Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nicespringgirl Posts: 1,237, Reputation: 187
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2007, 07:51 AM
    What do you think about China and Japan
    Dear everyone,

What do you think about China or Japan on their economy,politics and culture.

Also views on Chinese/Japanese immigrants here in the US...

Or even compare both nationalities on things that you can relate to.

Thank you very much.:)
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2007, 09:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nicespringgirl
    Dear everyone,

also views on Chinese/Japanese immigrants here in the US...

I like, in particular the method of assimilation by the Chinese; for instance they have remained the same culture as far as I know; 94% of the current Chinese population is classified as Han with surnames identical to the ancient surnames.

The same cannot be said for the modern day Greeks or any other country that hosted an ancient civilization. They are not a militaristic culture. Some cultures are more militaristic than others.

However, when the Chinese conquer a territory, that territory becomes Chinese. When the Romans or the Brits conquer a territory, it stays conquered for as long as there is a military garrison nearby.

You can identify militaristic or non-militaristic cultures by their heroes and legends.
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2007, 09:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_crow
    I like, in particular the method of assimilation by the Chinese; for instance they have remained the same culture as far as I know; 94% of the current Chinese population is classified as Han with surnames identical to the ancient surnames.

You can identify militaristic or non-militaristic cultures by their heroes and legends.
    True! But how are americans viewing China's current economy growth?:)
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2007, 10:01 AM
    True! But how are americans viewing China's current economy growth?:)
    I am not sure, and I certainly cannot speak from experience; but I suppose many Americans are salivating in anticipation of high investment return:) s.
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2007, 10:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_crow
    I am not sure, and I certainly cannot speak from experience; but I suppose many Americans are salivating in anticipation of high investment return:) s.
    Thank you, I agree.
    What do you think about Chinese/Japanese immigrants?:rolleyes:
    You can be totally honest here:p
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2007, 10:15 AM
    Thank you, I agree.
    What do you think about Chinese/Japanese immigrants?:rolleyes:
    You can be totally honest here:p

Hell, we need someone to build the railroads, and rice is cheep! :eek:

Sorry, I got carried away… I really don’t pay attention to such things, Chinese, Japanese, Mexican, Polish, German, Wap’s… :D wooooops, got carried away again. I don’t care.
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2007, 10:38 AM
    I don't know much about the culture in these countries and
    I don't know any Chinese/Japanese people on a personal level;
    However on a business/customer level, I find them to be extremely kind, friendly, helpful, and pleasant people.
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2007, 10:40 AM
    Wow, thank you. I find americans are so wonderful to work with!:)
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Jul 30, 2007, 02:23 PM
    in my opinion

I think it is good for the world, as a whole, to have a freer market and more freedom for the citizens of China. They have been relatively benign to Hong Kong ever since the transition , but their stance on Tawain is worrisome.

I admire the Japanese, their team comes first attitude is a nice complement to American individualism.
    Just in cars alone they have forced American manufaturers to make higher quality products, and forced the European luxury brands to compete in value.

I wonder how much bad blood remains between them over WW2.

Good questions

Grace and Peace
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Jul 30, 2007, 07:13 PM
    Dear everyone,

China is economically making progress in the international market following in Japans footsteps. Even Korea has started to turn the corner as well. BTW I flew Korean airlines not long ago going to the Philippines where I have a house in southern Mindanao (Davao). I'm Caucasian/Jewish and my beautiful wife is of Filipino-Chinese ancestry. I was in martial arts for years, although with the tire around my waist you would never know it. I found a respect for Filipino and Chinese cultures. I love eating the Filipino food and Chinese buffets. My wife is a good cook. I love all the fruits with exception of durian, which I guess takes an acquired native Filipino taste. Neither my wife or I care much for the Japanese sushi. I'm leery of China and Japan when it comes to politics and their governments. But as a U.S. citizen I think we benefit to trade with China. Japan, of course, has had it electronic technology embedded in American society for decades. I have found that immigrants from any Asian country are productive for the U.S.. By far the majority are very hard workers.

Bobby:)
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2007, 07:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BABRAM
    China is economically making progress in the international market following in Japans footsteps. Even Korea has started to turn the corner as well. BTW I flew Korean airlines not long ago going to the Philippines where I have a house in southern Mindanao (Davao). I'm Caucasian/Jewish and my beautiful wife is of Filipino-Chinese ancestry. I was in martial arts for years, although with the tire around my waist you would never know it. I found a respect for Filipino and Chinese cultures. I love eating the Filipino food and Chinese buffets. My wife is a good cook. I love all the fruits with exception of durian, which I guess takes an acquired native Filipino taste. Neither my wife or I care much for the Japanese sushi. I'm leery of China and Japan when it comes to politics and their governments. But as a U.S. citizen I think it we benefit to trade with China. Japan, of course, has had it electronic technology embedded in American society for decades. I have found that immigrants from any Asian country are productive for the U.S.. By far the majority are very hard workers.

Bobby:)
    Thank you Bobby, very nice! Beautiful story and beautiful life, deep insight!:)
    I like America a lot too.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 30, 2007, 07:48 PM
    I'm still learning the differences in the Asian cultures, but good people are just good people, no matter the culture.
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Jul 31, 2007, 07:59 AM
    I've recently answered these questions on other strings in this site. But I'll re-post them here.

How do I see the Chinese people? With my eyes.

I'm from the USA, and am the son and grandson of immigrants.

From my perspective, and being in the financial world (I'm a banker/financial analyst) I think that if you have a good product to sell, people are willing to buy it. If your money is good, they are willing to sell product to you. All of this is regardless of race or ethnicity. They may not always be able to understand your culture, but as long as they and you are mutually benefitting each other, who cares? You'e both getting rich. In many ways, the only color that matters is "green" (as in US currency). If your money is good, real businessmen don't care about your race, your politics, your religion, or your accent. If they care about those things, then they aren't real businessmen, and you should drop them like a hot potato as business partners.

On a more personal level, I have rarely seen as hard-working a group of people as the Chinese. They have what was once known as the "Protestant Work Ethic". Chinese people living in the USA tend to be among the hardest-working people, and the most interested in advanced education of all groups I have dealt with. They are, in my opinion, the model of what immigrants to the USA should be. They work hard. They get advanced educations. They become doctors, lawyers, scientists, computer professionals, financial leaders, and productive members of society as quickly as any group of immigrants to the USA ever have. And I include my own Jewish people. In my opinion, the Jewish immigrants and the Chinese immigrants made good on the American Dream more quick than any other people in American history. And I have nothing but the utmost respect for the Chinese-American community for being able to accomplish that. I consider that to be a function of family values, and clearly the Chinese people hold to those old-fashioned values.

So... how do I see Chinese people? With open eyes, looking at history. And I like what I see.
    As for economic issues in China, here's my take.

Barring government sanctions on China, I don't have a problem purchasing products from China. The industry that I lend to is heavily tied to Chinese labor for manufacture. The labor is cheap, the quality tends to be good (better than most European quality), and the manufacturers are reliable for getting finished product out within the established schedule. I have no problems with purchasing Chinese products.

However, I do not believe that I would invest in Chinese companies, for purely business reasons.

The Chinese government has guaranteed literally billions of dollars in bank loans to companies that are showing either minimal profits or losses. Many, if not most of these companies cannot pay the required monthly payments without government assistance on those loans, and the banks are going to eventually want to be paid back. If the companies cannot make the payments, then the government must pay the banks as per their guarantees.

As a result, the Chinese are in the early stages of an S&L-like crisis the type of which we experienced here in the 1980s. If a few companies fail and go bankrupt, the banks will start panicking and will start calling all the loans. The government will have to cover their guarantees, which will likely bankrupt the government of China, and the Chinese government will end up failing on the guarantees, just because there are SO MANY LOANS that they have guaranteed, and they can't possibly cover all of it at once. The banks will fail and go bankrupt because they will have no other recourse for repayment, and will be unable to cover their deposits. The companies will fail because they will declare bankruptcy because they are unable to pay back the banks. And because deposits can't be covered by the banks, there will be a run on the banks, and the public will suffer huge losses as well.

The result will be a recession/depression similar to the one we saw in the 1980s from our S&L crisis, and will be the result of similar causes... loans made based on poor lending requirements and too much reliance on the government to bail them out. The diffrerence is that where the US government was rich enough to be able to eventually mostly cover the banks' real-estate losses and borrow what they needed for the rest, the Chinese economy is not yet strong enough to bail itself out. So it will actually be worse than our S&L crisis was, and will likely last longer.

In my professional opinion (which I admitt is contrary to that of many experts who are bullish on China) investment in China is too big of a risk. The potential rewards are, admittedly, huge. But the risk is too high, in my opinion. The investors who are bullish on China are banking on the fact that they will be able to recognize the signs of an economic failure before it happens. But I don't think they are correct. I think that the vast majority of investors in China are going to miss the early warning signs (or will note them, but think they still have more time and can grab a little more profit before they pull out) and that the failure will happen too quickly for them to react in time to save themselves. I'm very bearish on China right now.

Now... Taiwan on the other hand is a great place to invest. So is Hong Kong. But not mainland China.

Elliot
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Jul 31, 2007, 10:11 PM
    Elliot! Good post and insights. I was going to rate you "agree," but the system would not allow it since I rated you recently.

Bobby
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Aug 1, 2007, 11:00 PM
    wow, thank you. I find americans are so wonderful to work with!:)
    I visited China some years ago and was very impressed by the industrial progress.
    Most Americans aren't really aware of just how powerful China is becoming.
    xhnwsw520 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2010, 11:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Starman View Post
    I visited China some years ago and was very impressed by the industrial progress.
    Most Americans aren't really aware of just how powerful China is becoming.
    I think my country has developed economic too rapidly, as aresult invoke many social problems. Just like too high price of the house, poverty gap and so on. By the way , I live in Shen Zhen of China. Someone who also live in Shen Zhen , maybe we can be friends.

Regards.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2010, 07:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nicespringgirl View Post
    Dear everyone,

You have asked a very difficult question.

China is a nation emerging into the world from a difficult past. They are endeavouring to modernise their society somewhat like the japanese over a hundred years ago. I don't think they yet recognise the danger in becoming the manufacturer to the world, they are just trying to provide employment to their people. At the moment the Chinese are going from red brick to high rise and from minor roads to expressways, from rural village to megacity.

The people of both nations are very productive but I believe they should remain among their own people because the cultures are unique and don't easily mesh with western cultures.

Japan is a nation that has forgotten its past but I don't trust them because they still think themselves better than the rest of us

As to your internal migration policies I cannot say. I know Chinese migration has been successful in Australia, but Japanese do not migrate here
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2010, 03:52 AM

Paraclete,
    This is a very very old thread and I haven't seen nicespringgirl online in a while.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2010, 03:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by firmbeliever View Post
    Paraclete,
    this is a very very old thread and I haven't seen nicespringgirl online in a while.
    Yes I tend not to look at the date but there has been some recent interest in the thread

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Geography on Japan [ 3 Answers ]

Tell me 5 famous landmarks in Japan. Eg: mt.fuji Tokyo tower :confused:

Teen modeling in japan [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter who is 15 wanted me to take her to a small modeling agency in our home town. I finally gave in and took her. They were so excited when we walked in that they took us to miami to 5 top agency's and everyone of them were throwing contracts at us. A large agency from ny even flew in a...

Differences in Japan [ 1 Answers ]

How does Japan differ from its Asian neighbors?

What if Japan struck first? [ 15 Answers ]

What would have happened if Japan had struck with an atomic bomb first? I have difficulty visualizing the USA giving up unconditionally.

Japan [ 1 Answers ]

In Japan's Shoguns Reject the West, both historians agree that the shoguns closed Japan to the west: A - To ensure loyalty and maintain the security of the regime. B - To bolster the economy for Japan's merchants. C - To keep out Christianity. D - Fo Fear of immoral influences.

View more questions Search