Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    o0BabiiGrrl0o Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2006, 04:20 PM
    Which prell shampoo do I use?
    Quote Originally Posted by hearyoume
    Today I dyed my hair "dark brown" and it came out too dark. I don't want to strip or bleach my hair, I just want to make the color fade a little faster. I've read about several ways to do this and I wanted to know if anyone knew the best method or if any of these really work. Here are the suggestions I have found:

1. Wash it with Prell shampoo
    2. Wash it with a dandruff shampoo that has tar in it
    3. Wash it with shampoo mixed with baking soda
    4. Wash it with Dawn dish detergent
    5. Wash it with Tide

If anyone can elaborate on these (i.e. tell me how frequently I would have to wash my hair with any of these) or give me other suggestions that would be great. I would especially like to know of any method that is less damaging to my hair.

Thanks.

I just put small black streaks in my hair but I washed my hair right after I dyed it which I wasn't supposed to.. and now I have nothing but black on the top of my head and brown underneath I look goth! I want to fade it a little and I just bought some prell shampoo it says original on it.. is that the right stuff?:confused:
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Jan 24, 2006, 01:24 AM
    BabiiGrrl, remember that black or brown dyes are the hardest to fade. Using Prell or a dandruff shampoo will slightly fade the color. If your shade is too dark, use a few drops of Dawn liquid detergent with the Prell shampoo you've bought. You will need to shampoo your hair several times, the more you shampoo, the faster color will fade. The hair will feel dry afterward, so be sure to use a deep conditioning treatment for 15 to 20 minutes. If the color doesn't fade, I recommend that you go to a salon to have the color corrected.
    mom2702 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2006, 09:08 PM
    Fading Dark Black Colored Hair
    I've read a few of the postings on this site & they've been helpful! I recently colored my hair, using a medium brown color & my hair turned Black! I too have the Goth look! YUCK! I am wanting to try the Dawn Dishwashing liquid process on my hair, but I've got a question. I have a friend who does people's hair in her home & she suggested I add some highlights to my hair. So, she did... they're blond highlights, which don't look very good against my black. My husband and 2 kids, tell me it doesn't look that bad, but I hate it!! Doubt that I'll ever let her do my hair again!! Anyway... my question is, What will the "Dawn" process do to my blond highlights that are mixed in with my black hair? Will the process help fade them as well? Thanks for your help!
    deadeyes-star Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2006, 09:59 PM
    Semi-permanent
    OK here's one for you. A new policy came up at work. Hair must be one solid normal color... mine is purple blue and turquoise. So yeah, I plan on just bleaching the whole thing blonde and toning it to a platinum which hasn't been a problem in the past after making it all colorful but the color in my hair hasn't faded out enough that the bleach will take it all out completely and I only have this week to fix my hair. Its only semi-permanent color but still how can I get it to fade out most of the way really quick? Does prell and all that other stuff work on semi color as well? Please help if anyone has any advice, I don't wish to lose many more days of work over my hair.

Note:dying it darker is not an option. I'm just one of those people that dark hair looks horrid on.
    -

Jan 26, 2006, 12:27 AM
    Mom2607, using Dawn liquid detergent, dandruff shampoos or an intense hot oil treatment with heat will fade the hair "slightly". If you have black hair with blonde highlights and you use Dawn, you will still have blonde highlights, but it will be a little faded. I'm sorry to hear about your hair problem, you should consider letting a hairstylist to fix your hair. Good luck.
    -

Jan 26, 2006, 12:37 AM
    Deadeyes-star, semi permanent colors will gradually fade away. The color lasts up to 4-6 shampoos because it contains no ammonia and does not have a developer. The more frequent you wash the more quick it will fade away. Yes, you can use the Prell on your hair, you can also try the other products that I've mentioned above.
    _Timea_ Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2006, 03:41 AM
    Hi, I've been reading the advice on this board and it all seems really helpful but I'm not sure if it will help me with my particular situation.

I have naturally light brown hair but dyed it black with a semi-permanent colour. That was back in July. I then dyed over it after it was slightly faded with a dark brown. That was in August. I now have stripes of black and copper mixed unattractively with the light hair that is showing through at the roots and the tips. It is a complete disaster.

My friends told me you can have the colour stripped from you hair at a salon. I was wondering if any of you have tried it and if you recommend it. If not, what do you suggest?
    -

Feb 3, 2006, 12:36 AM
    Timea, semi permanent dye can last a long time, depending on your hair type. It doesn't wash out of the hair completely. Also, dark hair colors are hard to fade because the pigments in the dye are strong. I understand that most of you can't afford to have your hair color corrected at the salon. So since I'm in the beauty field, I will do my best to give you answers. There's a product by Loreal name Loreal Color Zap and Color fix by Jheri Redding, it washes away unwanted color and leaves the hair ready for re-coloring. But if it doesn't work on your hair, you may need to have the color stripped professionally. I'm glad you find the advice useful.
    salonregret Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2006, 11:45 AM
    Was looking forward to splurging at the salon to have my hair colored last night, spent $300 to look like a witch! I've been using same stylist for 8 years. I explained thoroughly what I wanted and we even reviewed pictures, samples of medium auburn with light highlights, we agreed on pictures of auburns that were "too dark and some that were "too red" so I felt confident she knew exactly what I wanted, I even said "I trust you", Three hours later I'm walking out of the salon horrified:eek: but didn't want to hurt her feelings. It's so dark of an auburn that it looks black from a distance, I look like I'm wearing a bad wig with pale skin! I went home immediately and shampooed my hair twice! There's NO difference, I'm already turning down offers to socialize and it's been less than 12 hours since I've had my hair colored. I was seriously thinking about floating in the jacuzzi today, thinking combo of the sun and warm chlorine water would fade the color but after reading info on this site, may not be so healthy for the hair, and GREEN would be a worse color than I have now:( Now I'm considering changing my skin color to match my hair. I'll go to the tanning salon for a little tanning bed and spray-on tan combo. If anyone has any better ideas, would love to hear them.

Feb 25, 2006, 11:51 AM
    P.S. Going to a professional stylist go me into this mess, sometimes I think it's better to buy a box of clairol and do it myself, at least it would've cost less for the same result.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Feb 25, 2006, 12:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by salonregret
    Was looking forward to splurging at the salon to have my hair colored last night, spent $300 to look like a witch! I've been using same stylist for 8 years. I explained thoroughly what I wanted and we even reviewed pictures, samples of medium auburn with light highlights, we agreed on pictures of auburns that were "too dark and some that were "too red" so I felt confident she knew exactly what I wanted, I even said "I trust you", Three hours later I'm walking out of the salon horrified:eek: but didn't want to hurt her feelings. It's so dark of an auburn that it looks black from a distance, I look like I'm wearing a bad wig with pale skin! I went home immediately and shampooed my hair twice! There's NO difference, I'm already turning down offers to socialize and it's been less than 12 hours since I've had my hair colored. I was seriously thinking about floating in the jacuzzi today, thinking combo of the sun and warm chlorine water would fade the color but after reading info on this site, may not be so healthy for the hair, and GREEN would be a worse color than I have now:( Now I'm considering changing my skin color to match my hair. I'll go to the tanning salon for a little tanning bed and spray-on tan combo. If anyone has any better ideas, would love to hear them.
    Dear, Pretty will probably tell you the same thing, you SHOULD NOT have left the salon unsatisfied - and I'm sure if anyone can advise you on what to do now, she can. You should have told them that they messed up instead of sparing someone's feelings - and you are suffering for it now. Especially when it's your hard earned money, the I'm sure that they would have given you a certificate to come back or fix it on the spot. They would do the same if the table were turned around and you did something wrong.
    Sorry about your dilema and hope that it does not take too long for you to get your normal life back.

Good luck, and keep us posted.
    -

Feb 27, 2006, 01:42 AM
    Chery is right. Salonregret, you should have said something to the manager of the salon if you weren't satisfied with the color. You didn't get what you paid for, therefore, they have to re-do your hair. Do not put chlorine or the box of Clairol on your hair, it will only make matter worse. Go back to the salon and have them fix your hair.
    angiebabyy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2006, 04:03 PM
    Ok well... I heard that Prell shampoo works well. See... I experiment with my hair often. My hairstylist, Carlos, and me decided I could go a shade and a half brighter in my red because it was fading fast. I was scared to do the whole head so I higlighted it... and because of that, I did no dye my eyebrows. Well its much more red then my natural dark brown and my eyebrows are REALLY annoying me. My boyfriends mom told me its very unhealthy to dye your eyebrows anyway. I do like the color, its gorgeous, but its just not me. I would like it to fade a bit.. I dyed it yesterday morning and today I washed it with dandruff shampoo but I see no diffrence. Tommorw I'm going to make a trip to Walgreens for Prell because it's 3 bucks so it's very eay on the wallet and I really don't see how it's not worth a try. I just want to tone down the color a bit, forget beiong seen in school,I have senior portraits a week from tomorrow!! My problemo is this

If I have a scrub down with prell, will my hair end up orange:eek: ?

Apr 9, 2006, 07:58 PM
    Well, it's been 6 weeks since the disastrous dark hair color, it's finally faded into the warm auburn I'd hoped for when I first had my hair colored , however... Now that it's at just the right color, my gray is coming in at the temples. Time to color again! Has anyone tried the new hair color product that promises to match your roots to your current haircolor? It's supposedly a product to buy you time before you go back to the salon for professional hair coloring.
    cazgirl Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2006, 03:33 PM
    Hi All:

I recently had my hair hilited by someone totally different (for a change). Beautiful base colour, but my blonde hilites are very ashy. I went to my regular hairdresser today and fessed up, she told me she couldn't help me out by adding more or making darker the ones that already existed, but to wash my hair with Sunlight dish soap. Really? So... has anyone tried this? Keep in mind my hilites are blonde (an ashy blonde) my under or base colour is like a light brown (a tad of a caramel tone to it). I hate the ashy tone - makes me look grey, and I feel frumpy. I can't believe she wouldn't fix it for me, though I guess in the long run she is doing me a favour. Guess I'll try the Sunlight, just wondering if anyone has tried it on blondish hair with success. Thanks!
    -

May 15, 2006, 12:37 AM
    You can try the Sunlight dish soap to see if it works. But if it doesn't fade your hair color, then try using Prell or a dandruff shampoo and hot water. These products are known to strip hair dyes slightly. Heat also helps to fade hair dyes from the hair faster than cold water. Good luck.

May 15, 2006, 04:46 PM
    Thanks PrettynPetite1... I couldn't stand looking at myself anymore with the "ashy" hue to my hair so went to a salon in the local mall. After several attempts at adding a 'toner' - something light blonde I think he said, then finally painting on another colour straight from the tube, I have no hilites left and a golden brownish colour. Don't like it... I'm used to being blonde, and I have no hilites left. However, I guess it's better than the green/ashy tone. Hard to get used to though. So... I did use Sunlight Dish soap on it this morning when I washed it - nothing came out. Am really afraid of going green again. I live in Ontario, Canada... we don't have "Prell" shampoo here. Guess I'll just hope it washes out / tones down over time. Any idea how soon I could get some blonde hilites into this?? Thanks SO much.
    -

May 16, 2006, 11:38 PM
    Frequent shampooing will fade hair dyes faster. You can also try using hot oil hair treatments, or you can use a clarifying shampoo to fade your hair color. Washing your hair will dry out, so make sure you use conditioner. When you're ready to add highlights, don't go too light or too dark with the highlights. Highlights should look natural.

May 17, 2006, 02:11 PM
    Thanks PrettynPetite1... I am seeing the colour "fading" gradually, and the hilites are coming back through somewhat - hope the "green" stays behind though. I did call the stylist that fixed me up, he said, like you... anytime I'm ready to come in for hilites though he doesn't want me to go too light. I'm just having a hard time getting used to not having the blonde hilites.

You know, I really would love to find a great stylist who knows what would look good on ME, knows their colours, can recommend / suggest what would look good, and a stylist who gets to the root when using foils. I hate paying $140 for foils only to get home and see a good quarter of an inch of root already!!

I find it hard to express my concern without sounding *****y. My last stylist, who I have gone to for years, and am very comfortable with, and can say stuff like "make sure you hit the root" has lost my business now. She refused to help me when my hilites were ashy/green, so I guess it's time to search out someone new. The guy who fixed me up was okay, not fussy on the colour I have now though, but at least he was willing to try, and was very confident he could do it. If only nature blessed us with exactly what we want!!

Thanks again!!
    -

May 18, 2006, 12:42 AM
    I'm glad to help, Hun. If you're not sure about a hairstylist, do some research. There are lots of salons out there with different stylists and different levels of experience. You can get a consultation. These are usually free as long as the stylist doesn't do anything to your hair. This will allow you to get a feel for the stylist's personality, knowledge and capabilities. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How do I fade my black hair dye? [ 36 Answers ]

The day before yesterday I dyed my hair black. My natural hair color is dark brown and I like my hair really dark, but the black is a bit well... black :( . I want to fade it a bit and make it tone down a little faster. I have heard that washing your hair with Prell shampoo and putting hot...

Need Help Growing Hair Faster [ 18 Answers ]

Does anyone know what I can do to help grow my hair faster? I decided to let someone "MY AUNT" perm my hair and it fell out. My hair use to be down the middle of my back now its to my shoulders. It's really short, I just want my hair back. WHAT SHOULD I DO TO HELP MY HAIR GROW FASTER?

What color would my hair fade into.. [ 7 Answers ]

Ok well... I heard that Prell shampoo works well. See... I experiment with my hair often. My hairstylist, Carlos, and me decided I could go a shade and a half brighter in my red because it was fading fast. I was scared to do the whole head so I higlighted it... and because of that, I did not dye my...

How to Fade Dyed Dark Hair? [ 12 Answers ]

Im naturally a very fair, light brown colour hair and I died it black about 3 months ago but because my hair is so long I used two hair dyes to cover it. Unfortunately it didn't and the ends of my hair stayed the same light colour. Now my roots are coming through so I have light roots and light...

Make hair grow faster [ 5 Answers ]

Hi is there any thing I should eat or pop in to make hair grow faster? I colored my hair and I do not like it but I do not want to color again I just want to grow back my natural hair color

View more questions Search