Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jasmine_rezzag Posts: 191, Reputation: 10

Jul 29, 2007, 11:55 PM
    Is it possible for two people with different religions to live together?
    Is it possible for two people with different relisions to live together, I mean get married?
    And someone keep telling me that muslim guys are very hard to get alone with?Is that true?These questions confused me for a long time!!
    For me, I always believe that once there is love,then there will be life,beautiful life!No matter what religion you have,what culture you live with!But it seems I am wrong,maybe I should say I am too childish!Religion is complicated,culture is comlicated,and life is complicated!! And that makes me a little sad!
    Who could tell me something about religion?And I would like to make it clear that I have no religion,but I respect every religion,cause I believe everything has its own reason to be existed!right?
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2007, 12:11 AM
    It depends on the person, not on their religion
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2007, 12:29 AM
    Right now, I am house sitting for a couple of weeks for a married couple. He is Jewish, she is Christian. In about the ten or so years that I have known them, I have known that they were of different faiths. They have been married for at least 25 years.

Less than a year ago, I asked her how they managed to live with each other being of different faiths. The answer was basically, that their love for each other and understanding for what each other wants makes it possible for them to live, love and grow together.

I am always admirable of the fact that when he comes home from work, she says "Well, there's the love of my life!"

They do attend together, the services at each other's places of worship.

This is just an example of one of the situations where it works for the couple in spite of the fact of them both being of different faiths.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 30, 2007, 09:57 AM
    Of course two people of different religions can enjoy a long and happy marriage together. I believe in such an arrangement it is essential that both parties learn about the others' religions - just as it is important that they learn about each other's families, cultures, etc (your comment about Muslim men to me is more a question about culture than religion). I also believe it vital that they discuss and agree on which religion they will raise their children in, before getting married. I think too often in mixed marriages the parents try to have it both ways - for example, celebrating both Christmas and Chanukah, or Easter and Passover. But this only causes confusion, and in the end the children don't end up with 2 religions; they end up with none.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2007, 10:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    It depends on the person, not on their religion
    This is the correct answer.
    Marily Posts: 457, Reputation: 51

Jul 31, 2007, 09:08 AM
    And in some cases you have to convert to the man or woman's religion
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 09:10 AM
    I don't see why not as long as both people are respectful. My friend is Jewish and her husband is Catholic. The only thing that mattered to her was if he would allow the kids to raised equally Catholic and Jewish.
    Autolykos Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2007, 08:20 PM
    Just a personal response...

I'm a Hellenic polytheist and my wife is an Episcopalian. We get along fine.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 22, 2007, 08:32 PM
    It is hard, but also it can depend on how much their religion mens to them. Lets say a Muslim man and christian women got married, she would see him as unsaved and that he needed to accept Christ to get to heaven, so if she really loved him, she would want him saved, get where this is going? So the more she loved him, they more she would worry about his savation. If her faith was not important, then it may not matter as much.

And it really gets worst even amount christians if they have kids, mention baptism of a infant, and for a Baptist, there is no such thing, but for a Catholic or Anglican, it would be a seroius sin not to. So there are issues there, make it different faiths, and which one will the child be raised in, if one is weak in their faith, again not much issue, but if both are strong beleivers, it can be really tough.

I would advise against mixed marraiges of different religions if at all possible
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Nov 22, 2007, 08:38 PM
    One more vote for the opinion that it depends on the people. Also keep in mind that just because religion doesn't seem important at this point, sometimes it becomes more so with age and changing life circumstances... doesn't mean that it will happen, but just a possibility in the future... the are plenty of so called christians that do awful things to their spouses as well, so it is not a product of the religion, but religion often is used to justify the actions... Not a reflection on any religion, just on the people who choose to use it to justify their own deeds...
    starcrush Posts: 109, Reputation: 2

Nov 22, 2007, 08:44 PM
    If you guys can agree and be on one accord. I think everything will work out fine. I think compromise plays a great role.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Monotheistic Religions [ 23 Answers ]

What can I do to compare and contrast the theological foundations and spiritual practices of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam?

Religions of the World [ 5 Answers ]

Countries of origin Historical figures and events Central beliefs Nature of God Judaism Christianity Islam

We are 2 different Religions! [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, my name is Leesand, I am a sophomore at college. I have known my boyfriend for a while, and we became really good friends when he was a senior in high school, and I a freshmen in college. Well we started dating in October, so its been 7 months. We both love each other but there is one...

And is it true some people can't live without love? [ 6 Answers ]

Well is it? Cause I, for one, am always miserable when I'm single! What about you guys?

Living Religions [ 1 Answers ]

How are newer religions different from older ones? How are they similar?:confused:

View more questions Search