Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 23, 2008, 02:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Andmar View Post
    I love to make quilts. Especially my own designs.
    When I want to relax I knit or crochet.
    Hi, Andmar!

Do you have any images of what you've made that you could post on this thread, if you would like to do that?

Thanks!
    Trandy Posts: 123, Reputation: 9

Nov 30, 2008, 12:30 PM
    :D

I got the boss's clock done!!

Click on photo for a direct link to a close-up... :D

I know, I know... my photography could use some assistance. I never claimed to be a photographer... In fact, I'm a machinist. I make steel aluminum and plastic parts for a living... This is only my second attempt at "art". Would metals be my medium?
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2008, 03:52 AM
    Hi, Trandy!

Here's your image, enlarged and enhanced just a bit for all to enjoy! You certainly have an awesome talent there! :)

Name:  Trandy - Clock - Use A.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  269.3 KB

Dec 3, 2008, 11:29 PM
    :o

Thank you for the kind words clough, and for touching up my image.

Shiny is tough to photograph :D

For my next project, I was thinking about painting a piece of plexi glass, and engraving a mirrored image of my drawing. Then I could mount it to a nice piece of wood, and make the clock(or whatever... maybe just a pretty wall hanging) that way. If I really wanted to get creative with that method, I could make a full color image, by cutting all of 1 color, then spraying it. Then the next, etc.. etc.. etc..

Since getting into art with my machining program, I have created this image for a plasma cutter(or routerfor wood) as well.(ever seen those "sillhouettes" in peoples yard? )

I haven't cut it, and don't know if I ever will, but I bet I could sell these.

Also, have you ever seen lithopanes??

To stave off any confusion, that is not my work... just an image I found on the web to show you what I am talking about... the words at the bottom of the image will take you to that guys showcase(website) if you proceed them with www. And then follow them with a dotcom.

Those are really cool. What that is is a piece of plastic carved out 3 dimensionally, thin enough to make it opaque. Then it is backlit, and appears almost black and white. Really detailed work though, and I don't know if my talents would be up to snuff for that... I'll keep you guys posted!

I like this kind of "work" I wish I knew how to turn it into a full time thing. Lots of starving artists out there though... I'd better stick to making parts to put food on the table ehhh.
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2009, 04:20 AM

Hi, Randy!

We haven't been in contact here in awhile, and I was wondering how things went for Christmas with the neat things that you were making.

Thanks!
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2009, 09:03 AM
    Hi Clough, haven't made anything but thought I would stick my head in and tell you I am looking into taking a pottery class at the community college. My mother in law does the same and she make such wonderul objects and even useful things like bowls and pin cushions... I may have to wait till fall again, but I am going to do it!

Trandy, I love the clock, very nice work;)

Jan 2, 2009, 10:30 AM
    Clough,

Thanks for asking.
    The bossman almost cried when he looked in the giftbox and said something like "I can't believe such a fine piece of art has come out of my shop."(the photo hardly represents the quality justly) He went on and on about the hidden talents possessed in our atmosphere, and how we are going to start looking into ways to exploit these talents in a way we can all enjoy.(We have a couple of very talented wood working hobbyists on payroll as well)

We have done some extensive research into different applications of combining artwork into our machine shop. The most impressive piece we have looked into is a laser. They are pretty neat and versatile machines with controlability unfounded. One can either cut right through a piece of 3/4 inch steel, or just burn(or etch) .02 inches into the surface of... say an inkpen. I'm glad I was able to talk the kind folks at work into pitching in for that $100.00 clock. That was the cost for the aluminum($76.00), and the high end clock movement($22.00) used on the clock above. No markups on anything, that is the cost for manufacturing excluding labor.

As business men, we are wise enough to see that you can't go out and invest that kind of money into a piece that you would be lucky to convince one or two people out of thousands to purchase(Not many folks would buy a hundred dollar clock, when they can get one for ten bucks at the local Wally-world),but that with enough thought, we could get the initial costs down(different materials... plastics or wood... etc), then with the proper marketing could possibly transgress into full time art work... from engraving some woman's husbands name into his new barbecue utensils... to a 5' x 10' custom cut scene for a wought iron gate(on the higher end).

This could actually pan out with enough digging, and the proper investments.

So far, I have lots of artsy pictures I have created, but as the initial cost for materials I was working with is so outrageous, have not made anything but the two clocks(+1 that I never got a photo of now four state lines away:( ) I have shown on this board. Eventually, however, we are planning on a website and everything promoting our custom engraving workshop. However, a more proper term... more descriptive for our actual services will be in order. I don't even know what to actually call what we'll offer... perhaps I will start another thread for suggestions... (kinda tough to pin a name to we can make eveything out of anything)
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2009, 04:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by startover22 View Post
    Hi Clough, havent made anything but thought I would stick my head in and tell you I am looking into taking a pottery class at the community college. My mother in law does the same and she make such wonderul objects and even useful things like bowls and pin cushions....I may have to wait till fall again, but I am gonna do it!!

Trandy, I love the clock, very nice work;)
    Thanks, startover22!

Nice to hear from you again! Go for it! You might even find some classes that are available in the springtime or summer even that might be offered by a park board. Such things happen where I'm located.

I want to make a folk harp and a hammered dulcimer. Am going to do them on my own and am really revved right now to take on the projects!
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2009, 04:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Trandy View Post
    Clough,

Thanks for asking.
    The bossman almost cried when he looked in the giftbox and said something like "I can't believe such a fine piece of art has come out of my shop."(the photo hardly represents the quality justly) He went on and on about the hidden talents posessed in our atmosphere, and how we are going to start looking into ways to exploit these talents in a way we can all enjoy.(We have a couple of very talented wood working hobbyists on payroll as well)

We have done some extensive research into different applications of combining artwork into our machine shop. The most impressive piece we have looked into is a laser. They are pretty neat and versatile machines with controlability unfounded. One can either cut right through a piece of 3/4 inch steel, or just burn(or etch) .02 inches into the surface of ....say an inkpen. I'm glad I was able to talk the kind folks at work into pitching in for that $100.00 clock. That was the cost for the aluminum($76.00), and the high end clock movement($22.00) used on the clock above. No markups on anything, that is the cost for manufacturing excluding labor.

As business men, we are wise enough to see that you can't go out and invest that kind of money into a piece that you would be lucky to convince one or two people out of thousands to purchase(Not many folks would buy a hundred dollar clock, when they can get one for ten bucks at the local Wally-world),but that with enough thought, we could get the initial costs down(different materials...plastics or wood...etc), then with the proper marketing could possibly transgress into full time art work...from engraving some womans husbands name into his new barbecue utensils....to a 5' x 10' custom cut scene for a wought iron gate(on the higher end).

This could actually pan out with enough digging, and the proper investments.

So far, I have lots of artsy pictures I have created, but as the initial cost for materials I was working with is so outrageous, have not made anything but the two clocks(+1 that I never got a photo of now four state lines away:( ) I have shown on this board. Eventually, however, we are planning on a website and everything promoting our custom engraving workshop. However, a more proper term...more descriptive for our actual services will be in order. I don't even know what to actually call what we'll offer....perhaps I will start another thread for suggestions....(kinda tough to pin a name to we can make eveything out of anything)
    Hey, Randy!

You've got a good head on your shoulders and brilliant plans to match! I'll check out your other thread sometime soon! I'm sure that you're a real boon to your employer!

Unfortunately, because of the time frame for threads here, it appears that this one concerning crafts isn't appearing in the general posts anymore but only to those of us who've already posted on it and those who happen to go to the Crafts forum topic area of this site.

I'm going to start a new thread about What Are You're Crafts? 2 so that we can have some new life here, especially with new folks that have joined the site.

Take care...

Thanks!
    polly123 Posts: 32, Reputation: 2

Jan 30, 2009, 02:32 PM

Professional seamstress.
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2009, 03:05 AM

Hi, polly123!

Would you like to show any images of things that you've done on this thread? Or, maybe a new thread that will start soon, because this one is now archived?

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2009, 10:26 AM
    Hey polly! I love a good seamstress;)
    Clough, what does that mean, does it mean that only people that have been on this thread before can see that someone has posted? I thought I saw someone write that in the forum discussions... not too sure though.
    AND when is it that your new high speed internet is going to be installed? Heehee;)

Jan 31, 2009, 07:35 PM

Hello, Clough and startover... don't have any images to post at this time... I think sewing is a dying art and with 30+ yrs of experience, mostly for the public, as in owing and operating an alteration and sewing shop, most of my work has gone to clients.. I do my own projects as well but it is more than a hobby and the experience is here if needed.
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2009, 05:53 AM
    Hey polly!! I love a good seamstress;)
    Clough, what does that mean, does it mean that only people that have been on this thread before can see that someone has posted? I thought i saw someone write that in the forum discussions....not too sure though.
    AND when is it that your new high speed internet is gonna be installed? Heehee;)
    Hi, startover22!

Yes, it means that this thread is now old enough that it's now archived and will not be showing up on the "open" (new) pages of this site. Although, since I made it a sticky some time ago, it does show up at the front of the Crafts forum topic area. Someone needs to go to the Crafts forum topic area to be able to notice it, though.

Anyone who has posted on it and has subscribed to it, should get an email notification when someone posts on it. But, for all practical purposes, it is no longer a "live" thread.

I hope that explains how it works to you!

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2009, 03:30 AM
    Hey polly!! I love a good seamstress;)
    Clough, what does that mean, does it mean that only people that have been on this thread before can see that someone has posted? I thought i saw someone write that in the forum discussions....not too sure though.
    AND when is it that your new high speed internet is gonna be installed? Heehee;)
    Hey, Start! I'm now high-speed! A son of an elderly friend of mine gave me a gift of a WI-FI connector. It's working, and I'm one happy camper now because I'm zipping around the Internet very easily! :D

No problem with major downloads of videos, etc. It's just great! :)

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2009, 03:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by polly123 View Post
    Hello, Clough and startover....don't have any images to post at this time...I think sewing is a dying art and with 30+ yrs of experience, mostly for the public,,as in owing and operating an alteration and sewing shop, most of my work has gone to clients..I do my own projects as well but it is more than a hobby and the experience is here if needed.
    Hi, polly123!

I would assume that with your experience, that you have some knowledge of old and newer sewing machines, as well as some knowledge concerning the possible monetary value of them.

Would that be correct?

Thanks!

Feb 3, 2009, 07:59 PM

Yes, Clough, I think I would...
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2009, 08:24 PM
    Clough, I am so happy for you;)

Polly, I love sewing, but with four kids and my sewing room is for the dog as we speak... so I have to take my stuff to a professional like you;)

Feb 3, 2009, 09:12 PM

Oh yes... startover... I have many customers like you... it is time consuming and takes lots of patience... with 4 kids,, you probably run short on both sometimes... smile.. I have 3 teenage grandaughters but I get to send them home.. after I alter the cheer leaders and basketball uniforms, etc.
    unluckynut Posts: 294, Reputation: 23

May 6, 2009, 07:16 PM
    I tole paint, on anything that will sit long enough. Cake decorator,not too much anymore ,painting less clean up. Help people with party ideas. Room mother. Thank god that's over. Did ceramics for a while. Tried a lot here and there, painting is the easiest.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Crafts for candles [ 3 Answers ]

I have a candle business and I am looking for craft ideas to help sell and decorate candles. I have pattern for votive roses but would like to do more. Thank you

Where can find crafts for kids [ 8 Answers ]

I want know where you find crafes for kids

More ideas for candle crafts? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a candle business and we make some pretty cool candle crafts like votive roses and scented animals but I would love some more ideas. Any ideas are appreciated!

View more questions Search