Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    toomanyprojects Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2007, 01:41 PM
    Concrete over concrete
    I have a 7X8 concrete slab outside of my back door. It sits in a sort of nook where two sides of it butt up against the concrete basement walls of the house. The problem is that is slopes back towards the house.
    I was thinking of breaking the concrete up and pouring over top and having it slope the other way towards the grass. It would only be about 4" deep at the side of the house an a little less than and inch deeper on the side of the yard. I would remove the concrete near the yard, but I would like to avoid removing it all if I can.
    Is this advisable?
    What would be the best way to proceed?
    Thanks in advance for any responses.
    Kstar4u Posts: 255, Reputation: 22

Jul 28, 2007, 03:37 PM
    You may be able to avoid breaking up the existing slab by cutting slots or grooves into the surface of the existing concrete (thereby providing a porous/scarified base) and "floating" the new material over it to modify the incorrect slope.

If you can't raise the existing slab elevation at the low point(s) by at least 2" (due to your house foundation/weep screed level)... you'll need to cut more depth at that location. Any less than 2" thickness of your overlay will crack/separate.
    Rcfiddlerman Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2007, 08:39 PM
    I personally would not pour over existing concrete the reason being is if the slab is sloped towards the house like you say, something made that happen and usually what it is is water getting underneath your slab making the ground saturate thus making your slab drop and if you put more weight on its going to eventually keep going down. And if you decide to take it out you can replace the elevation with unsaturated gravel , and gravel is cheaper than more concrete down the road, also you might have fixed the moister problem that would have eventually made it down to your basement. Anyhow hope this helps you out and good luck with your project sounds like fun
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2007, 06:36 PM
    If the new concrete will be at least 4" thick, you can bore holes through the existing concrete, and put rebar vertically thru it and sticking up about 2 1/2" above the old slab and this will "lock" the 2 slabs together. Also run rebar horizontally tied onto the vertical rebar at about 1 1/2" high, this will reinforce the slab.
    Rcfiddlerman Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2007, 09:08 PM
    Yes put more weight on your already sinking pad, it the most logical thing to do
    Ken 297 Posts: 112, Reputation: 24

Aug 29, 2007, 12:26 PM
    If the existing concrete is in good shape it can be lifted.
    There is a company that pumps material under and it actually raises the whole pad.
    I will try and find the website and post it later.
    Ken 297 Posts: 112, Reputation: 24

Aug 29, 2007, 12:29 PM
    Here is the link
    Concrete Lifting

I have seen the company trucks around and was going to try it on a concrete slab but haven't got around to it yet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Concrete Over Asphalt? [ 5 Answers ]

My driveway is in need of repair. It is a straightforward enough job, being only 25' X 16'. I was going to have the old, existing asphalt resurfaced with a fresh coat. Simple and at a reasonable cost. However, my wife wants something a bit more elegant and, of course, expensive. I checked out...

Concrete slope [ 1 Answers ]

I am setting tile on an outside patio that is on the second level of the house. The patio is a concrete slab that is completely level. I need to know what kind of concrete to use and how to go about diverting all the water so that it will drain properly

Concrete [ 1 Answers ]

How the big plants do ready-mix concrete? What materials and other things they use? I have seen those big concrete trucks in California.

To concrete or not to concrete [ 8 Answers ]

... that is the question, and here is my situation: I'm getting ready to drop in my Kholer 60" one piece fiberglass shower (no tub) on my basement concrete floor. I've asked two different contractor friends whether or not I should set in concrete. One said definitely, without hesitation. He said...

View more questions Search