Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amberandfrank Posts: 48, Reputation: 2

Jul 30, 2007, 11:31 AM
    Dog potty training issues
    I've posted on here with very similar issues and they continue. Our 7 month old las shepherd mix will not go potty out side we can walk around for over an hour and she refuses to go then as soon as we are back inside she goes pee and poop on the carpet. We used to have a doggy door that she used well and went outside but we since had to get rid of it due to apartment rules, but we take her to the dog park and she goes on long walks with us. I am also worried because she hasn't been going as much as usual her poop is very small amount. And it used to be a lot more. Her energy is still very high so I don't know what to do
    happylady123 Posts: 209, Reputation: 14

Jul 30, 2007, 06:10 PM
    We trained my puppy by taking her outside and rewarding her with a treat every time she did something. After a month she would bark at the door to let us know she had to go, and she doesn't go in the house anymore. Give her lots of praise after she goes outside, this works. When people yell at dogs for doing their business in the house the dog really has no idea what they are being yelled at for especially if it is a long time afterward. Positive reinforcement is much better then negative.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2007, 06:23 PM
    If an hour doesn't do it, try 2. It may the Shepherd half. They can hold it longer and are pickier about where they go. Maybe try a scrap of carpet or a cheap throw rug outside. Somehow get her to stool outside, and then praise her extravagantly for it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What about potty training? [ 9 Answers ]

My 5 1/2 yr old ADHD and bipolar granddaughter is not potty trained yet. It does not bother her to "sit in it" even to the point of making her bottom bleed. She will go potty if reminded but my mess herself 10 minutes later. We are at our wits ends! Anyone? Please? :confused:

Potty Training [ 3 Answers ]

Why is there a myth that girls are easier to potty train than boys?:)

Potty training [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a year old mini dacshund and he is not potty trained, he refuses to do his poopies outside. We do have him in a crate and he goes for a long period with not accidents in there and we take him right outside and he won't go. We have disciplined him for this much, even put him back in...

Potty training [ 19 Answers ]

My son turned 3 years old in April and will not use the potty! He's not interested and wants nothing to do with it. We have tried all the usual approaches without any luck. Any good ideas?? I've already tried 1- putting a potty that makes a flushing sound and a hurray sound in front of the TV...

Potty training [ 1 Answers ]

I got my miniature dashun in the winter. When I got home the dog did have some accidents on the carpet then we tried bringing her outside and she would do her bussines outside sometimes. Then when it got really cold she stopped and we got the puppy training pads. Until now she knew that she had to...

View more questions Search