Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tchobbs2004 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2007, 03:19 AM
    Verbal agreements
    My son went to college my ex-husband and I agreed that he would buy our son a nice car to drive and my husband now and I would pay for college. Now my ex-husband is making our son pay for the car (in payments) but this was not the agreement. Do I have a leg to stand on or not.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jul 30, 2007, 04:20 AM
    Yes, I believe you do.

But are you going to sue him for breach of agreement? That could cost more than if you just bought the car yourself.

I think the ex is being a chump, but if your son can make the payments, that's his choise.

LadyB Posts: 320, Reputation: 42

Jul 30, 2007, 08:07 AM
    What was the original agreement about paying for college? This is usually included in the original custody/support paperwork and would be in writing... at least all of my friends who have divorced have a clause about tuition in their support orders.

If it says he has to pay, or pay half, or whatever tell him you are going to enforce the original agreement in court unless he buys the car as you verbally agreed.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2007, 05:29 PM
    You do not as you were not a party to the agreement. The agreement is between your son and his father. But, since it was a verbal agreement only, I'm not sure your son has much of a leg to stand on, either. The real question becomes whether a (nice, new) car is a necessity for your son, like housing and tuition would be. I doubt that any court would consider that to be the case. That said, I don't anticipate any judge ordering your ex-husband to buy your son a "nice" car to drive. Small campuses are easily walkable and large campuses have shuttle buses to transport students to and from classes. Class time blocks are scheduled with enough time in between them that any student could travel from one end of the campus to the other.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Judgments, Liens, and Verbal Agreements [ 9 Answers ]

I'm going to try to ask my question(s) without going into too much unnecessary detail, yet giving you the information I think you need. Scenario: Wife (prior to marriage) purchased a house from former in-laws and fiancé moves in. Several years later, after their marriage, they talk the new...

Verbal agreements [ 1 Answers ]

I recently moved to NY and got an apartment with 2 co-workers. They had already signed the lease, but they let me move in without signing anything. After staying there for a week, I realized that the apartment was too far away from work. I brought this up to the roommates, and they told me I should...

No lease agreements [ 4 Answers ]

I lived in a rented apartment without the landlord knowing. can they sue me for rent money for a time period i was there or any of the utility bills?

Non-compete agreements [ 2 Answers ]

I was recently terminated, and a two-year non-compete agreement was signed by myself at the time of employment. I cleaned houses. Now I'm working for another individual. Two of the previous companies customers found out and now want to hire this individual so that I can clean their houses. Can I do...

Rental Agreements [ 2 Answers ]

I am staying in a rented apatments, I want to avial a loan so they asking for address proof tell me how to write a agreement for address proof form the apatment owner

View more questions Search