Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2007, 03:07 PM
    Religion Relevant in 2007?
    A topic of conversation in religious circles is whether any religion(Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, etc)meet the needs of people living in the TwentyFirst Century. Repetedly polls indicate that in America 86% of folks are Christian. Further along in the questioning, it shows that 41% of the Christians aren't really sure there is a God. That is a large number.

What is is about Christianity(or Judaism, or Buddhism, or Islam)that doesn't meet the needs of modern people, in your opinion?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 28, 2007, 03:10 PM
    Yes it is very relevant, we need to ask why people will not honor and follow it.

And if only one percent beleieved ti would be more relevant than ever.

It started ( Christianity) with 13 people, that was for less than one percent at the time.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Jul 28, 2007, 03:26 PM
    Pride:

Humans don't want to be told what they are doing is wrong [judged], or that they're not perfect [ no matter how many 'good' things they do ], or to humble themselves before and love God.

They make a god [ small g ] to fit them.

Grace and Peace
    Tessy777 Posts: 191, Reputation: 37
    -

Jul 28, 2007, 03:40 PM
    Well, I would say that Christianity isn't a religion it is a relationship with Jesus Christ. There IS a difference. Just because someone says they are a 'Christian" doesn't MAKE them a Christian. I don't believe RELIGION is relevant. I believe a RELATIONSHIP is.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2007, 03:41 PM
    It is not the matter of religions or other sects that do not meet the peoples needs, it is more about people meeting the needs of the law of God. Many people do not even make the time for actually being completely in their faith. The thing is if you spend time with all other things then the relationship you have with your beliefs, God will actually fall to way side. The only way for it to be relevant is for people to actually Make it revelant in their everyday life.

For me personally it has always been relevant. I also think that it will and become even more relevant then ever before in today's world.

Good question Choux.

Joe
    Canada_Sweety Posts: 597, Reputation: 49
    -

Jul 28, 2007, 04:38 PM
    Yes it is relevant. Relevance is something that is of importance and clearly it is important to a rather large portion of people. In these modern days, yes, there are less believers and that is a shame but it's what people do. Human beings do not want to accept religion because there are so many restrictions... people seem to think that because there are rules their lives will be so much less fun and it will be boring.
    Simply put, yes, religion is still relevant because everyone still needs to follow guidelines.
    kindj Posts: 253, Reputation: 105

Jul 29, 2007, 07:57 AM
    Choux,

I think the "problem" lies not with religion, but with the mindset of many people in modern society.

Yes, people need to be focused on the "here and now," the day-to-day struggles that are common to all people. And yes, those temporal needs should be addressed.

However, there are also needs that go deeper than the things and materials of the world. There are deep, intrinsic needs that cannot be satisfied by large bank accounts, expensive cars, and large houses.

Speaking just for me (and some people I know quite well), there is a deep need, a yearning for "oneness" and intimacy with the One who created us and created the world. It's not a fear of judgment that drives us toward this intimacy. Rather, it's the same need that every child has for that loving bond and connection with a mother and/or father. At least, that's as close as I can describe it, though it goes deeper than that. It's that drive for unconditional love, for forgiveness, for closeness. It's the gratitude for the sacrifice made on our behalf. It's the need for assurance that someone bigger than us, bigger than any politician, is in control, even when we don't understand the manner in which that control appears (or doesn't appear) in some cases.

I can't explain the rewards of faith with my words, nor can I adequately explain what drives me toward that faith. I only know that when I wander from it, I FEEL the absence and the distance, and it's not fun.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2007, 09:35 AM
    I can only speak for Islam.

Religion is relevant-
    -just because we have reached 2007 does not mean that the Almighty has ceased to exist.
    -Even if science has come a long way and medication and other facilities are available to cure illnesses, death is still a reality.
    -Even though we humans consider ourselves to be better than animal, we still continue to commit sins/crimes etc and we need to have the punishments meted out to those who deserve it in order to keep the society functional.
    -All humans need guidelines to what is right and wrong and for muslims religion provides the best guidance as its laws are not man made, who better than our Creator will know the nature of humans?
    -Knowledge that the Herefater exists and belief in it makes us humans conduct ourselves better as we know that judgement of our deeds will be after we die (this gives hope to those who are oppressed and we know that the oppressers will be punished for their crimes).
    -Human souls need a belief in a Higher power for peace of their souls as within it is a need for acceptance and love from the Almighty and hope for the mercy of the Almighty in this world and the Hereafter!

Yes some people do not see the need for religion, as they feel that it restricts their avenues to serve their baser needs and some even among muslims tend to leave out or add into what is not really in the religion for their own gains.

:) :)
    Hope12 Posts: 159, Reputation: 25

Jul 30, 2007, 09:11 AM
    Hello Choux,

I believe religions can be a group or organization that claims to represent the Creator. I believe that religion according to the online dictionary is: "2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects.

I however do believe in there is one main religion n belonging to the Creator of the universe. This is the religion of true worship. This religion does not have rituals or prestige where one member is better then the other or of higher rank then another. All are equal in Our Creator's eyes. Some though place their leaders on pedestals and they look down upon the people.

I follow the religion that is relevant and that is the religion that serves the Creator of the universe. Sometimes religions of this world forget the Creator and instead of adhering to what he wants they start to burden the people with man's rules. Our Creator has requirements we must meet but he help us with those requirements and he does so with love, mildness and guidance. He is not demanding but knows we are imperfect and will make many mistakes and so he helps us. All we need to do is ask.

Is religion relevant? No not all religion is relevant. Only the religion of the true Creator of the Universe is relevant. If we find it, we have found gold. Never let it go. If we have not then we need to keep searching. The main quality of the true religion is Love. Christianity is the following of Jesus Christ example. Love is the identifying mark of the true religion that is relevant today. There is only one Creator so there should be only one religion all others are man made and not relevant nor relevant by God. Why? Man has only one Creator and one set of laws to guide man. So is religion relevant. Yes, only if it is the one God approves of and He only approves of the religion that does his will and follows his commands in all things.

I will probably get bashed because of this Choux, but I speak from my own opinion and we are all entitled to that. Great question!

Take care,
    Hope12
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2007, 02:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tessy777
    Well, I would say that Christianity isn't a religion it is a relationship with Jesus Christ. There IS a difference. Just because someone says they are a 'Christian" doesn't MAKE them a Christian. I don't believe RELIGION is relevant. I believe a RELATIONSHIP is.
    Hey Tessy, I was going to give you a fabulous rating but the rating button is mysteriously missing for me... only yours, lol. So here:
    Attached Images

Marily Posts: 457, Reputation: 51

Jul 31, 2007, 08:25 AM
    We are placed here on earth on a free moral agency, that being the case everyone has a choice to do and believe whatever, but at the end we are responsible for our actions
    mountain_man Posts: 269, Reputation: 45

Aug 1, 2007, 01:20 PM
    I believe it is because a large majority of people have a worldly view of living instead of Biblical world view. A Biblical world view forces someone to see things through what the bible teaches, the examples it gives on how to live, and most importantly through the eyes of God himself. Many people want a "buffet" style religion where they can tailor what they believe and do based on what suits their needs. We as Christians are supposed to take up our cross daily and surrender to the supremacy of Jesus and God the Father. The path we are supposed to take is not popular and not convienent so it doesn't fit in most people's lives. That is truly unfortunate!
    Marily Posts: 457, Reputation: 51

Aug 1, 2007, 11:29 PM
    Mountain man I agree with you completely, that was well said !

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Relevant Costing [ 1 Answers ]

What are the concepts of relavant costing and how it might apply to manufacturing company. Illustrate with examples.

Investment & Relevant Costs [ 2 Answers ]

When purchasing new equip versus keeping old, does the amount of investment include the purchase price AND the residual value of the old (trade-in value), or is it only the cost of the new equipment? :confused:

Relevant costing [ 1 Answers ]

SBL produces special containers. They believe that if they outsource them it would be much cheaper. An outsourcing company EPC is prepared to supply new containers (30,000) per annum for £1,150,000 per year. The contract will cover a term of 5 years. Irrespective of whether SBL outsource...

View more questions Search