Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    homeowner1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2007, 09:12 PM
    Basement drain smell
    I own an old house (1910) in downtown Indianapolis. I don't think I have a septic system, I think my pipes run to the city sewage. The drain in my unfinished basement (where my A/C condensation drains to) smells horrible! It has a bit of standing water in it but never overflows. Now my first floor is beginning to smell because of the basement, and every shower and sink drain smell as well. Please tell me what I need to do?

Thanks!
    poopyqueenrox Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Jul 30, 2007, 02:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by homeowner1
    I own an old house (1910) in downtown Indianapolis. I don't think I have a septic system, I think my pipes run to the city sewage. The drain in my unfinished basement (where my A/C condensation drains to) smells horrible! It has a bit of standing water in it but never overflows. Now my first floor is beginning to smell because of the basement, and every shower and sink drain smell as well. Please tell me what I need to do?

Thanks!
    Get a person in to fix it. It could be affecting your health
    Ken 297 Posts: 112, Reputation: 24

Jul 30, 2007, 03:42 AM
    Start by flushing a lot of water down the floor drain. Get a pail of water and pour it down the drain as quickly as you can. Do this several times until the water is clear. Then take a cup of bleach and mix it with the water and pour this down the drain.

If that doesn't work.Its possible you have a partial blockage downstream of the floor drain and it is causing sewage to back up into your basement fittings. If flushing the drains doesn't work let me know and I can run through how to check for blockages or other options.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 30, 2007, 05:45 AM
    Try this. Tonight at bed time pour a 1/2 gallon of full strength bleach down the floor drain. Let it set overnight and next morning flush it out with a few pans of boiling water. This should make your drain smell better. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Septic smell in basement [ 1 Answers ]

OK... I want to start by saying I have done my homework over the past several weeks and several times thought I had this problem licked. I consider myself a handyman but this problem has got me stumped. We moved into this house in June 2005. In late October 2005 my wife and I noticed a foul...

Smell in basement [ 2 Answers ]

Every now and then I get a spetic smell in my basement. It is really bad after heavy rains. I have well water and get my septoic system pumped annually. Any ideas on what may be causing this odor and what I can do to correct the problem? It doesn't smell all the time but when it does its pretty...

Installing Basement Shower Drain with Washing Machine Drain [ 5 Answers ]

Hi folks: I would like to install a shower that drains into the same drain as my washing machine. Right now the washing machine drain, 1-1/2" ABS, comes in horizontally about 12" above the concrete floor into a 1-1/2" Tee on a vertical pipe. From this Tee, the vent goes straight up to the...

Basement drain hole.can I drain washing machine with this? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all.. im new here.ive owned my home for about 5 years and I'm still learing... my current dilemna is that I want move my wsher and dryer to the basement.I think I know how to handle the hot and cold water plumbing but I don't know what to do about the drain... now my basement has a drain hole in...

Basement Drain Smell When It Rains [ 3 Answers ]

We bought a house 2 years ago and have been very good about making sure the drains in the basement do not go dry. We add water every couple of weeks and have even added vegetable oil to prevent evaporation. We've also tried flushing bleach through it. Despite this, we get the bad P-trap smell....

View more questions Search