Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AltaVista Posts: 70, Reputation: 12

Jul 28, 2007, 09:28 PM
    Computer won't boot .
    Ok, I haven’t asked a computer question for a long time - so I thought I’d ask a really good one:
    I have an older PC that suddenly refuses to ‘start’. It’s got an ASUS P2L97 mobo w/Pent. II 300mHz; 2 hard drives; 250 w. power supply; and I’m running Windows 98SE. A very basic PC.
    Here’s the thing - it was working fine, and then suddenly it wouldn’t shut off. Tried several times and finally pulled the plug. Put it on the ‘bench’ and the front panel on/off switch is shot. Disconnected it and by shorting the two wires, I know the ‘logic switch’ section if Fine. Also tested the power supply (under load) and the voltages are right where they should be (and the PS fan is running). I’ve pulled every card, tried to boot and it failed. Re-seated the cards - failed to boot. Checked the monitor - it’s working … although nothing shows on the screen while trying to start. Also, No ‘beeps’ so I’m guessing I’m not even getting to the POST test portion.
    That’s the problem, any thoughts?
    Thanks in advance to all …..
    PS: Yes, the hard drives are spinning; I even pulled the RAM and re-seated them.
    jstrike Posts: 418, Reputation: 44

Aug 13, 2007, 08:05 AM
    Pull the ram out and boot with it out... does it beep?
    If it doesn't then the mobo may just be dead.

It's a P II... it's not like it hasn't lived a long life already. :)
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Aug 13, 2007, 12:45 PM
    Also, try replacing the video card with one that you know is good. If I recall correctly, the first thing the BIOS does when it boots is give control to the video card so it can boot up properly. It may be that if you have a bad video card, it's hanging there, and that's why you don't get any POST errors.
    Megalomaniac Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2007, 03:28 AM
    With a system this old it's more than likely some component (if not all of them) has far exceeded it's MTBF (Mean-time between failure) which is basically the estimated life-span of that component. The fact that there is no POST beep indicates a dead motherboard.

Sadly, it will probably be very difficult for you to find compatible replacement parts for this system and I recommend a new computer. If the specifications of this system were enough for what you were using it for, then a low-cost solution would be the $399 specials that are now available from most Wal-Marts. The systems are not spectacular by today's standards, but they far exceed this particular system. You can even transfer your hard drives to it (assuming they still work) to recover your data and pick up where you left off.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want to re-boot my computer [ 13 Answers ]

I really want to re-boot my computer and start fresh... any suggestions on how to re-boot it because I have no clue... :confused:

Computer won't boot [ 2 Answers ]

I changed my heatsink fan and after I re-essembled it I found that it wouldn't boot. I've tried everything down to putting the old fan back. But nothing works! HELP

Can not boot my computer [ 2 Answers ]

Ntldr don't know what happened but my d drive with my windows xp changed to h Now when boot it says no ntldr Need big help

Computer Won't Boot Up [ 13 Answers ]

Whenever I switch my computer on it begins the startup and at best gets to the Windows XP logo and then the screen just goes black. This is the furthest it gets and most times won't even get there. If I go into BIOS the same thing happens. Any Ideas?

My computer will not boot up [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Everyone, I'm new here and have encountered a problem with my computer I was installing Norton Security 2007. I had installed it all and was finishing off with a full system scan - the computer simply stopped and crashed. I tried everything to switch it off without just pressing the button -...

View more questions Search