Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ash123 Posts: 1,793, Reputation: 305
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2007, 01:55 PM
    Divorce financials
    A close friend/neighbor of mine is marrying a guy who is now divorced and has 3 kids.
    I am wondering what his financial obligations are to his ex-wife.

He paid his Ex a lump sum out of the divorce but she is going to "petition"
    for more support once he gets his Trust Fund in 2 years. And thoretically
    she will get more as his income jumps. I ask because I wonder what the legalities are and how much it will affect their future life... Hope all will be sane and solvent.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2007, 09:55 AM
    What exactly was he ordered to pay in the way of child support and alimony? Whatever she petitions for she may or may not get. Also what does the order stipulate regarding any increase in payments commensurate with increases in income? There's a lot of specifics that need to be addressed before you can receive a definitive answer.
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 12:14 PM
    I think it was a negotiated out-of-court with two attoreneys that got her $$ to live on while in school... NO alimony... and a split in expenses for school/birthdays... etc. no child support per se - because she got the savings and the house and he gets a big trust fund in 09 - as far as increase I would only guess that once his income jumps 4x he would be libel for more chils support... as she would petition in 2 years... since kids are only 5 and 8
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2007, 06:41 AM
    Sounds like he got off pretty easy! Obviously her own attorney wasn't very assertive.
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2007, 06:53 AM
    Yes, he will have millions but she has to petition.
    Since he gave her what was in the checking account and equity in their house...
    And he's done (?) 3 kids and no alimony... Hmmm... She says it was because the savings came out to more than child support over the 2 year period of her studies - so she took it... but after 2 years and she then has a new income it would end... but she is hoping to petition for MORE child support since he will have more income. Possible (?)
    maria_222 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2007, 11:52 AM
    Hi,
    I am taking divorce from my husband.he is presently in London and I am suffered a lot by him.he is suffering from disease.he torched me.I don't want to live with him.I don't have any children with him and I am a Indian citizen.I have a valid visa I left London 7 months ago now I want to go back and file a case against him.
    Can I go back London for case?
    Can he can celled my visa ?my visa is spouse and dependent visa.
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2007, 03:34 PM
    Need a lawyer on here it sounds like...
    MsCrabtree Posts: 22, Reputation: 4

Aug 5, 2007, 04:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash123
    A close friend/neighbor of mine is marrying a guy who is now divorced and has 3 kids.
    I am wondering what his financial obligations are to his ex-wife.

He paid his Ex a lump sum out of the divorce but she is going to "petition"
    for more support once he gets his Trust Fund in 2 years. And thoretically
    she wil get more as his income jumps. I ask because I wonder what the legalities are and how much it wil affect their future life...Hope all will be sane and solvent.
    The ex-wife is entitled to petition for more money because his first agreement was based on his income at that time. This is legal. These questions are for the girlfriend to ask. The ages of the children and the Final divorce decree are factors involved. She should not be scared to asked to see his Final divorce decree so she is aware of the financial obligations. If the children are minor and he also had to pay alimony ( and for how long), and has a poor credit score, your friend may experience some tough financial times ahead. She should know his current credit score, see his credit reports and FINAL divorce decree before saying I DO. This is not a bad thing, just something to help them plan better for their future together. Good luck.
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2007, 07:23 AM
    One thing to note.
    He remarried.
    He is not paying alimony now.
    And he is hoping her nursing degree will be her income when she begins at hospital.
    Still, does the law obligate him for child support regardless of the first settlement -
    And would it be an easy petiton - or will he and his second wife stand pat withhis trust
    And just throw her bones - if he can protect his new income...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 5, 2007, 07:30 AM
    Yes he will be obligated to pay child supportr based on his money, income and savings. So if he gets millions, his child support will be extremely high.

But her and his attorney should be telling them all of this. But if he is paying for her to go to school this is a form of alimony,
    But even if she is making more money than him, if she has the kids he will be paying child support, based on the specific rules the court uses. In the US it will be based on income of the parties involved.
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2007, 07:33 AM
    He pays NOTHING as of now.
    SHE PAYS for her schooling now.
    She got the savings and home equity.
    Then she was told to petition after 2 years when he gets his trust.
    Hmmmm

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I am getting a divorce [ 5 Answers ]

I am a 22 year old f. I am getting a divorce from my soon to be ex husband. We are separated right now. I have not even started getting the divorce started because, I am worried after the divorce is settled and everything. If I take him off my car, am I going to loose my car because it is still...

Management and financials! [ 1 Answers ]

Please help me with the answer.. 1- describe the things you should consider when putting togather a budget for an organization or department? 2- how you would control the spending of the budget once it had been agreed? 3-how would you manage 9control the use of ) a non financial resource?...

Maybe divorce? [ 46 Answers ]

Hello! A couple of months ago I discovered that I am not BF of two children who my wife gave birth in our marriage.We are still married.A neighbour of us initiated a law suit against us because he believes that he is BF of the second child who has his eye-color.My wife and I took private DNA tests...

Showing lawsuit on financials [ 1 Answers ]

I am in a solid position to win a major lawsuit. I would like to show this deferred asset on the financial statements, however, I'm stumped as to where to put it on the debit side. The purpose is to strengthen the position of the company on the financial statement.

How do I analyze financials of a UK-based company (traded in US) [ 1 Answers ]

I am doing an analysis for work on a UK-based company and I need to compute the following: 1) Debt to Equity Ratio 2) Asset Turnover Ratio 3) Dividend Payout Ratio 4) Net Profit Margin Can anyone make it easy for me so I know what to plug-in to a formula? Does it matter that the company is...

View more questions Search