Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lawster Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2007, 05:29 AM
    USB Cable Modem - Device Manager
    Hi,

Up until yesterday the internet was working on my PC. I have a Webstar modem connected to the PC through an Ethernet cable. When I tried to connect to the internet yesterday it said that the ethernet was unplugged (which it wasn't). I know its not the modem or the cables as I can still connect to the internet on a different computer.

I then went into Device Manager and the section called USB Cable Modem has a yellow exclamation over it. When you click on properties it says something like "the codec is not installed". This is quite strange as it worked perfectly before and I don't think it is a USB cable modem (its always been connected via the ethernet and I don't even think there is a USB port on the modem).

If anyone has any ideas on why this has suddenly happened without me doing anything, and how I can get my PC back onto the internet that would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jul 31, 2007, 05:52 AM
    Try this:
    Disconnect the modem and power it down for about a minute. Shut down the PC, too.
    Then reconnect the modem and power it up and power up the PC.
    Most modems have a flash sequence and the blinking lights will settle down when it's working properly. Try going back into Devise Manager and look at it again.

If that doesn't help, you may need to call your provider.

Good luck!

Lawster Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2007, 06:17 AM
    Thanks for the response, unfortunately I have already tried this and it doesn't work.

The flash sequence does happen but the PC light on the modem should flash, it stays a solid light which apparently means the PC cannot connect to the modem. I have called the provider (telewest- now Virgin media) and they have said that the problem is with my PC and my settings within Device Manager (which they can't help me with).
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Aug 10, 2007, 07:42 AM
    This may seem simple, but make sure the connection is enabled on the computer. If you're using windows XP, go to the Network Connections option in Control Panel, and check to be sure that it says Enabled.

I used to work for a cable company, this was a common thing for us.

Unfortunately, another common thing was that Webstar modems and the big, older Ambit modem actually did have ethernet ports that went bad. If yuo've got the CD that came with the modem (if they gave you one... ), try putting it in the drive, and conencting the modem with a USB cable instead of ethernet. If you've got a router or switch or hub or anything like that, try connecting the computer to that, just to see if the lights come on. Then you'll know if it's your computer, or the modem.
    theecho Posts: 59, Reputation: 9

Dec 15, 2008, 08:59 AM
    Have you tried a second PC to eliminate the ethernet card on the PC?

If you connect per USB and do not install the drivers, it will have the yellow exclamation point because you have not installed the drivers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

USB Device not recognized [ 2 Answers ]

I have 2 laptops Toshiba : one is a PORTEGE 7200 and the other Tecra 8000. Both worked perfectly with a USB Wireless adapter Linksys WUSB54G on Windows 2000 until last week. After I installed Windows XP professional, both stopped recognizing the USB wireless adapter. I have "USB Device not...

Device manager - Problems [ 4 Answers ]

I have the following PC combination: KOB810DSMT (100 FSB), Intel Celeron 633Mhz, 128MB Ram, 10GB HDD, WIN2K Prof with SP4. I have faced a peculiar problem with this unit In the device manager I find the following 2 problems: - PCI Communication Device - Unknown device. With Yellow Question...

USB Device [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Western Digital external 160 gig Hd drive connected to my PC through a USB2 port. I'm running WinXP Home. For over a year the drive's been working fine. Recently for some unknown reason, the drive no longer appears in Windows under MY COMPUTER nor it is listed in the Windows Explorer so I...

Device manager [ 4 Answers ]

I know now a little about IRQs and DMAs but I'm having problems about what IOs do. Thank you

Device Manager - Modem Not Uninstalling [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 2.8Ghz computer running Windows XP, I have decided to set up a network and so I need to change my Cable modem from its current USB connection to a Ethernet connection in order to set up the network. However, when I go to Device Manager to uninstall the USB modem, it says: "Failed to...

View more questions Search