Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anastazia8 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2007, 04:30 PM
    Political Culture
    What are the two major political philosphies-librealism and conservatism political culture in the U.S. have nurtured.
    XenoSapien Posts: 627, Reputation: 42

Jul 30, 2007, 04:51 PM
    The United States was fought for and established by liberals. The liberal position was great at the time, because the U.S. was fighting the oppression of freedom, of religion and of taxes too mention a few.

It worked for a long time, but as the nation grew, so did the idea of democracy. As it grew, the liberals 'stuck to their guns' about being free from governing forces. To the point now that they want a big government that will offer all these programs to pay for their freedom, allowing them to work very little and reap almost-free benefits; kind of like having a sexual relationship-- all the benefits and none of the responsibility.

Conservatives fight for smaller government. The idea that if a person wants something, they need to go out on their own two feet and EARN it, not have hand-outs. Not force someone else to give it to them in the form of a 'program' funded by someone else simply because they are in need; or want, for that matter.

Conservative makes a person strong in their resolve to go out there and deserve what they get because they sweat, bleed and work for it. They have equal opportunity just as much as anybody to get the things that they want, but work extra-hard so that they can get it.

All the while keeping the government small, and allowing the government to fund more important things that keep individuals safe from things that they cannot control, like a nuke sent from thousands of miles away.

XenoSapien
    go-ask-mom Posts: 115, Reputation: 18

Aug 1, 2007, 10:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by XenoSapien
    Conservatives fight for smaller government.

Surely you jest! Do you think that Bush is a conservative?

Real discretionary spending increases in fiscal years 2002, 2003, and 2004 are three of the five biggest annual increases in the last 40 years!! Large spending increases have been the principal cause of the government's return to massive budget deficits.

[Discretionary spending -- meaning spending that is subject to annual legislative appropriations, as opposed to spending for entitlement programs such as Social Security and Medicare -- ]

Aug 2, 2007, 03:19 AM
    Bush is not a conservative. I never made that implication.

Besides, this question had nothing to do with Bush, and I answered the question.

XenoSapien
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2007, 04:27 AM
    Besides, this question had nothing to do with Bush, and I answered the question.
    Nah, you made it a personal soapbox to push your political views.

Aug 2, 2007, 04:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Nah, you made it a personal soapbox to push your political views.
    You're one of those people who love to make people argue and start arguments, aren't you needkarma? Seems to me you don't need karma, you need a whole lot of other things...

XenoSapien
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2007, 04:39 AM
    Show me where you explained the values of liberalism.

Aug 2, 2007, 04:42 AM
    The United States was fought for and established by liberals. The liberal position was great at the time, because the U.S. was fighting the oppression of freedom, of religion and of taxes too mention a few.

It worked for a long time, but as the nation grew, so did the idea of democracy. As it grew, the liberals 'stuck to their guns' about being free from governing forces. To the point now that they want a big government that will offer all these programs to pay for their freedom, allowing them to work very little and reap almost-free benefits; kind of like having a sexual relationship-- all the benefits and none of the responsibility.

XenoSapien
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2007, 04:47 AM
    So you're painting a negative view of liberals and a positive view of conservatives. I stand by my previous statement that you are simply advancing your political views and not answering the question objectively. It's important for the OP to know that.

For a more rounded view the OP can read here:
    Republican Party (United States) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    And
    Democratic Party (United States) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Aug 2, 2007, 04:58 AM
    Anyone can edit wikipedia.

I'll tell you what, needkarma. Answer the question yourself. And no matter what you say, I'm going to tell you that you are pushing your political view and not answering the question, OK? This is how fragile your argument is.

The liberals have made themselves this way as I've described. If it happens to be negative, that is their fault. What I have stated is true.

Now we can continue this later, as I have to go and EARN what I want in life.

XenoSapien
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2007, 05:01 AM
    Hehe, I love how you dig yourself deeper. :)

Aug 2, 2007, 08:07 AM
    You are so obnoxious (shakes head).

XenoSapien
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2007, 08:49 AM
    Hello anastazia:

In today's political arena, neither political party represents a choice between true liberal or conservative views. BOTH parties are very liberal. That is, if you consider liberal to mean using government power to force social change.

Both parties consider themselves the arbiter of morals... Democrats think the morals of the nation are paramount. Republicans think YOUR morals are paramount. The difference ends there. They BOTH use the cops to enforce their views.

Although Republicans shout about smaller government, they certainly don't mind using government power to enforce THEIR views - ala the drug war, and the give away to their friends in corporate America.

Democrats are full of it too. They don't mind using government power either, ala the drug war, and their attempt to redistribute the wealth by attacking corporate America.

So, looking at the parties today won't give you a sense of what the terms really mean.

In the beginning, conservatives liked it the way it was. It pretty much stayed that way for our first 100 years. Using government power to force social change wasn't part of the Constitution and nobody thought it was. Then liberals wanted to fine tune things. The liberals won out. Some fine tuning was necessary, of course, but we've fine tuned ourselves into a mess. The liberals are still running the show.

The differences between conservative thinking and liberal thinking was brought home to me the other day. I was discussing the virtues of America with a friend. He looked around and proclaimed, "What a wonderful place we live in and it's all due to our government."

I looked around and proclaimed, "What a wonderful place we live in. And, we did it in spite of our government".

excon

Aug 2, 2007, 11:46 AM
    Bush is not a conservative. I never made that implication.

XenoSapien

Well you stated that CONSERVATIVES fight for SMALLER GOVERNMENT......and since Bush is under the "Republican" ticket and Republicans are the supposed "conservatives" you speak of.... I just wanted to make sure you weren't confused with all things conservative/liberal, since Bush...the Republican Conservative, has GROWN govt'. at a faster rate than any president in 40 years.....Hence the question.

Then you go on to say---
    All the while keeping the government small, and allowing the government to fund more important things that keep individuals safe from things that they cannot control, like a nuke sent from thousands of miles away.
    Uhhmm....that funding of "keeping us safe" does not belong in the same sentence as- all the while keeping govt. small! It just don't work that way.

Aug 2, 2007, 02:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by go-ask-mom

Well you stated that CONSERVATIVES fight for SMALLER GOVERNMENT......and since Bush is under the "Republican" ticket and Republicans are the supposed "conservatives" you speak of.... I just wanted to make sure you weren't confused with all things conservative/liberal, since Bush...the Republican Conservative, has GROWN govt'. at a faster rate than any president in 40 years.....Hence the question.

Then you go on to say---

Uhhmm....that funding of "keeping us safe" does not belong in the same sentence as- all the while keeping govt. small! It just don't work that way.
    There is a difference between conservative and republicans. Bush is not a conservative; for the last time. It appears that you are just looking for a way to link Bush so you can bash him.

Funding to keep us safe and some gov't programs, versus minimal dispersment of funds for safety, as well as a surplus of ridiculous government hand-out programs; conservatism versus liberalism; small gov't versus large.

XenoSapien

Aug 2, 2007, 04:29 PM
    I'm not "trying" to "bash bush"... trust me. (Besides, there's a gazillion 'main focus' political outlets that do that!. or I could just turn on the news! Lol) It's just interesting reading how people think/look at things.

So your trying to tell me that you don't "link" conservatives to the republicans and liberals to the democrats, eh? Something that been done for ohhhh... a couple hundred years! By everybody except you, of course! Lol! :D

Aug 2, 2007, 04:58 PM
    Conservatives and republicans have some similar views, but are two different factions. Democrats and liberals have some similar views, but are two different factions.

What I am saying is that it appeared to me that you were linking Bush to this question which has nothing to do with Bush; but I see now that you have detoured from that and instead are linking republicans to conservatives. You just make Bush an example of your point.

No, I do not link them together because they are different factions; yes, similar, but do have key differences. Bush/Reagan. Who is the conservative and who is the republican? See my point?

If that is what has been done for "a couple hundred years", then no wonder people in general don't understand political factions of the US, and their differences.

XenoSapien

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Political Science [ 1 Answers ]

What does electoral vote mean?

Is political correctness what it used to be? [ 5 Answers ]

Have we outgrown political correctness, or is it still with us? I get confusing readings from the media on this one. I remember that once upon a time, political correctness was being promoted because many people believe that removing hate speech from public dialogues woud keep the hate from...

Political parties [ 3 Answers ]

How do political parties influence the selection of canidates running for election at the state and local level?

Political limericks [ 9 Answers ]

Join in if you can do one better. All for Poo and giggles... This was written by imo at japantoday forum at limericks R us. There once was a president named bush Who flew by the seat of his tush About his vision, when queried He said, I have a great theory

Political correctness [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am curious as to why in this day and age when every word uttered publicly must be politically correct, (e.g. mailperson as opposed to mailman, and firefighter vis-à-vis fireman) first year college students are still called freshmen, as opposed to freshstudents, or freshpeople. Mark

View more questions Search