Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LinfieldPA Posts: 32, Reputation: 3

Jul 27, 2007, 09:53 AM
    Stray kitten with deformed pupil
    Hi,
    I have found a stray cat and her litter in my neighborhood and am trying to find them homes. I can't take them in right now because I have 2 cats of my own and am already caring for 2 other strays, and local no-kill shelters are currently full.
    I'm particularly concerned about one of the kittens (see pic) with a strangely-shaped pupil. At first, I thought it was dilated, but now I think it looks like it doesn't "close" at the bottom. Has anyone ever seen this before, or have any idea what it could be? I just don't want the cat to have vision problems it's whole life when maybe some medication or something now could help.

Thank you very much for any advice...
    Attached Images

mandieluu Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2007, 11:40 AM
    Take It to the VET

Jul 27, 2007, 12:12 PM
    I'm not sure where you live mandieluu, but in PA, vets are VERY unhelpful to strays. I've called several dozen vets and none will give even a small discount on any services for strays. And the SPCA here flat out told me that they put almost all strays down when they're brought in. I hate to make it about money, but I've just spent $500+ on 2 other strays in the last month (for neutering and for a bad wound one suffered), and have brought another to a no-kill shelter. I'm not even sure if there IS something "wrong" with this kitten, he seems healthy and playful. I just don't want to spend $60 for a vet to tell me it's a birth defect and nothing can be done. Just hoping someone on here may have seen this condition before and could provide some insight.
    Thanks.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2007, 10:09 AM
    Linfield, I thought others here who know cats better than I do, might have responded to you by now. I do rescue work with both cats & dogs, along with fostering & retraining of dogs for rehousing. My knowledge of cats is limited to the basics, so I don't usually respond to this forum. You are a truly wonderful person for doing all that you have been doing. I wish their were more people like you in this world. I know exactly what you are saying about vets & strays. It is pretty much across the board anywhere you go in the U.S. with the unwillingness to help, unless a person states they will be responsible for the costs. I am not completely sure but it looks as if your kitten is blind in that one eye. Do both his eyes follow your movements and appear to focus on you? If so, then I would guess that it is a birth defect that might or might not be correctable with surgery. The only way to really know what is going on is through a vet visit. I know this is impossible at the moment, so I have some suggestions for you.

Do you have any friends who feel the same way you do about cats and might be willing to foot the bill for a vet visit? You might want to think about starting a small fund for strays so that you aren't caught short of cash. Approach people who you work with, neighbors, family members, friends. Tell them anything would be appreciated to help you defer the costs. Just be careful doing this in your workplace. Make sure there isn't a policy against it. If this won't work for you, you might ask the vets in your area if they will allow you to put flyers with pictures, up in their offices requesting donations for the medical care of these kittens and, if the kittens aren't feral, that you are looking for permanent homes for them.
    pompano Posts: 293, Reputation: 40

Jul 30, 2007, 03:41 PM
    There could be many things that may cause this,but an old eye injury or maybe some sort of disease is likely.The cat seems fine,otherwise,but I know you are worried.I have cats that were born with extreme deformities,and are doing very well with the body they were given.I would ask a vet if you may show him this picture,and most will give you their advice as what may be the problem.I really don't think it is a disease,but it may make you feel better to hear it from a vet.Let us know if you find out.The kitty is very cute no matter what!:)

Aug 13, 2007, 12:24 PM
    Thank you for your answers. I was able to get a neighbor's relative to take them in and care for them until they're adopted... 2 of the 5 have already found homes, and the other 3 are doing well.
    The kitten pictured is one that has already been adopted. If and when I hear what the vet has to say about the eye, I will post back.

Again, thank you very much for your posts.

P.S. I've had the mother spayed and she is also doing well
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2007, 12:34 PM
    You are truly a kind and good hearted person. Yes, please let us know the outcome. I am very interested in finding out what caused this and if it is correctible.
    LittleMiss3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2009, 01:29 PM
    One of my cats' kittens was born with (it looks to be) the same eye problem, it's called iris coloboma. There's nothing you can do and it won't harm the kitten. The only "side effect" is light sensitivity, but it usually dosen't bother them too much! Believe it or not, humans can be born with it too. It is sometimes referred to as "Cat Eye".
    Good luck with finding homes for all those kitties - both my cat and dog were strays :D
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2009, 06:18 AM

How many threads from 2007 are going to be drug up this week :rolleyes:

Thank you for the information littlemiss but please check the dates before posting as when you post on an old thread it bumps it back up to the top and everyone thinks it is a new question.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blind girl helped by deformed guy... Title? [ 3 Answers ]

This guy with this really ugly lumpy face helps this blind girl... there's a part about something cold and he says something like... this is blue... and then there's something hot and he says its red... I can't remember the name... help!

Took in stray cat possible kitten/ appears pregnant [ 2 Answers ]

A few weeks ago, I took in a stray cat... She may be a kitten, she's kind of small and very playful. Recently, my fianc'e and I noticed her stomach was getting larger. She appears to be pregnant and she is not very playful she just wants to sleep everywhere around the house. I am not sure if she...

Pupil different sizes [ 20 Answers ]

Hello all,I have a very worrying problem and would like to know if anybody has experienced this... Ok I've been suffering headachs for 6months,been to the dr's countless of times and been told its sinus related.. Anyway this isn't about my headachs,well not much. The thing is 4nights ago, I saw...

Teeths deformed [ 1 Answers ]

Am 29 and I wich my teeths become as they were when I was 20. Now I have too of my front teeths out of there places, because of my gum probably Is there any way I can make them strait?. considering my age.

Pregnant stray [ 7 Answers ]

We've had a pregnant stray hanging around for a little over a month now. We've been feeding her and provided a crate in the garage hoping she would opt to have the kittens in there. She's very friendly and loves all the attentions she's been getting. Today, we ddn't see her for most of the day...

View more questions Search