supersub007 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2007, 07:49 AM
    Mathematical relation
    Hello Iam trying to find the gain in dBi , given the following relation;
    For a
    I)4.8m Dish the gain is 44dBi
    ii) 2.4m dish it's 38dBi
    iii) 1.2m the gain is 32dBi

What is the gain on a 3.7m and a 4.6 m dish? What mathematical relation can be deployed in this scenario?

Thanks in advance .
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2007, 12:02 AM
    Okay, so you can see that when the dish size double, the dBi increases by 6.

This is a logarithmic relation, since the dBi goes up by a fixed amount when the dish size doubles, the base of the log is 2.

So, we divide each dish size by a constant, in this case 1.2, this makes the altered dish sized 1, 2 and 4.

Now we take of the dish size, which gives us 0, 1 and 2 (see, increasing by a fixed amount now).

Now, we transform this to the increase that we see, which is done by multiplying by 6. And we add a constant, which is our base dBi of 32.

This gives us

where g is the gain and d is the dish size.

You can check this by putting in your known ds and seeing if you get the right gs out.
    Now you can use this to find the answers to the rest of your questions.
    I suggest you try making up your own data, and try to come up with a formula for that, so that you know that you can derive the formula in the way that I have above.

Let me know if any of that didn't make sense.
    supersub007 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2007, 03:43 AM
    Hi Capuchin, please write a book...
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2007, 04:02 AM
    Heh, when I've finished learning. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Relation [ 12 Answers ]

Hi my wife don't listen to me and disobey me

Brother-Sister Relation Broken [ 18 Answers ]

Dear askmehelpdesk.com, I have a serious relationship problem with my sister ever since she knows I molested her 5 years ago. She is 14, & I'm 15 when naïve incident happened, she stop talking & responding to me ever since the incident although we are still living in the same house. It's my...

Mother-daughter relation. [ 6 Answers ]

I have been through a lot in life and having a relationship with my mom means so much to me. I have forgiven her for what has happened to me. Or maybe I haven't... My mom's boyfriend sexually abused me when I was 4. She saw what was going on and didn't do anything and denied the whole thing. I...

View more questions Search