Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dsybahena Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2007, 04:04 PM
    Juvenile records
    I was arrested when I was 15 for shoplifting they took my picture and my fingerprints. I was told to do community service which I never did. Now when I go to apply for a job they never call me. I think is because of that. People say it erases when you are 18 others say it doesn't. How long does it stay in my record?:(
    XenoSapien Posts: 627, Reputation: 42

Jul 27, 2007, 04:06 PM
    See if you can do your community service. Then, see if you can get your record expunged.

XenoSapien
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 27, 2007, 04:09 PM
    How old are you now?

If you never did your community service, and if you did not get your criminal issue cleared, it may still be showing open, which could be showing up. Had you did the community service and it was cleared then you would have it sealed at 18.

Jul 27, 2007, 04:12 PM
    I am going to be 18 tomorrow

Jul 27, 2007, 04:15 PM
    Do the community service asap.

XenoSapien

Jul 27, 2007, 04:16 PM
    But that was like 3 years ago would they still let me I live in IL by the way

Jul 27, 2007, 04:19 PM
    Just tell them that you really want to do the right thing, and you want to come clean, and do as the court had ordered. If you're cool about it and nice, I can't imagine they will turn you down. If you're exceptionally sincere, they may just drop it.

XenoSapien

Jul 27, 2007, 04:20 PM
    I never had a court

Jul 27, 2007, 04:23 PM
    Then who ordered community service?

XenoSapien

Jul 27, 2007, 04:49 PM
    The officer that was doing my case

Jul 27, 2007, 04:53 PM
    An officer can't make you do community service; it has to come from a court. Do you have documentation that has the officer's name on it?

XenoSapien

Jul 27, 2007, 04:54 PM
    I don't even think they gave me any and if they did I don't. He was making me call him everyday by 7 o'clok or something like that. After that he said to do community service but like I said I never did.

Jul 27, 2007, 05:00 PM
    Take his name, and call the (non-emergency line) police department. Tell them of your crime, tell them of what he told you to do, and tell them that if you have to do community service, you will do it. Tell them you are looking to have your record expunged, and that you want to do the service he told you to do so that you can do this. Let them also know that this crime could be preventing you from getting a job.

XenoSapien

Jul 27, 2007, 05:03 PM
    Should I call the police department where I got arrested or where I live now. Oh and by the way thanks

Jul 27, 2007, 05:13 PM
    You're welcome :).

I would call the police where you were arrested, as that is where this officer is. If that gets you nowhere, then the police where you are.

If you do this with sincerity and show that you are doing right, I'd think they will just drop it; make SURE you approach with being compliant, and that you want to do right here.

This officer sounds fishy--as in, this could get him in trouble as it should be. He doesn't have judicial authority, and my mind is 'racing' as to possible motives he may have (a man, right?).

XenoSapien

Jul 27, 2007, 05:15 PM
    Yes, Ok I Will I Really Hope This Clears Out Because I Was Stupid Back Then And Now That Is Affecting Me A Lot. But There Is A Problem I Don't Know The Officers Name
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2007, 05:16 PM
    We're you just arrested or charged? I'm confused. Because if you had been charged I would imagine you would have been in front of a judge. The officer may have just recommended community service. I would find out the details also since you are not yet 18 the record would not yet be sealed so any employer you have gone to so far would be able to see the arrest.

Jul 30, 2007, 06:57 AM
    I was arrested they took my fingerprints and my picture I did not have a court order he just told me I had to do community service
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2007, 07:24 AM
    Well then you were just arrested and not convicted of any crime. The only thing that would affect your record in that sense is if a judge had ordered community service and since it wasn't I think it was just a recommendation by the police officer. I would call the police station where you were arrested and ask them about it. Maybe laws are different there then what I'm familiar with.

You know that ignoring it won't help, if you thought that you wouldn't be on here :) So just call them say I got arrested at 15 I wasn't charged with anything just curious about the situation and see what they have to say.

Aug 2, 2007, 11:53 AM
    Oh thank you so much to all of you so I called this officer that is assigned to my high school were I went I told him my situation. He said he would see my record and then give me some advice to see if I can do something. I got called for three jobs in where they do background check I guess it was a waste of time in my interviews.:(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can juvenile records be used against you as an adult? [ 12 Answers ]

Hey I'm curious to know if you have a juvenile record but are now an adult and have no adult record. Can your juvenile record be brought up in court as evidence? Or is everything in your juvenile record irrelevant and will be thrown out if you are an adult? Thanks, -pegs-

Juvenile sex offender [ 1 Answers ]

Live in Alabama / My stepson sexually abused my daughter he is now 19. (he was 16 last time it happened and she was 7) anyway, went to court he was on house arrest and had to attend counseling. My question is, due to other unfortunate events my husband gave up his rights and my stepson was adopted...

Juvenile records used in adult misdemeanor cases [ 1 Answers ]

Can Juvenile records be used against an adult in a minor misdemeanor case? More specifically, if an adult has not had a citation in nearly 3 years, can the prosecuting entity use his/her juvenile records as basis for sentencing or plea recommendation, or could this be considered prejudicial?

Juvenile records [ 5 Answers ]

Can juvenile records be seen on a company's background check.

View more questions Search