Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Aug 13, 2007, 02:00 AM
    Finally:
    If the question is,"Does termination of parental rights mean termination of support obligation" many states answer:"YES"
    But if the question is,"Can I terminate my rights to avoid my support obligation" or "Can I terminate my ex's rights..." without any reason /as the reasons above/-all states answer"NO'.
    :) :) :)
    Family Law Expert

Aug 13, 2007, 02:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by goodkat
    ok well i've made my decision.... decided to go ahead and terminate my rights as my daughters father. .. so now my question is how can i terminate my rights as her father without having to pay attorney fees? i would like to do this without having to pay a lot of money cause well i just don't have money for an attorney
    Hi,goodkat!
    You cannot terminate your rights if your daughter's step father is not willing to adopt her neither with an attorney nor without an attorney... If he is willing to adopt your daughter it will be easy-you have to sign over your rights/ notarized / and to allow him to do it... or you can go to court when adoption is starting... that's all.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 13, 2007, 05:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by GV70
    If the question is,"Does termination of parental rights mean termination of support obligation" many states answer:"YES"
    but if the question is,"Can I terminate my rights to avoid my support obligation" or "Can I terminate my ex's rights..." without any reason /as the reasons above/-all states answer"NO'.
    :) :) :)
    A very clear summation. This is the way I understanod it (after further research and your explanations). The Texas statutes I browsed were voluminuous. I don't think anyone can look at a single statute in such a large number and say its definitive. Also, the Texas statute in question is one of a series that deals only with TPR. There is a whole other section that deals with child support.

What I think it all boils down to is best interests of the child. And it's the courts function to make that determination.
    Family Law Expert

Aug 13, 2007, 05:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    I don't think anyone can look at a single statute in such a large number and say its definitive.
    Many do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    What I think it all boils down to is best interests of the child. And its the courts function to make that determination.
    Neither courts nor legislators are interested in who pays... they are interested in someone to pay and it is s.c. Public Policy.The involuntary termination or voluntary relinquishment of parental rights are allowed to transfer of rights and obligations from a parent to the new one and /if the parents are criminals/ the goal of TPR is the child to be legally free with hope someone to adopt him/her... that is to say TO TRANSFER parental rights and obligations...
    Mary Surette Posts: 43, Reputation: 0
    -

Aug 17, 2007, 10:23 PM
    Scott person, I'm glad you agree with the Texas Family Code. Yes, termination of parental rights -- voluntary termination is possible in Texas and divestment (duties for child support) is possible for one who seeks it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 17, 2007, 10:31 PM
    I guess in the end, to answer the original question, there is really no cheap way to end your rights. It will invovle attorneys and a lot of legal work and most likely several court visits.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 18, 2007, 06:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Surette
    Scott person, I'm glad you agree with the Texas Family Code. Yes, termination of parental rights -- voluntary termination is possible in Texas and divestment (duties for child support) is possible for one who seeks it.
    I've never disagreed with the Texas code. While it may be possible, its not probable. While the code allows it it also makes it extremely difficult.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I want to terminate my parental rights [ 6 Answers ]

I need to know how to terminate my parental rights to my kids who hate me and refuse to visit .

Terminate parental rights [ 4 Answers ]

My son who is 15, used to live with me and my wife. I had physical custody. He became violent and disruptive and very hard to handle. My exwife moved him in with her for a while, but he also got into trouble there. To make a long story short,he now lives with my ex brother in law and he now has...

Can an adoptive father terminate his parental rights? [ 2 Answers ]

:p :p I have a close friend that adopted his wife's son after they were married. Now, they are separated, filing for divorce and my friend has not seen his son in well over a year. He is currently paying child support as ordered and covering this child under his HI. Before the separation, his...

Terminate parental rights [ 1 Answers ]

I have a child who has never had contact with her father. He left me when I was 5 weeks pregnant. I want to know what I need to do to terminate parental rights in Texas.

Dyfs wants to terminate my parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

:mad: I need to find out if anyone is familiar with this subject... in NJ.. Need advice ASAP!! 5 Children and 1 is a newborn!! Have comleted all services in 13 months that dyfs has given us * parenting * counseling * family counseling * Indivual counseling My husband completed a...

View more questions Search