Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    artistall Posts: 88, Reputation: 5

Aug 1, 2005, 06:53 AM
    Transplant
    Three days ago. I had to move a Bloodgood Maple from the front of the house to get it out of the sun. That was not a problem because it was fairly new and still retained the shape from the original container. The Problem is that I had to moved it into a shady spot which had a six foot Pittosporum. I moved the Pit up to the front Out of the Shade and into the sun. Removing the Pit also caused extensive root loss. It seems to be hanging in there but the leaves are still looking wilty. I trimmed back some of the branches and I used some Shultz root stimulator and water it three times a day to keep the roots wet. Is there anything else I should do? Am I doing the right things?
    themouseman Posts: 42, Reputation: 2

Aug 3, 2005, 10:28 PM
    Water once a day if temp 90f or more at 1 1/2 gallons of water or every other day if cooler.
    Over watering will cause roots to rot.

Expect folage die back you have pruned the plants roots it will sacrifice follage as a result.

Rooting hormone is great but don't expect top or folage growth until plant grows a better root system you should see and improvement over the next 90 days.

If your using town or city water let stand in pail for minimum 4 hours to allow chlorine in water to, evaporate. Very dry conditions and chlorine buildup can further damage your root systems.

Rain water is best if available.
    Storing in rain barrels works well by redirecting gutter or eve water from roof into barrels.

To eliminae mosqutio breeding add a few feeder goldfish to barrel they will lunch on eggs and larvae for about 50 cents a fish
    artistall Posts: 88, Reputation: 5

Aug 8, 2005, 02:35 PM
    Thanks!
    I have been watering regularly and noticed the foliage wilting so I cut back the branches and removed all of the foliage! I hope that it makes it! Used some Shultz Root stimulator and put down some fish emulsion! Hope it all works!
    Thanks again!
    dherman1 Posts: 129, Reputation: 10

Aug 11, 2005, 09:40 AM
    Cheap Alternative
    There are a couple of cheap alternatives for your problem which stems from dirt building up in the rocks or the plastic underneath it is ripped.

1) Try raking the rocks to loosen the dirt and weeds and then flush the loose stuff out with a strong stream of water.

2) Take boiling hot water and pour it on the weeds. It will kill them but the water has to be HOT.

Another option is Preen. It is a more expensive solution but less than Roundup or other total vegeation killer.

Good Luck.
    moongrl Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2005, 08:52 AM
    Transplant problems
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the possibility of death for both trees is going to be the likely outcome. Unfortunately you picked a horrible time of year to transplant anything, especially a tree. Because trees are concentrating on sustating the life of the top of the tree it is most important that you wait until the leaves are not on the tree when transplanting. This can be best achieved in the spring or fall. Another fatal mistake was removing all of the foliage from the tree. Plants need foliage to sustain the life of the plant, except during the months when the tree is dormant. The best thing you can do for both plants is keep them well watered, mulch around them to retain moisture, and pray. I realize hindsight is worthless at this time... but for future info I hope this helps... Best of luck
    dherman1 Posts: 129, Reputation: 10

Aug 18, 2005, 05:50 AM
    Ignore my earlier post in this thread
    I know, some of you are reading my earlier reply and are going Hunh? My most humblest of apologies. I posted info into this thread that should have gone in another.

Sorry about that Chief! I missed it by THIS >> << much.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help with Agave transplant [ 6 Answers ]

I'm a new member and this is my first posting. Ineed to relocate an Agave and do not have option to dig it up. Any help out there for me?

View more questions Search