Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cynahmon Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2007, 10:47 PM
    What's a credit judgement?
    I'm being sued by a credit card company, even though I am currently unemployed.
    They said they would put a judgement against me that would last 20 years.. what exactly does that mean? Is that worst then filing for bankruptcy? What can I do when I go to court?
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2007, 03:53 AM
    If you have been serve a summons to appear in court, than they are suing you, if not they are trying to scare you.

If you received a summons, file Notice of Intend to Defend. They will make them appear in court to verifiy they have a claim against you.
    DianeV Sr Loan Officer Posts: 76, Reputation: 9

Aug 4, 2007, 11:45 AM
    A judgement is not worse than bankruptcy. In order to get a judgement they have to take you to court and have a judge order you to pay. That is a judgement. When you appear in court you are able to tell the judge your circumstances and offer a payback arrangement that meets your situation, i.e.. $10.00 per month. Judgements only last as long as it takes you to pay it off. When the debt is paid a judgement is released. It is important the release be filed so it appears as a satisfied judgement on your credit report.

Try offering the collection agency a minimum every month, to show you are willing to pay.

If they don't take it, let them take you to court and tell it to the judge. As long as you are willing to pay something should be able to be worked out.

Aug 4, 2007, 09:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DianeV Sr Loan Officer
    A judgement is not worse than bankruptcy. In order to get a judgement they have to take you to court and have a judge order you to pay. That is a judgement. When you appear in court you are able to tell the judge your circumstances and offer a payback arrangement that meets your situation, ie. $10.00 per month. Judgements only last as long as it takes you to pay it off. When the debt is paid a judgement is released. It is important the release be filed so it appears as a satisfied judgement on your credit report.

Try offering the collection agency a minimum every month, to show you are willing to pay.

If they don't take it, let them take you to court and tell it to the judge. As long as you are willing to pay something should be able to be worked out.

I would like to pay, but I am in a huge dilemma. I'm not working so I have no income and the only monies I get is my son's SSI money which I use to pay my rent so I don't become homeless with a 1 year old and I'm left with 88 dollars for the rent of the month which I have to use for basic neccessties, such as diapers and food. It's so hard living on a fixed income. But can they make me pay even if I have to live on less then 20 dollars per week?:
    DianeV Sr Loan Officer Posts: 76, Reputation: 9

Aug 4, 2007, 11:02 PM
    They have to take you to court to make you pay. The collection account will be on your credit report as will a judgement. If they take you to court you should go and explain your situation to the judge and see what he says.

Is it possible that someone can help with your baby so you can work a few hours a week? Maybe share time with another mom. You watch hers and then she watches yours so you can get some extra money?

Aug 5, 2007, 04:39 AM
    That baby was born premature with a few complications. He will turn 2 this month an and I have started looking for a daycare for him. I really don't know anyone I trust with him so a daycare is a much controlled environment for me to put him in. I have worked all my life so my bills were always paid, the pregnancy was a minor set back for me. Well I go to court this month lets see what happens, I was almost about to file for bankruptcy. Because I truly have no money, since a judgement isn't worst then that I will just take my chances.

Thank you for all your advice.

Aug 5, 2007, 04:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.yet
    If you have been serve a summons to appear in court, than they are suing you, if not they are trying to scare you.

If you received a summons, file Notice of Intend to Defend. they will make them appear in court to verifiy they have a claim against you.

Thank you for your advice.
    tena Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2008, 02:06 PM
    If you don't appear to the summon then what

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit Judgement [ 1 Answers ]

Can creditors dip into your checking or savings account?

Credit Card Judgement.what to do? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a large debt to 2 credit card companies totaling approximately $28,000. I ran into financial difficulty with my business (I owned numerous rental properties and lost 3 of them to foreclosure). Bottom line is I have not made a payment on this debt in well over a year. The two...

Will my credit be hurt with a judgement? [ 3 Answers ]

An X Friend is suing me in small claims court. (Under $1,500) He is not a company, but rather an old friend. If I do not show up for court and get served a judgement, will this affect my credit score? My attorny has advised me to "no show" and file for an appeal. My FICA score is above 800 and I...

Judgement on my credit [ 2 Answers ]

I have a judgement on my credit that is really hurting my credit score. How can I remove the judgement off my credit.

Credit card judgement [ 1 Answers ]

My husband has a credit card judgement against him. The company attempted to garnish his checking account - which has no money in it. He has attempted to contact them for 2 weeks to make payment arrangements. No one is returning his calls. What can he do next? Also can a credit card company...

View more questions Search