Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    free2b1956 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2007, 08:42 AM
    Tenant rights
    I live in Montana and I just found out from the power company that I am paying a portion of the downstairs tenants electric bill. This was not disclosed to me when I rented the apartment. Also my landlord entered my apartment when I was not home and did not give me any notice they were going to do so. What can I do ?
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2007, 09:20 AM
    In regards to the utility bill, a friend of mine was in the same situation. She told the landlord that she would be deducting the extra utility cost from the rent . She did so in writing. She explained the situation as it was and said on average X is the cost of the downstairs utilities and that will be out of my rent every month unless you decide to fix the situation.

I'm not familiar with Montana laws but I'm presuming that landlords must give notice before entering the apartment. Check your lease and make sure there is a notation in there about entering the apartment. I imagine there is if there is a law about it. I would then notify the landlord in writing that it has come to your attention that s/he entered your apartment without permission and without notice and as it states in the law and the lease s/he is not allowed to do so.

I would not threaten anything but keep copies of the letters and send them return receipt so you will have a record that it was sent AND received by the landlord.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tenant Rights [ 1 Answers ]

Can a landlord remove a tenant off a lease at another tenants (on the same lease) request without letting the tenant know and for no cause?

Tenant rights [ 1 Answers ]

Does a landlord have the right, under Florida Law, to evict tenant with a young child for no reason. She has paid her rent on time, and caused no problems. The owner of the apartment is also her ex-employer and fired her for no reason-saying they discontinued the position. She was at her...

Tenant Rights [ 2 Answers ]

Can a Landlord enter your apartment without letting you know? Can they knock and just let theirself in?

Tenant Rights VS Roommate Rights [ 3 Answers ]

I, the master tenant, recently took on a roommate. I paid $1675.00 (79%), and he paid $450.00 (21%) of the total rent. He lived in my apt for 10 days and moved on the 11th. He was a nuissance as he slept all day and tackled chores, i.e. laundry in the early hours 12:40 AM. So, due to our different...

View more questions Search