Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tammit Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2007, 12:59 AM
    Spousal support
    My husband's ex wife remarried and he is still paying her spousal support, is he supposed to still pay her
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Jul 27, 2007, 03:10 AM
    All states have different rules . What sort of spousal support does your husband pay... I know about 4 types:Permanent,Lump sum,Temporary and Rehabilitative.Under new laws passed in 1999, there are three different types of spousal support, and each has a different purpose. A dissolution judgment must label the award (more than one type can be ordered in the same case) and include facts that show why the award is appropriate.

For transitional support, the judge looks at what support is necessary to help the spouse get an education or training to re-enter or advance in the job market.

For compensatory support, the judge decides what will repay a spouse for a major financial or other contribution to the education, career, or earning ability of the other spouse.

For spousal maintenance, the judge considers what support is appropriate to keep a standard of living similar to what was enjoyed in the marriage. This support could be ordered for a specific time, or permanently. Many factors affect this decision.

His divorce judgment or spousal support judgment would say when spousal support ends.Spousal support does not always end when the spouse who is getting support remarries.
    He must petition the court for a change.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it a bad thing if I get spousal support from ex? [ 11 Answers ]

I was getting spousal support from my ex-husband. My boyfriend judge me was a bad thing I did. And he thinks I take advantage of the law of marriage. I try to explained to him and make him understand my situation of my marriage because my ex doesn’t want to work the marriage out, it wasn’t I am the...

Spousal Support [ 10 Answers ]

In my final divorce decree. I am responsible to pay spousal support to my ex-wife for two years. I live in Virginia State. Now, during the two years my ex-wife got married and never informed the courts of the legal change in her maritiall status! My question is whether or not the spousal support...

SSDI and spousal support [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. I know I don't have to pay taxes on my SSDI (social security disability) but do I have to pay taxes on spousal support. Here in Indianapolis, we don't have alimony. But my future ex-husband has to pay me spousal support because I am on SSDI. Thanks Shirley

Spousal Support [ 2 Answers ]

I am in divorce now. No minor children, married for 25 years. Do I still have to pay spusal support and is DissoMaster the correct way for this purpose?

Spousal Support--Reconsideration [ 1 Answers ]

I recently missed a hearing to revisit my spousal support order. Due to my absence the Judge ordered for me to continue paying the amount previously decided on plus an additional amount which was in arrears. I filed a motion for reconsideration and got a new court date in March. My question is,...

View more questions Search