Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alwayslost Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2005, 12:55 PM
    How do I finish my drywall w/ mesh tape?
    I bought a bunch of all-purpose,lightweight joint compound and some fiberglass mesh tape to finish my drywalls. Now, I've only been able to find how to use the regular tape with finishing drywall. How the HECK do I finish the drywall w/ mesh tape?

Yes, I'm a complete newbie
    Appreciate any help, thanks
    Paul
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2005, 10:59 AM
    Much less to it. That is part of the reason it is popular for DIY. Just stick it on the joints, folding it into the corners. You then push the compound through the mesh to fill the crack behind it. May want to use a little thinner compound, add water, and go over it a couple of times to make sure all the cavities behind it are full. Those skilled in the art can leave a smooth surface on the last pass leaving little or no sanding. A wet sponge may be better than sand paper.
    Alwayslost Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2005, 12:58 PM
    Thanks a lot! Appreciate the help
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2005, 08:14 PM
    I've never thought of myself as great at finishing drywall... was OK, but not great.

The last time I did it it worked out perfectly because

1) used thin compound and did thinner layers
    2) used sanding sponge

Didn't wet the sponge, but I thought the finish it left was perfect. Basically don't expect to get it all done in a day necessarily if you're new to it. Thin coats, sanding with sponge in between, over two days gave me the best results.

I'm sure those who know what they're doing can give more tips
    eg007 Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2005, 01:05 PM
    I avoid taping and mudding drywall like the plague but from watching people who do it it seems they usually do 3 coats on the seams and use a wider blade each time. And I think I heard someone say not to fool with the first coat too much trying to get it perfect.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drywall [ 6 Answers ]

My home is about 25 years old. Recently I've noticed that the drywall screws seem to be coming out. There's small bumps in the drywall where the screws are. In one room, the opposite is happening. Instead of bumps, I have small depressions around the screws. Is this situation serious and what...

Constructing a mesh from points [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all, This is my problem: I have a set of point (x,y,z). They represents a surface. Now I want to use TriangleList to render them, so the problem is to find out which triple of point forms a Triangle. Is there any algorithm for that or any suggestion about keyword so that I can search them...

Finish Sanding Drywall Installation [ 5 Answers ]

I have a small bathroom and a kitchen alcove I'm getting ready to slop compound on the drywall. Trying to save my arms and back- does anyone have a suggestion for using a small power sander? Type (vibration, belt), any tips, etc... Finish look will be slop and go, so the finish coat will just...

Ill and repulsive mesh on basement floor [ 1 Answers ]

Debra McCarrell New Member Join Date: Aug 2006 Posts: 0 Sewage from the toilet is backing on the basement floor. Problem may be washing powder, toilet paper, and some foreign object. Can you help me? I am disgusted and broke.

Bad Tape Job [ 3 Answers ]

I recently had a chance to by a fixer upper and noticed that the dry wall joints had been badly taped and could be seen through the paint and/or falling off all together. What is the best way to handle this?

View more questions Search