Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bigmistake1921 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2007, 08:44 AM
    Retail theft under $100
    I was recently caught trying to steal a few small items from a walmart store. An undercover police officer working there caught me. The items totaled to about $45. I did not have to go to jail and get bailed out but was issued a citation and have to show up in court. Should I get a lawyer? I'm 21 years old and I have to start applying for jobs and do not want to have a criminal conviction on my record. Any advice?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 30, 2007, 08:47 AM
    Get a lawyer. Walmart has recently announced they will be cracking down on shoplifters so they may take a hard line here. A lawyer can help you navigate the system so you can get out if it this time without a conviction on your record.
    jrb252000 Posts: 410, Reputation: 28
    -

Jul 30, 2007, 08:48 AM
    Is this your first offense? I think it is kind of up to Wal-Mart if they want to press charges and all that. It may depend on state law too. I would get a lawyers advice. However next time you five finger discount remember you are making prices go high for the rest of us.
    -

Jul 30, 2007, 10:31 AM
    LOL that wasn't a lecture if they ran this country right his/her hands would have been chopped off and all is good... save court cost for us tax payers... just making points

Jul 30, 2007, 11:46 AM
    Yes it is my first offense. And spare me the lectures, I know it was a really stupid idea. Is there any way I can not be convicted and get this off my record without a lawyer?
    mountain_man Posts: 269, Reputation: 45

Jul 30, 2007, 12:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmistake1921
    Yes it is my first offense. And spare me the lectures, i know it was a really stupid idea. Is there any way i can not be convicted adn get this off my record without a lawyer?

Yes, we all have the right to be represented in court and if you can't afford to hire an attorney the court has to appoint one to you. Also, that court appointed attorney could work something out with the DA and maybe get a deferred judgement which means if you fulfill XYZ of requirements it could be off your record. This is a petty offense and being a 1st time offense than that is very likely. Good Luck
    -

Jul 30, 2007, 01:30 PM
    Not lectures just valid points... seek the advice of an attroney and go from there...

Jul 30, 2007, 04:21 PM
    Yes it is my first offense. And spare me the lectures, i know it was a really stupid idea. Is there any way i can not be convicted adn get this off my record without a lawyer?
    Maybe, but unlikely. A lawyer, even a legal aid atty will know the ropes. How to plead, alternative measures, etc. You stand a lot better chance of keeping it off your record with an atty.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2007, 06:37 AM
    A lawyer might help you. But you were caught red-handed so some type of criminal conviction is most likely in the cards. What you could try is to negotiate a settlement with Wal-Mart, where you agree to reimburse them the amount of the attempted theft plus extra for overhead costs (I'd suggest double the theft amount, or $90) and agree not to go back into that store, in exchange for them dropping the charges against you. A lawyer could help you with this.

Jul 31, 2007, 08:00 AM
    That is a good idea... is there a way to negotiate that without a lawyer? If I just get some legal advice and want to go about it myself, do I call the walmart or how do I get ahold of someone? (sounds like I might need a lawyer anyways) I am just totally clueless...

Jul 31, 2007, 08:02 AM
    i am just totally clueless...
    Yes you are and that's why you NEED a lawyer. You need someone who knows the ropes in your local courts. We can give you some general advice, but you need someone to stand up with you in front of the judge. Without someone you rights will not be protected.
    Mykirby7 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2007, 10:49 AM
    i was recently caught trying to steal a few small items from a walmart store. an undercover police officer working there caught me. the items totaled to about $45. I did not have to go to jail and get bailed out but was issued a citation and have to show up in court. should i get a lawyer? im 21 years old and i have to start applying for jobs and do not want to have a criminal conviction on my record. any advice?
    I was arrested shoplifting a tube of mascara and instead of being arrested I had to pay 750$ in fines over a $6 tube of mascara. Your screwed walmart is vicious. Chances are your going to be band from walmart. If they catch you shopping there again you can be fined further.
    GET A LAWYER. AND Don't STEAL IT S U OVER!!
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2007, 06:45 AM
    Write a letter directly to Wal-Mart, addressed to loss prevention. Note the citation number on it. Present your offer and point out how accepting it is more efficient from their standpoint, rather than going through court, with all of the time and expense involved on their end. I doubt that Wal-mart wants to cut its profits just to prove a point, which is exactly what would happen if they insist on pressing charges and going to court.
    college4u Posts: 28, Reputation: 2

Aug 4, 2007, 02:03 AM
    i was recently caught trying to steal a few small items from a walmart store. an undercover police officer working there caught me. the items totaled to about $45. I did not have to go to jail and get bailed out but was issued a citation and have to show up in court. should i get a lawyer? im 21 years old and i have to start applying for jobs and do not want to have a criminal conviction on my record. any advice?
    I worked Loss prevention for Wal -Mart and you were only charged with petty theft so you were issued a citiation. It is very serious when you get caught because if you have no money on yourself that could be a factor of intent which is burgulary if you fight its robbery or force or fear. Rember we all make mistakes you can plead not guilty and force the agent to identify his elements which is approachment selection concealment failure to pay if and we have strict guildlines of when and where we can watch you hire a lawyer it is worth your time and future,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Retail theft [ 3 Answers ]

I quit my position at this retail store that I use to work for about one week and half ago. 2 days ago I received a call from the asset protection from the company regarding my recent departure from the company and they want me to call. The next day they called again and said that they are doing...

Retail Theft [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I committed retail theft a few years ago. I admitted to my employer that I had been committing retail theft and I had to pay every cent I took back and write a formal letter of apology. Will this go on my Criminal record? I never got arrested or went to court for this matter? Will...

Retail theft [ 2 Answers ]

I recently got arrested for retail theft but the item was only 20 dollars but this is also my second offence what do you think will happen oh it's a misdemeanor

Retail Theft $700 [ 3 Answers ]

I recently took aroun $700 from a retail store where I was working. I loaded it onto gift cards that I was going to give out. I did have the intention of repaying the money, but was caught before I had a chance (not that it would have made a difference). I know that it was incredibly wrong and...

Retail Theft question [ 4 Answers ]

I am applying to nursing school. This is my second degree. It states on the application that I need to have a clear criminal record. I was arrested at age 18 for retail theft. It was a stupid teenage prank, but I know I was old enough to know better. This was in 1993. My record shows that I...

View more questions Search