Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JL77 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2007, 09:03 PM
    Tempstar 5000
    I have changed the coil because it looks like it had a spark or got hot because there was black soot on the power terminals so I replaced it but it still doesn't work. When you turn it on there is a small hum the magnets are not being pulled in, when you push them in humming gets louder from the coil and it makes a few clicks and that's all. The fan can spin if you move it but it won't start. What are the symptoms of the compressor being shot or is there something else. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2007, 09:12 PM
    Did you replace the contactor or just the coil? (the coil is in the contactor) when you push the contacts in does anything run? Is there line voltage to the outdoor unit ? (tripped breaker)
    JL77 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2007, 09:49 PM
    I changed the whole unit when you push in the contacts nothing happens makes a humming sound and makes a few clicks the breaker is not tripped either.
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2007, 10:07 PM
    Turn off the power and check the wiring on the compressor, they have been known to burn off the ends of the wires due to loose or rusty connections, next look at the capacitor (a round or oval canister with two or three terminels on top) is the top ballooned and not flat , this would mean it is bad. Some times it does not show a ballooned top to be bad , you need to check with a capacitor analyzer to be sure.It kind of sounds like this might be a good possibility.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tempstar high efficiency 5000 not cooling [ 2 Answers ]

I have about a 1998 tempstar and the air conditioner just quiet. The furnace still circulates the air but it is not cool. The top discharge fan on the unit is not running it still spins if you spin it by hand. There is a electrical hum coming from some where in side the unit can't pin point where...

Tempstar Furnace [ 2 Answers ]

I have a gas Tempstar furnace , The pilot ignites but the furnace does not it tries a few times then stops. The blower works . What might the problem be?

Tempstar furnace [ 6 Answers ]

I have an 80+ tempstar with the smartvalve gas valve. During the call for heat, the inducer motor starts, but the ignitor will not come on and light. I checked the ignitor and it is good. I checked for voltage and it is good. Could the gas valve be bad, since the ignitor is controlled by the valve...

TempStar Eff. Rating [ 1 Answers ]

We have a TempStar Gas Furnace Model Number NUGK075DG06 (867) (769425). I can't find the information on the furnace efficiency for this model. Any ideas or where I can find the information. Its an older furnace so the tempstar site didn't have it listed anywhere I was able to find it. Thanks

High efficiency 5000 heat pump Tempstar [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to find out if anyone out there would have any idea where I could get a wiring diaghram for a Tempstar Heat pump Called High Efficiency 5000. I believe this is a older model, and there are many out since this one. But the unit is good and I would like to use it. Any suggestions??

View more questions Search