Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dalk39 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2003, 02:09 AM
    Hayfields to wildflowers.
    I am a Minnesota farmer and would like to convert my alfalfa and clover hayfields to (non-bloat causing) birdsfoot trefoil.

At the same time, I'd like to add wildflower seeds to attract songbirds, butterflies and hummingbirds, especially wildflowers which are perenniel or good reseeding annuals--persistant under occaisonal and limited haying or grazing conditions.

I'd like to know which wildflowers are especially noted for attracting songbirds, butterflies and hummingbirds. At the same time, I need to avoid wildflowers which may be toxic to livestock. Lupine is one I know about. I'd like to avoid bloat causing legumes such as clovers and alfalfa. Hopefully, I'll find a range of wildflowers that grow well with trefoil and aren't a problem as forage.

Know of any good sources of bulk wildflower seed?

I realize this is all a bit complicated. Any thoughts and suggestions appreciated.
    Allegator243 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2009, 09:51 PM
    In Pennsylvania , PENDOT (PA. Dept. of Transpportation) has planted sections of limited access highway mediums in wildflowers . I'm sure that they researched this a great deal before implimenting the policy , so they must have a source of large quanity of natural flower seeds. I would suggest either contacting them OR an aggriculture college like Penn State University (located in State College PA). I hope this helps... Al

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search