Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kdehoff Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2007, 11:13 AM
    Shower remodel
    We recently moved into a 30+ year old house that has a 3x3.5x5' tiled shower enclosure. I believe that the pan is a mud floor, but it is covered in 1" ceramic tiles, and appears rather amateurish. The problem is that we have found leakage through the shower wall, and damage to the greenboard backing on the side opposite the head. Our plan was to remove the old tile, greenboard, etc. from all four walls (tiled ceiling) and replace with cement backerboard and new ceramic tiling (we have some sort of seafoam green 70's era tiles that look hideous.)

In the process, would it be a reasonable addition to the project to remove the floor tiles and replace with some variety of prefab shower base? If so, what all would that require in this case?

Thanks,
    Kevin

edit: I suppose a better question to ask would be whether it would even be necessary to redo the shower pan if we were to remove the wall tiles and drywall/backerboard.
    stew_1962 Posts: 255, Reputation: 10

Jul 29, 2007, 12:44 PM
    I've heard good stuff about these: Schluter-KERDI-SHOWER-KIT - Schluter-Systems

If I were in your shoes, I'd be seriously considering this as an option.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tub/shower to shower only remodel [ 6 Answers ]

We have a tub/shower setup in our master bath and would like to remove the tub and install a shower only. After removal of the tub, what would be the best way to install a shower base? This tub is on the second floor with access to the drain from the laundry room below. We would like to have the...

Shower valve remodel [ 1 Answers ]

Have seen a kit to remodel a two tub and shower valve to a single handle. Where can I get these

Remodel options needed: Replace bath with shower [ 3 Answers ]

I am looking at removing a standard fiberglass bathtub/shower enclosure and installing a tiled shower. What are my options for the base of the shower? I've seen one or two products online that are cultured marble bases with tile inserts that fit right into the old bathtub rough opening. They...

After a remodel shower drain is leaking [ 3 Answers ]

I remodelled my bathroom and now it appears that the shower drain is leaking. I remodelled the shower with a product called syn-mar. A base with shower walls and used a Danze faucet and drain. My first question is I didn't use plumbers putty, instead I used Sicone when installing the drain, Could...

Shower remodel [ 4 Answers ]

I'm updating a 50 year old bathroom. I intend to put in a 36x36 Florestone shower pan, with the walls done in Corian. A shower was formerly in place built from scratch by a tilesetter on a slab foundation. I've removed all tile, vertical mortar, and the mortar bed, leaving a drain connection...

View more questions Search