Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ultimate_user_name Posts: 103, Reputation: 6

Jul 30, 2007, 09:58 PM
    The invincable ANTS !
    Our house is brick, and ants have gotten into the weep holes.. they could be in the brick itself, wich is porus, we can't get rid of them, and they work their way into the house, going to water sources like showers or sinks, we've powdered the weep holes with ant poison, but it hasn't effected them at all.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 31, 2007, 02:35 AM
    You will have to call exterminators and spend a little money to get rid of them.
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 08:32 AM
    You Can get a powder susbstance at Lower/Home Depot, made by Ortho, to put around the foundation of your house that really works great. In the inside of your home use Terro. It is a liquid bait. You will be rid of problem in 2-3 days. Good Luck
    Kstar4u Posts: 255, Reputation: 22

Jul 31, 2007, 06:28 PM
    It would give you an advantage if you knew what species of ant you're dealing with. You might check out this web site... if you can identify the kind of critters you're having trouble with we may be able to provide specific treatment(s) and/or suggestions that will work better than the generic "ant control" methods.

Regardless of which type of pest is causing problems... the basic philosophy is:

1. Seek out the source of the infestation(where they are coming from and the location(s) they are using to enter the structure). Commonly known as "SOS".

2. Limit or eliminate their forage (food) source

3. re-locate or eliminate their harborage (place to call home). It is a natural tendency for ALL creatures (including you and I... in most cases) to conveniently locate our food source as near to our home as possible.

As far as chemical treatment is concerned... when pests live in colonies (socially structured) the most effective control is usually a substance that doesn't kill the individual quickly but allows it/them to carry the stuff back to the colony/nest and thereby expose a far greater number of the group.

Good luck.
    Kstar4u Posts: 255, Reputation: 22

Jul 31, 2007, 06:30 PM
    Whoops... I forgot insert the web site. Here it is:

What's That Bug?
    Expert

Aug 1, 2007, 03:18 AM
    When we moved into an older home built in the 40s I didn't think anything of the large ants seen from time to time until I noticed fruit left out was eaten on the underside only and one watched them walk in formation across my livingroom floor to the closet! Yes, apparently they are very organized little beings.

Then there was the kitchen cupboard problem. I opened my cupboard one morning and saw them crawling up the inside. They are so big I could have had names for them. I didn't hesitate to call an exterminator and they were gone in 24 hours. Sometimes it is just best to take the high road and go for broke; I am so glad I did.

Aug 6, 2007, 10:48 AM
    I think it's a certain species of carpenter ants, but there are also fire ants all over. :-(
    Expert

Aug 6, 2007, 01:19 PM
    When carpenter ants start flying they are looking for another place to live in your woodwork. That is the one the exterminators got rid of for me. If you have pets you can't use traditional ant pesticide. My exterminators put everyone out of the house, including pets, for l2 hours and did their job for $300. And guaranteed for 3 years. I have never seen the critters again.

Aug 6, 2007, 02:35 PM
    Well, sounds like the only option is to bring in the pros...

Question closed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Black Ants [ 13 Answers ]

I have huge black ants that we can't get rid of. We have used 4 bottles of the ortho max spray and sprayed the perimeter of the house but they don't seem fazed by it.

Get rid of My ANTS! [ 7 Answers ]

I have ants in my bathroom and my sink. How do I get rid of them? I've put the poison on the beds, but they still thrive. Help me.:confused:

Ants and sugar [ 2 Answers ]

Do ants like brown sugar or white sugar more? Please help me... I put sugar in to different saucers and I have ants but I don't know which they like more

Help With Ants [ 3 Answers ]

We live in a very sandy area and have lots of leaf cutter ants. (I'm not sure that is the correct name) The ants are red and have long spidery legs. They make trails when they are searching for whatever they are going to cut down. You may have a flower bed with beautiful flowers in it today and by...

Ants [ 7 Answers ]

Does anybody know any good tips for getting rid of ants?

View more questions Search