Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Becca74 Posts: 32, Reputation: 2

Jul 30, 2007, 08:28 PM
    Should I go to a public or catholic school?
    My mom and I are trying to figure out what school I should go to! My mom wants a really good education for me ( I want to become a vet someday) But at the catholic school it costs tons of money and I have to wear a uniform!! Which I'm not looking forward to! And money is something that we don't have a lot of... and I'm trying to get my mom to send me to a public school! But for some reason she thinks that puplic schools don't have as well of an education and that there is a lot more "mean" kids there. Please tell me what you think!
    jrb252000 Posts: 410, Reputation: 28
    -

Jul 30, 2007, 08:33 PM
    I feel public schools are okay. You can always try it and if not switch schools. They have loans/grants/scholarships for private schools. Wearing a uniform has its ups and downs. T
    sGt HarDKorE Posts: 656, Reputation: 98

Jul 30, 2007, 08:53 PM
    I went to a private school for 6 years, 2nd grade to 6th. In seventh grade I went to a public school. I actually got challenged a lot more. I wasn't so sheltered. I started to get better grades too, I went from all D+'s to all A's. For me, it saved my life :). Im 15 now going into high school and I can't wait. Just check the school ratings. My mom wants me to go to a all boy school because she hates public schools. (That school is also a catholic school). I told her yeah right and have been fighting a lot. Luckily we can't afford for me and my bro to go, so we are going to a public school, in which I'm taking like 3 ap classes and spanish 3 and such.
    love2surf Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2007, 08:39 AM
    I don't think its up 2 your mom, I think its up to you! If you want 2 go
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 15, 2007, 05:06 PM
    A lot will depend on where you live and what public school district you would be forced to go to. For example the place I used to live in Atlanta, even the school officials told my wife and I that if we could afford it, send out child to private school. The inner cities schools were that bad we were told. Here in "mayberry" USA that I live in today, the schools are great but again low in funds.
    But not all private schools are the best either. Your mom needs to research both.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2007, 05:43 PM
    When your Mom is researching costs, ask her to see if the Catholic schools offer a scholarship. The Catholic schools in this area offer tuition breaks and scholarships to families in need.

I am a product of a Catholic school ecucation - from grade one to twelve and into college. So my bias is with the parochial education. We were pushed more avademically, the emphasis was not on sports, but education. The public schools had the conflict over the importance of sports. Sports won most the time too.

But times change and the information systems have advanced so greatly that there may not be so much difference in education standards between the public and parochial school systems. If you end up going to the Catholic school one of the benefits of wearing a uniform is that no one is going to be dressed cuter or in more expensive clothes than anyone else.
    kt1205 Posts: 125, Reputation: 4
    -

Aug 20, 2007, 11:43 AM
    I went to a cathloic school once. And I hated it. I begged my parents to take me out of that school. Eventually they did. I had more fun in public schools. But if you live in a bad area your parents may want to send you to a catholic school so there isn't as many gangs or whatever. If you live in a pretty good area with low crime and stuff then the public school should be safe. Where I'm from the public schools have a lot of bomb threats. I go to another public school out of town and its a lot safer
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2007, 11:55 AM
    All public schools are different... some meet the minimum requirements some go above and beyond. Is traditional school an option? I went to parochial school from pre-k to 12 grade, and I didn't mind it one bit... I liked the high school (all girl) much better than gradeschool (co-ed), because I had more time to focus on school while at school... but we never had a problem finding guys if that is an issue lol... They offer tuition breaks and payment plans for students with financial difficulties. Wearing a uniform isn't so bad, you don't have to think so much in the morning at least... lol. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Catholic Religion [ 18 Answers ]

Is it madatory to go to confession? If we don't or can't make a good confession will we be condemed?

Home school vs. Public school? [ 53 Answers ]

My husband and I have decided to home school our children because we do not feel that the public education systems are very good these days. When we were in public school the teachers spent more time trying to control and disipline the class or individual students then they spent teaching. I also...

Should public school kids wear uniforms [ 8 Answers ]

:confused: Im writing a report and I need help should children wear uniforms in public schools or should we just leave it alone and if you now when the first public school was started please tell me

Catholic dogma [ 1 Answers ]

Where can I find a text of catholic dogma

Primary school education - catholic [ 1 Answers ]

Does the parent of a child in catholic school in New York State have the absolute right to have the child transferred to another class? And where can I find the rules or statutes pertaining to this?

View more questions Search