Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SGIFL Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2007, 04:00 PM
    Artwork Donation
    As Member in a 501 (C) (7) organization --can I donate artwork valued at @$5,000 and use it as a tax deduction.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 31, 2007, 06:33 AM
    501(c)(7) organizations are social clubs, and hence gifts you make to them are typically not qualified for tax deduction. From the IRS web site:

"To be deductible, charitable contributions must be made to qualified organizations. Qualified organizations include, but are not limited to, Federal, state, and local governments and organizations organized and operated only for charitable, religious, educational, scientific, or literary purposes, or for the prevention of cruelty to children or animals. Organizations can tell you if they are qualified and if donations to them are deductible. "

So, check with the club - they should be able to tell you whether gifts can be deducted from your taxes.

If it turns out that this is deductible, you will need a written appraisal from a "reputable source" if the value is > $5K. Sounds like you are right at the edge of the requirement.
    catart Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2007, 05:32 PM
    If you would provide details of the specific work of art including artist name, date created, country of origin, size of image, the original cost basis, and a sample image of the piece I will be happy to provide a professional answer to your question at no cost to your non-profit organization.

Dean Allen Phelps

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Depreciating artwork [ 6 Answers ]

What makes artwork a non-depreciable asset? Is there some threshold value that the IRS recognizes? Isn't most "art" hanging in most businesses more a depreciable item of décor as opposed to a true investment that will hold its value or appreciated in value? If this is the case and we don't...

Charitable donation [ 2 Answers ]

This one may be splitting hairs but I thought I would ask. I know you can't contribute your time and take a charitable deduction. But lets say your time involves producing a tangible product. For example, lets say you are a software developer. You develop an application that you deem worth...

Finding the author of a piece of artwork and the value [ 10 Answers ]

I have a piece of artwork which is also from the Paris Etching Society, It appears to be a beautiful watercolor labeled as"Vielles maisons en Picardie France.. It is #6 and the artist name seems to begin with the letter l and the last name with R. such as luen.. Remsau... or the R may be a B. ...

View more questions Search