GARYGARAME Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2007, 10:52 AM
    Removal or dissolving of the concrete
    Can you pl tell me how to remove a small section of concrete sidewalk

Is there any liquid available to break concrete //
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 28, 2007, 01:46 PM
    I think you have to break it up piece by piece with a jackhammer, or sledgehammer. I don't think there is any easy way.
    Kstar4u Posts: 255, Reputation: 22

Jul 28, 2007, 03:25 PM
    The best way to remove existing concrete is by breaking it up into pieces that can be removed (small pieces... by hand... larger pieces by hydraulic methods [dozer, backhoe, etc.]). When you are attempting to break the concrete... always provide a place for the piece you are trying to break to go. As an example... dig under the slab and then hit the concrete above the hole... remove the concrete from the edge of your demolition to provide a place for the newly cracked/broken pieces to fall.

Good luck. The only liquid that I know of to remove concrete is water... and I don't think you want to wait until it erodes.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Jul 30, 2007, 03:48 PM
    Its only 4" thick , you can easly use a sledge hammer to do this, make sure it's the big one not the little 5lb hamer
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 30, 2007, 04:23 PM
    The liquid that works for me is a case of cold ones. My buds all come over and each swing a 16 lbs sledge. I get about 20" per case.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 30, 2007, 04:25 PM
    The liquid that removes concrete for me is a case of cold ones. My buds come over and each take a swing with a 16 lbs sledge. I get about 20' per case.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2007, 06:47 PM
    If you are going to remove a small section and you want straight edges you could rent a concrete saw and saw a grove about 1 1/2 inches deep and then break it out with a sledge hammer, and the 16 pound sledge is too much hammer, an 8 pound is plenty.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dissolving marriage [ 2 Answers ]

I have been married since 2001 in California. In 2006, my wife and I separated and she left the state. I haven't heard from her since and do not know of her whereabouts. I also found out that a divorce from her previous marriage was not finalized despite both of us were informed it was (we never...

Concrete wall, tile glue removal? [ 0 Answers ]

Hello, I live in a concrete block home built in 1952. The walls are all concrete block with a rough finish on them. I believe it is also concrete, or mortar spread on the walls as a finish. I've chipped some if it away when removing my iron tub last year and it looks like it's spread concrete to...

Concrete [ 1 Answers ]

How the big plants do ready-mix concrete? What materials and other things they use? I have seen those big concrete trucks in California.

To concrete or not to concrete [ 8 Answers ]

... that is the question, and here is my situation: I'm getting ready to drop in my Kholer 60" one piece fiberglass shower (no tub) on my basement concrete floor. I've asked two different contractor friends whether or not I should set in concrete. One said definitely, without hesitation. He said...

View more questions Search