Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    String Along With Vince Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2007, 11:10 AM
    "My Computer" command in WinXP VERY SLOW
    I have a computer with lots of memory, fast processor, and large hard drive running Windows XP Pro. It is networked with several other computers.
    It takes at least 30 seconds to respond to the "my computer" command.
    Any suggestions for troubleshooting or fixing? Thanks
    benn11 Posts: 1,036, Reputation: 43
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2007, 04:18 AM
    Do the following maintenance

Defrag your hard drive.

Go to Start->Run... and type or paste "Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks". This will start a built in optimization routine that runs in the System Idle Process and shows up as "rundll32.exe" in task manager. It normally runs automatically every 3 days. It will run for 15 minutes to half an hour, so don't try to do anything too intensive while its running.

Delete anything that you don't need in the Start->Programs->Startup folder, and in the Registry under HKLM->Software->Microsoft->Windows->Run and HKCU->Software->Microsoft->Windows->Run.

Jul 30, 2007, 07:30 AM
    Ben:

Thank you for your answer. In the interim I used msconfig and deleted all items in the startup. The problem went away. Oddly enough, after putting back each item, one at a time and restarting after each item, the problem did not surface again. I have defragged the system, but your suggestion intrigues me. I will use your fix, as belt and suspenders.

The hardest part of fixing this problem is, when searching for and answer, "My Computer" is always read by the search engine as my computer. Windows should change the terminology. It would help.

Thanks again,

Vince
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 30, 2007, 07:35 AM
    Hmmm Now unless you're 100% sure what you are doing in the registry DON'T touch it as you can do more harm than good.

Here's my usual C&P for cases like this:

Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben's maintenance tips
    When was the last time you did some serious maintenance on your system ?

System maintenance includes:
    Defrag
    FULL patching
    Virus scanning
    Spyware scanning
    removal of rubish files

Defrag is an inbuilt function in XP.
    Open My Computer > Right click C: > Tools Tab and its there.

To make sure everything is running fine run both anti virus and anti spyware apps in normal AND safe modes. (make sure that they are updated first ! ;)) (AVG is good and free AV)
    (A couple of good removal tools are Spybot and Adaware)

ALso an on line virus and spyware scanner is Trend Housecall

Just a note: actively running two AV's on one machine can cause problems.
    So if you are thinking about it make sure your current one is disabled first.
    Same thing applies to online scanners as well.

Removal of junk files is easy with CCleaner a free app that does exactly what

If all this fails then a repair install may be in order:

Here's the official Micro$oft way of doing it,
    and Here's one with screen shots.

Basically this installs windows over the top of your current setup.
    So you don't loose any information you already have.
    This lot should resolve your issue.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2007, 07:36 AM
    It's possible that you have some mapped drives that are offline or have been renamed. Opening My Computer makes the system try to connect to those faulty maps until it times out.

Jul 30, 2007, 08:03 AM
    Thanks for all the information. Actually, all that has been done. I have 10 PC's in my care, and am constantly trying to stay on top of maintenance. I will try the cc cleaner app as CurlyBen suggested. I've always been hesitent to try this type of app, as they can sometimes cause more havoc than they fix, but I like it when I get a recommendation for this type of thing.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 30, 2007, 08:05 AM
    I use CC on all my machines (50+) servers (10) included and have NEVER had a problem with it.
    mikezapwnzor Posts: 99, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2007, 10:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben
    i use CC on all my machines (50+) servers (10) included and have NEVER had a problem with it.
    What is CC? Never heard of it before...

EDIT: Never mind :cool:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

WinXP NTFS formatted hard drive is "unallocated" [ 8 Answers ]

Howdy. I recently purchased a 500gb hard drive, hooked it up as the master (cable select on, plugged to end of IDE cable) drive on the secondary IDE channel of the motherboard then initialized and formatted it in WinXP SP2. Once this was done, the drive was recognized as "healthy, working" in...

Liberty basic "drawbmp" command is acting up [ 5 Answers ]

I use xp home edition and have liberty basic v.4.03 The code goes like folowing: Loadbmp "bmpname", "bmppath" Graphicbox #window.graphicbox, 5, 5, 447, 511 Open "window" for dialog_popup as #window Print #window.graphicbox "drawbmp bmpname 0 0" <-- error in this line Wait I have...

"kill" command in liberty basic [ 4 Answers ]

It seems the "kill" cmd in liberty basi doesent work because files are interpreted as read only when trying to "kill" them. I tried making a un-install program with the kill cmd, but it didn't work. What to to?? :confused:

CD Rom & Burner Drives not listed in "My Computer" [ 8 Answers ]

I am hoping you can help me "reset" my drives. A few days ago I could not use my CD Rom drive nor burner as neither would read a CD. I went into the systems folder in the control panel and disconnected both from the device manger. I did this because there was a yellow icon over each drive and...

View more questions Search