Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cozyk Posts: 802, Reputation: 125

Apr 6, 2008, 06:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by confused25
    I feel that this thread also deserves a sticky.

Confused, I'm confused abot what a sticky is.:confused:
    confused25 Posts: 319, Reputation: 98

Apr 6, 2008, 06:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cozyk
    Confused, I'm confused abot what a sticky is.:confused:
    :) It's where the thread stays at the top of the first page so that everyone can view it.
    Ash123 Posts: 1,793, Reputation: 305
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2008, 07:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by confused25
    I feel that this thread also deserves a sticky.
    Thanks C25.
    I didn't read your thoughts until when forwarded to me. I am not sure why not showing up on my profile page.

Oh well. Bottom line, hope all are healing one sane day at a time.

Cheers.

A
    Ram911 Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2008, 02:46 PM
    Very Sitcky Worthy. Amazing Step by Step instructions. Thank You.
    kaitou Posts: 190, Reputation: 43

May 22, 2008, 10:44 AM
    Well, this wasn't posted yet when I broke up. But it's certainly helpful. And I realize that I've done all of that, thanks to the community hear at askmehelpdesk. (ok maybe I broke NC a few times, during the first few days, but that was it). Silence is indeed golden.

It's been 1 year and 4 months since my break up, my ex and I never initiated contact until 1 day ago, when he wrote me an email asking me how I was doing. He written his email carefully, I can sense that he was scared that I would take it weirdly. He just seems really curious about what I've been up to. So anyway, without thinking I responded happily, telling him that I'm happy that he's well, and also that I'm doing great myself.

The fact that I didn't ponder about "what would he think if i respond" or "what would he think if i don't respond", show me that I was truly over him. I'm really glad that he wrote me a email, because I thought I left a bad impression on him during the break-up, but the fact that he took the time to ask me how I was doing show that at least he cares for me as a friend..

So anyway, after I responded to his email he wrote a LONGASS email back, giving me an update to his life.. so I respond back with a even longer email back. Now, I don't really know if I like how this is going. I don't know if its really a good idea to keep in contact. Anyway, I don't know what I'm saying. So I'll just stop here.
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2008, 11:02 AM
    You got your closure after respecting NC with mutual letters of sane correspondence.

You can only be polite now and keep moving. If there is no chance for more, your mission has been accomplished and you owe nothing more. Clearly it is making you uncomfortable, so step back into your cocoon with a polite goodbye (say you are crazy busy and glad he is doing well) - that oughta cover it. I like a little closure after a long spell - and you got it!
    elisa4u Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2008, 07:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash123
    After a time on this site and some significant personal relationships, I've compiled a short list of essentials for those suffering in the throes of a break-up. I hope this can provide a guide for the pain we all have had to endure (and can even benefit from).

1) Be cool.

If you are the breakee (and most people on this site are) and you realize you are being cut loose...let the white heat and noise in your body and soul stay inside. The breakee is likely anticipating the worst and unless you have caught them cheating, hold your tongue and listen. You see, if you want to get back with this person, the impression you leave at a dramatic moment counts a lot. The breaker will feel guilt and doubt following the break up. They will not be sure if they have done the right thing. Let them stew.

2. Leave them thinking.

As you listen and suffer in the sudden pain of rejection, think of a golden moment in your relationship. Something that you both considered a high point. If your relationship is not totally dysfunctional, that time may have only been one rough patch away. Is it worth mentioning casually? If so, just make it the last thought they have.

3. Give.

It is human nature to go back to what makes us feel good and what we know. If you can give love at this moment - even if just in a touch or a smile - it is powerful. Why are they letting this go??? they wonder.

4. Survival Mode.

Now begins the well-known No Contact period. No texts, no calls, no letters, no emails, no stop-bys....This is for you. And for them. For you it is protection and stops the cycle of waiting and wondering. For them, it shows them that they must live with their choice. And the LESS you do, the MORE power you have.

5. Silence is golden.

If you maintain silence then you put all the pressure on your Ex. No easy let downs. By doing less, you do so much more. And it lets them think about what they lost. Every break in silence before your Ex reaches you lowers your value. The work you did was IN your relationship. Whatever you did will now pay (or not pay) dividends. It is what will fill their head as they go through their day. (Note: If your EX left you for someone else, then you must go silent right away. Skip 1-3. This relationship is likely over and should be unless well, your EX has....well, an incredible explanation.)

6. "How long do I go silent?"

Forever. What this means is that unless your Ex contacts you, you should stay silent.
    Many EX's circle back. And when they do, wait! Wait and think.
    Ask yourself: Do I even WANT to get back with this person? Is it a relationship I want? Was there willingness to part a natural human response to learning about themselves and you, or was it callous and thoughtless? The period of silence before a "circle back" could be 2 days or GULP (2 years). If your Ex re-establishes contact and your relationship had a lot of good communication to begin with - you might find that friendship can be an Ok alternative and downpayment on a later more-serious time for you - as long as it is on your terms and time schedule - maybe even after you have another person in your life.

7. When do I panic?

Never. Every break you do this way makes you a better lover and closer to getting Mr. or Mrs. Right......If you chase or plea or beg you may get him/her back but in the long run it is a fissure that will always be there. Many of the happiest people I know had at least one "test-break" and then got serious. They spoke after a break at some appropriate point and had no agendas, just a realization that humans need to process things and that they were ready. The Breaker does have the responsibility to prove they are more committed - and again, the breakee has less pressure in this dynamic...so enjoy the role of entitlement for a while - but don't be mean.

8. If I re-unite with my Ex, how do I do it?

Don't hold a grudge. If you are going to go "another round" don't sabotage yourself by going back with revenge or bitterness....Instead, communicate. A lot.
    Make it clear what hurt and what you want to work on. If this person has real potential
    they will be excited about finding out what makes you tick and what makes you happy.
    And you should do the same.

9. If I feel like I want to die, how do I survive 1-8?

Time. Time is a powerful thing. Get a calendar. 90 days is your goal.
    Cross the days off...and better yet, write the emotions of the day in the box as you desire...write what you feel about your EX when you wish. You will see the adjectives change over time and you may be surprised to see that over time the intensity changes.
    If you were married or in a relationship for a long time (5 years+)....you may need an entire calendar. Factor about 2 months per year. If you need more than one calendar, or cannot sleep or eat predictably for more than 3 months, I heartily suggest a good therapist. (Note: A General practitioner M.D. can suggest one if a friend cannot).

10. So, what is the goal of all this work?

The right person for you is the one that makes your life better and whom you wish to make their life better. The right person is one that HAS YOUR BACK! If they do not, and/or you do not have theirs, then you are chasing pain, and preparing for your future offspring to live in pain.
    That's pathetic. Look at your friends? Are they loyal and hardworking and care about who you are and what you feel - and are there for you - especially in a crisis? If so, you are emphasizing character and laying a life foundation. And your partner can be all that and MORE!!

Breaks CAN actually heal us for the better, as long as we fight to get the best of them. That's the challenge of life. How do we handle adversity??? If you handle it well, you are a rare person and are guaranteed great things. It's NOT EASY. I hope the 1-10 will make it a little easier. If you have to rush right to #4 it's OK. Just get yourself to as sane a place as you can handle ASAP.

(If any of this ends up being useful for you let me know.....)

You now have the advantage! ;)
    Good advice. However, I need to substitute "ex" for "me". Thanks!
    starlite1 Posts: 753, Reputation: 58

May 28, 2008, 06:58 AM
    Hi Ash123,

Thank you for this! This is really great! I will be using this for sure. Totally amazing!
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2008, 09:15 AM
    Glad to help.

Every pain needs some remedy.

Even if it's just a start - I hope u get better from here on.
    dumbeldore Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2008, 12:53 AM
    [Thanks for the advice which is really useful.

I have begged my ex to have me back, bought her a necklace (white gold and diamonds no less!) and recently flowers. She has accepted the gifts as an apology! But she is giving me the silent treatment even though it sis her who effectively broke the relationship up.

However, I am married and did go back to my wife on one occasion. Its been a rocky few months and I am sure difficult for my girlfriend. However I am now living by myself in a flat (apartment) and am committed to her. She just doesn’t want me any more. She says she now does not love me.

It is hard breaking up with my girlfriend I love her so much and to be honest I have never felt like this before. I am on the verge of suicide. I can’t imagine life without her now. No contact will be very difficult.

Any advice?
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2008, 07:10 AM
    To start, I would seek professional counseling. You sound like you are in a tough spot mentally.

You need a year to get back on your feet... And she does too. Give her space.

I am not sure she is the one for you given all the drama you have endured already.

I think your life plan may involve getting yourself together first and then seeing what partner is the one.
    dumbeldore Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2008, 07:18 AM
    Thank you, but what I really want is her back. No contact will be really difficult, although I have done that today.
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2008, 12:53 PM
    Dude, you were married. And went back to your wife.

Be real. What do you expect the girl to do.

The good news is that life is not so cruel.
    If you live for others and give give give - good things will come back to you... maybe her.
    Or maybe someone else.
    GDArtist Posts: 72, Reputation: 2

Jul 2, 2008, 02:31 PM
    Thank you so so much for the awesome advice... but it's probably tooo late. I haven't talked to him since he broke up with me, and I said Leon, if that's what you want... so be it.
    wallawalla Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2008, 12:59 PM
    GDArtist, I know how you feel because I'm in the same boat except I got dumped twice by the same guy in the last two months. It's not healthy I know. The first time we broke up, I knew I was going to call him after a month because I knew then he was the right person for me. However, he called me after a week of our breakup. The second time he dumped me which was about 2 weeks ago, I retained my dignity and embraced his decision. But I don't feel the same as I did the first time. I simply lost trust in him. I thought to myself, is this the guy you want to be with for the rest of your life when he is not willing to work it out with you. Or simply, he didn't love you enough to make it work.

And I conclude (as hard as it sounds) that he just didn't love me enough.

So, what I am saying you can't force someone to love you back. It goes the same for you. Nobody can force you to love them. It's strange to human, but love is intangible. And I think it is awesome that you have felt it at some point in time because I tell you that it isn't funny when you don't feel love for anybody. There are people out there who has gone through that phase of no love--admittedly I have--which I felt sad.

It is true that it's better to have loved than to never have loved at all.

However, don't give up on love. You should hope that the good will come to you. Let someone go if it is not meant to be. You don't want to cage them if they are unhappy. You don't want anyone to do that to you. So why would you want to do that to anyone?

It's the old cliché... Love is like a butterfly, if you chase it, it will eldue you. But if you just let if fly, it will come to you when you least expect it.. . This has always been true for me... which is so weird.

Anyway, you will just have to go through the cycle of grieve. Treat your ex, like he/she is dead as if you can't contact them anymore. But don't act on it please...

All my best...

Jul 20, 2008, 05:05 AM
    Thank you so much for your response... wallawalla... I appreciate it. What you say makes a ton of sense. I realize I can love with all of my heart, and I pray every day... go to church and get my knees that there is someone like him, Lee, who will appreciate me for the person I am. I know this is crazy and please don't think I am egotistical.. but I realize I am a catch... a beautiful good career oriented woman, who has her act together, and didn't deserve this. But it did.

A lot has happened.. since I wrote last.
    I went to lunch with him on Wednesday, he text me. I have had a terribly hard time getting over him, so since I work a lot with realtors, branding and web site for them, I decided to go to school, and become one as well. I passed that horrible test.

During one of the school days he text me, wanting to go to lunch with me, I already had lunch plans. So I went with him the next day. We meet across the street from school, I thought it strange he wouldn't pic me up. But anyway we had a great lunch - couldn't eat!
    D of by phone, and it worked. The supervisor had me called him, after them needing to know the circumstances and got on the phone with him, and had him pay the balance for first class tickets... business section was sold out. It was a lot of money... but him paying said a ton.

I wrote him this last night thanking him...

That meant a ton to me. It says you still care.
    Joan will take care of me. She said she would.
    She will help me get back to Julie. Try anyway.
    Joan and Kyle love me so much.

The tickets you purchased were first class, round trip. We will all ride in first class.
    All other tickets were sold out.

They screwed up the trip home, and you wouldn't answer the phone,
    So they had me call you from their phone. They asked me what
    These circumstances were, because I didn't want to have to call you
    Back and I was crying... They gave me the first class tickets home for free.
    It would have been an additional $529.00.

I don't know what else to say... other then...

I can't see you anymore. I love you so and when I see you...
    I want to be with you the way we use to be, and I start crying... and I get so sad
    For days... and I can't work, and am so weak... and until I can be with you the way my body and mind needs to be...
    To calm both our hearts... I can't see you. Funny, I miss eating ice cream with you at night, it just reminded me of being with you at night... besides you lying next to me.

I need you 100% back... not just on your terms.. and I don't even know what those are half the time.
    I know you love me. I know it. Find a way back you, please before it's to late.

I went out with his best friend's wife last week, and she couldn't believe all the guys that
    Were asking me out... she is mad at Leon for what he has done. The he needs to come back crawling. I don't know what is going to happen... but I still love him dearly.. my heart says to totally leave him alone though.

God Bless you for listening to my stuff, I realize now there are millions out there like me that have gone through similar situations as myself. Just wish people would be who they say they are, so the ones who are honest, good and have their act together don't have to suffer...

Jul 20, 2008, 05:09 AM
    Thank you again... you are awesome!
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2008, 09:30 AM
    One day at a time. Stay focused on yourself and it will get better.
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Jul 20, 2008, 09:45 AM
    Ash, I guess I am just so fortunate that I found the woman of my dreams about 10 years ago and we married 5 years ago and every day is a blessing. But what I really want to address here is what a blessing you have been to so many on this thread. Please let me say for all of us Thank You dear, and God bless...
    Stringer

Jul 20, 2008, 10:12 AM
    You are awesome Ash123 - I am focusing on me! You are so right. It's hard though... The more I let go, the more opportunities pop up... the more I feel better, when I stay away from him.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can a marriage survive domestic violence? [ 24 Answers ]

I am currently separated from my spouse of three years. We had several fights last year which escalated into physical fights. I called the police after the last incident. He was arrested and I moved out. He has been going to counseling, and we still speak frequently. He has been working on his...

How do I survive heartbreak? [ 6 Answers ]

11 months ago I ran into a childhood friend of mine and we started dating shortly after. The summer went by and I left to go back to school in the midwest. I lived on the west coast at the time, but we decided to stay together. When he came to visit me I found out he had previously cheated on me...

How Do I Survive Ridiculous un-Relationship with a wild woman? [ 7 Answers ]

It's a doozy... strap in... I met this girl at work about a year and a half ago. She was an intern so our time was limited. Without going into too much detail, we seemed to really hit it off. She really helps me find myself. I would use the word soulmate if I believed in such things. However...

How old do my kittens have to be to survive without the mother [ 4 Answers ]

Hello my cat had 6 kittens about 6 weeks ago I'm just wondering when can I let them go to another home.thanks in advance for the advice.

Can my marriage survive despite my feelings? [ 1 Answers ]

I got married less than a year ago. The man I married, I had been dating for a couple of years and had a child. I married him believing I was totally in love. After the honeymoon, I started realizing that I had not completely gotten over my high school sweetheart whom I dated for over 6 years. Now,...

View more questions Search