Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    imxinxonxit Posts: 60, Reputation: 3

Jul 27, 2007, 02:55 PM
    Mentally ill son
    My son of 19 years has been given a diagnoses of schizophenia.He is currently in a mental health unit for 3 weeks. They want him to go to a county hospital . Will his rights be taken away. If something happens to him am I able to make any decisions on his behalf? I'm scared something could happen to him.Someone told me that he could be an award of the state and they can do whatever they want with him. Our health insurance only covered him for 10 days.Now he is on charity care.I did hire a Lawyer to help with social security and medicaid. His 2 case workers feel that this hopital will be good for him, but he has heard from people that have been there and don't want to go back.If he doesn't like it there does he have a right to leave? Should I have a representative for my son and I? They are giving him prozac, xyprexa ,chlozapan and bachlofen. He isn't showing any improvement .
    Concerned mom
    jrb252000 Posts: 410, Reputation: 28
    -

Jul 27, 2007, 04:13 PM
    I would suggest go to your lawyer and get a power of attorney for him so if he is found mentally incapable of making a decision you will be able to. Good luck to you and your son.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 27, 2007, 06:14 PM
    You should most definitley get a POA (power of attorney), you then will be able to make decisions on his behalf. He has only been in the hospital and on meds for a couple of weeks. You need to understand that with a diagnosis such as his it could take up to 6 weeks before you even begin to see any improvement.

Right now, prior to the POA, like tomorrow if possible, you need to have your son sign a consent form, if he hasn't done so already, giving consent for the doctors to discuss treatment with you. Without this consent form his diagnosis and treatment options are privately held between your son and his doctor. The HIPAA laws are much more stringent when it comes to mental health.

Jul 28, 2007, 12:17 PM
    Thanks again J -9. I already signed a release form. I don't have any money for a lawyer. The social security lawyer won't charge anything unless he wins the case.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 28, 2007, 12:24 PM
    What is the social security lawyer suing for? Is he suing so that your son gets social security and medicaid?

I am not sure you really need a lawyer for this. Have you applied for both and been turned down already?

Jul 29, 2007, 01:28 PM
    Yes we have already been denied,so I was told to hire a lawyer for his claim.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2007, 05:36 PM
    Keep your attorney posted and on top of things. Depending on the severity of his condition and how well he responds to treatment or not depends on whether he can voluntarily leave or if the state will attempt to get a court to have him committed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How will I know if I am mentally ill or if it is just stress? [ 4 Answers ]

Two years ago, I was diagnosed with schizophrenia. I did all the research on what it is. I don't believe that I have it. I was abused very badly on many occasions as a child and recently on jobs and by family members and people who I thought were my friends. I believe that it is just trauma from my...

Assisted suicide for mentally ill [ 6 Answers ]

A legal option in some countries, which ones?

Mentally I'm NOT okay with this [ 10 Answers ]

My sister had her baby at 8:49am it is now 9:35am. This is her 3rd baby and she turned 17 in February... Her first baby shae gave up for adoption her second one she kept and this one she gave up for adoption as well. When people ask me, "Is your sister keeping the baby?" I tell them the truth "No,...

Mentally ill parents [ 7 Answers ]

As some of you may know, both my biological parents had a serious mental illness. I am working on a book for adult children of mentally ill parents, sort of a semi-autobiography of my own life, but I would also like to include stories from others. I have interviewed a few people in my city, but I...

Mentally ill parent and their debt [ 3 Answers ]

My parent has been declared mentally and physically unable to handle anything. Entered the nursing home from the hospital and has several credit card debts. Sold home to settle debts five years ago, and at the time was mentally/physically able to make all decisions. For the last two years, I...

View more questions Search