM
    I think the pills effectiveness rate is somewhere between 89% - 96% - I'm not totally certain. It will say something in the information packet that comes with your pills.
    GoldieMae Posts: 263, Reputation: 89

Jul 31, 2007, 09:40 AM
    The effective rate of birth control pills is 99.7% effective when taken as prescribed (every day at the same time each day). The realistic effective rate is 89-96% based on actual conditions (occasional missed days, not taken at the same time every day).

The dose of hormone is usually determined by your doctor after getting a medical history and blood work. Some women require a higher dose of hormone to regulate the period, while others a lower dose. However, all are effective at preventing pregnancy.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Aug 1, 2007, 05:31 AM
    low dose hormone pill would be just as affective contraception as a I higher dose?
    Lower dose is not the way it sounds. Its referring to the hormones that cause the ill side effects (headaches, nausea, cramping) that SOME women experience even on BCP (birth control pills) This has no effect on the contraceptive aspect of the pill "birth control" pills are just that, they HELP prevent pregnancy. They are 99% effective when used 100% correctly 100% of the time. If you want to be super safe, use a condom as well. If you want to be 100% sure - don't have sex - that's the only way to completely avoid pregnancy.

I never believed anyone who said they got pregnant on birth control... until I did. (I always take it on time, every day, for 9 years, but it still happened)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Age Difference [ 7 Answers ]

I am 27 years old and my partner is 28 years older than me.We have been dating almost 2 years.I am really in love with him. But he is a control freak. I can't spend my time with my friends.He doesn't let me visit my parents because they live in another city.Nobody can come to my house because...

What is the difference? [ 4 Answers ]

I am changing over from a gas heat system to electric. I have read how efficient the heat pumps are but it gets pretty confusing. I am looking at the goodman 2.5 ton ac unit and seporate airhandler (10kw heat strips) package 13 seer and I am looking at the goodman 2.5 ton heatpump with the same...

Difference [ 1 Answers ]

Please anyone tell me the difference between a Corporation and an Incorporation.

What's the difference? [ 4 Answers ]

;) Hi, Anyone knows the difference between "conversation" And "dialogue"? I appreciate your help.

View more questions Search