Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rrkeni Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2005, 10:00 AM
    Is debt settlement good?
    Hello,
    I'm new here. Just have some questions about debt settlement. A debt magement company told me it is bad to do debt settlement because it reflects bad on your credit report and you'll end up paying taxes on it. Is this true? I have debt of up to 7,500 all secure debts mostly due to car repo. It has been difficult for us to get a car and we don't have one now.
    Can I use a co-signer for an auto loan? I live in CA .
    Also if settlement is bad, why do people do it
    Thanks
    summersun29 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2005, 01:44 PM
    My brother got burned on settlement
    Be careful with debt settlement. My brother used a debt settlement company a few years ago and he got burned. The problem with many of these companies is that they encourage you to not make payments (thus hurting your credit) and then they will negotiate a stellement to pay a portion of what is really owed. The bad part is that your credit shows a charge off for the portion not paid which can also trigger tax charges since the charge off was seen as free money to you.

I am in a similar boat right now. Upside down on debt. I could not qualify for a car, but the bank sent me to inchargeorg.org for credit counseling advice. I was able to use a co signor for my car, so you have to check with the dealer on how that works since I worked with them to get a used car.

I am talking to a counselor and got some free information from inchargeorg. org. You may want to check that out. I also found a few other sites that may help you determien what is best for you. I still need to figure my situation out so let me know if any of this helps you. The other sites are mybankruptcycounseling.com and savingdimes.com

Good luck and please watch out for debt settlement.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I do Debt Settlement? [ 34 Answers ]

We are $65,000 in debt, (unsecured credit card debt)!! We have looked into LAWGISTIX AND SUPERIOR FINANCIAL GROUP. We are very hesitant to proceed because we have a credit score in the 700 range. We are current in all of our payments, never late, and in good standing. BUT, it is getting difficult...

Debt Settlement-What should I do [ 2 Answers ]

I enrolled in a program with Debt Shield about a year ago. I have since ended the program and settled 2 of the 4 cards on my own. The other 2 are with the same company, Discover Card, and on one account they filed suit. I answered the summons and countersued. It was been almost 2 months since I...

Debt settlement [ 4 Answers ]

Has anyone had any luck with a settlement company for debt? I'm going through the company, Superior debt relief. Of course, I thought I did my research but everything sounds the same when comes to these companies. I checked the BBB in the area that this co. is in and no complaints in 36months and...

Debt settlement [ 6 Answers ]

This is my first and hopefully the only time that I do a debt settlement. It sounds almost to good to have your debt settled by almost 50%. I'm thinking about going through the company, expert financial services to settle. Is this company reputable. And how can a debt settlement have the power so...

Debt settlement [ 1 Answers ]

I signed up for a debt consumber relief group. But the calls are driving me crazy, they don't return my calls and now I'm getting notices in the mail from Lawyers thretening to sue if I don't pay. Has anyone had to deal with this before, I'm scared I'm not sure what to do, I don't have money to...

View more questions Search